Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
z0mb13k1ll

Drives: '15 Dodge Challenger
new CAI issues (too lean)

So i installed a Cold Air Intake(CPT) and a nice oiled filter + hydroshield(Injen), but after 5 hours of driving the car now continually trips the Check Engine Light saying my mixture is too lean.

I have researched a few things

First thing it could be is
It says maybe if the filter is over-oiled then it could gum up the MAF sensor so it should be cleaned. What would be the best way for going about cleaning the MAF sensor without risking damage to the sensor?

Second thing it could be is
It says it could be caused by a vacuum leak in the system, I have checked all my connections and they are sung with no apparent leaks. My brake booster however is shot and after purchasing a replacement from a scrapper i looked up how much of a pain it is to replace, being such a small car it does not really need the booster as I have been driving without it for at least 2 years now. I ran my little bluetooth scanner using torque on my phone and the vac pressure sits at about 25 idle, 15 cruising and can go as low as -1.5 under heavy acceleration. I have heard it should never drop below 1. Would there be an easy way to block off the hose to the brake booster or should i just take the whole day and rip apart my car to replace it and hope i do it properly?

Car is still running okay and has a very nice front-end growl to it under acceleration which i like a lot, just annoying the CEL is coming on and I would like to get the issue addressed hopefully this week.

I will be adding pictures possibly later today of the new intake
z0mb13k1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Use MAF cleaner to clean it. This can be found at a local auto parts store.

Easiest way to check for vacuum leaks is to use your scanner and view long and short term fuel trims. If the values drastically change under 2500rpm compared to idle then it's likely a vacuum leak.

Use an incense stick to find where the leak is. It is likely due to one of these 2 issues.

I don't know how vacuum would ever get to -1.5, technically that is going into boost which is impossible in a non boosted car regardless of a vacuum leak or not. (somone correct me if i'm wrong)
Old 04-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
z0mb13k1ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Use MAF cleaner to clean it. This can be found at a local auto parts store.)
I will pick some up today on my way home and see if that does the trick, hopefully i can get the MAF sensor off easily as it is now very close to the battery on the back side of the pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I don't know how vacuum would ever get to -1.5, technically that is going into boost which is impossible in a non boosted car regardless of a vacuum leak or not. (somone correct me if i'm wrong)
I was unsure how i was getting readings below 0 as well, but that is the info i was picking up from torque at least.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
z0mb13k1ll

and it was inches of mercury, not PSI. here is a screenshot from yesterday

Old 04-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
What is the ID of the intake you have? If it deviates from the stock size it will mess up the MAF reading. Bigger pipe = less air velocity = a reading too low on the MAF and not enough fuel delivered.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
get an intake that is actually R&D'd for your car. Bluevitz-rs nailed it. I recommend K&N, Injen. NOT EBAY

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #7
z0mb13k1ll

it is a 2.25" ID on the intake. I read that the evap sensor will compensate for slightly different pipe diameters as long as the ID isn't anything waaay different. I wasn't prepared to spend a few hundred on an intake for my car. The injen intake system appears to be approx 2 to 2.25" at the MAF sensor from what i can tell
Old 04-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #8
z0mb13k1ll

So the aftermarket intake pipe is actually 2.01" @ the MAF sensor and the stock one was 2.17" @ the MAF sensor. cleaned the sensor with some SensorKleen and it works perfectly now, cleaned the icky throttle body while I was there and fixed the rough idle too.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
My next thing to suggest was cleaning your MAF sensor. A dirty one will cause a LEAN condition too.

A smaller pipe will make the car run RICHER and could potentially hurt fuel economy. But will make it run much richer in open loop.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light, cold air intake, sedan