Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-30-2022, 06:05 PM   #1
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Rotted out rear end

As some of you know....the Yaris is susceptible to severe corrosion where the rear trailing arms and beam are welded. This can eventually lead to complete failure and collapse of the rear suspension. Thankfully I notice the severe lean-in of the left rear tire on my daughter's '10 Liftback before something potentially tragic happened.

Forget finding a new one. There are none in The States. In fact, there's a national back order. I was able to locate 4 rear ends from various salvage yards. Unfortunately they were rotted out as well.

After crossing referencing the OEM part number I realized the same rear end is also used in the Prius C and the Scion xD. I was able to expand my search now. I got lucky and found a clean xD axle from a more southern state, with little to no corrosion.

She's now back on the road now. Just thought I would pass this info along in case it's not well known.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:07 AM   #2
Billiam

https://youtu.be/dSqYi38AQmE
Old 05-17-2022, 12:17 PM   #3
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
got pics of the rust????

i dont live in a salt state thankfully but id really like to see it so i know where i should look to apply some rust prevention..
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:43 PM   #4
Billiam

Mine looked exactly like the one in the video. These things rot from the inside
Old 05-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #5
sh0rtlife

ugh i hate vids, anyone got pic's?..if they rust from the inside out it sounds like there must be a hole in em somewhere, need to coat the insides to prevent it
Old 05-28-2022, 02:24 PM   #6
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
ugh i hate vids, anyone got pic's?..if they rust from the inside out it sounds like there must be a hole in em somewhere, need to coat the insides to prevent it
Just click the link. It's a video from YouTube
Old 08-14-2022, 02:42 AM   #7
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
That's scary, time to check mine and maybe reinforce.
I caught some paint bubbling and brown spreading under the sedan rear seat drain plugs on either side of where the fuel pump service door is. Youtube comments say the subframe and steering rack and pinion mount bolts rust off
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 04:39 AM   #8
Billiam

Quote:
...need to coat the insides to prevent it
Before I installed it I cleaned and coated the entire new beam in POR15. After that cured, I filled the inside trailing arms with Liquid Wrench Rust Inhibitor, let it sit for a day and filled them again. And just the other day I pulled the rear wheels, shot more Inhibitor in the arms and applied all around the exterior welds.

I refuse to let what happened this past spring happen again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220422_125635.jpg (138.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 20220423_124218.jpg (102.2 KB, 134 views)
Old 10-28-2022, 04:52 PM   #9
sh0rtlife

i inspected mine when i did the rear brakes and honestly couldnt find any signs of issues..in fact if you told me the car was under 5 years old id belive you...so i suspect its a rust belt thing and nothing those of us outside teh rust belt even need to worry about
Old 10-28-2022, 09:45 PM   #10
Billiam

Quote:
i inspected mine when i did the rear brakes and honestly couldnt find any signs of issues..in fact if you told me the car was under 5 years old id belive you...so i suspect its a rust belt thing and nothing those of us outside teh rust belt even need to worry about

Though we do get some snow from time to time....I don't live in the rust belt
Old 10-29-2022, 01:31 AM   #11
sh0rtlife

where abouts are you? any chance the car spent some time on salted roads?

i know the 07 ive got has barely over 100k on it and has only spent time in BC and oregon with some runs inbetween obviously.....honestly im suprised that living on vancouver island didnt cause a bunch of rust with the se salt air
Old 10-30-2022, 08:18 PM   #12
Billiam

Quote:
where abouts are you? any chance the car spent some time on salted roads?

i know the 07 ive got has barely over 100k on it and has only spent time in BC and oregon with some runs inbetween obviously.....honestly im suprised that living on vancouver island didnt cause a bunch of rust with the se salt air
I'm the 2nd owner. It has spent it's entire life in Central Ky
Old 10-30-2022, 08:22 PM   #13
Billiam

I could kick myself for not taking better pictures of the old rear end. Unfortunately this is all I have and it doesn't show the actual separation of the beam and trailing arm. All you really see is the rust and dirt that fell out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220423_111207.jpg (175.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 10-31-2022, 01:29 PM   #14
sh0rtlife

so it sounds like its a rust from the inside out kinda thing eh..if thats the case we all should pull em and hose the insides down with a combination of things..my goto in this case will likely be "zero rust", having used por15, eastwoods version and a few others..the zero rust is just as good at a fraction of the the costs...especialy on "internal" unseen stuff

por and eastwood both end up with better "seen" finishes while the zerorust is designed for "equipment and trailers" where abuse taking is more important than finish quality
Old 10-31-2022, 06:26 PM   #15
Billiam

Yes...they rot from the inside out. Don't be fooled by looking at the outside and thinking things are fine. Every time I rotated my tires, adjust brakes, etc I always checked things out. It never occurred to me that anything was wrong. It all looked fine. It wasn't until it actually broke that I realized there was a problem that had been lurking internally....probably for years.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:58 AM   #16
Calrenman

Drives: 2015 Toyota Yaris LE Hatchie
zinc oxide rust inhibitors.

I had a 20 year old Geo Metro and was about to spray the green oxide inside the frame channels and kick boards. I crunched the car before I did the frame coatings. It was a shame the car had a full urethane suspension abd big swaybars. It handled like it was on rails in the canyons here in L.A. / Ventura counties. Hear is a link to the interior frame coatings.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-in...z-aerosol.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Yes...they rot from the inside out. Don't be fooled by looking at the outside and thinking things are fine. Every time I rotated my tires, adjust brakes, etc I always checked things out. It never occurred to me that anything was wrong. It all looked fine. It wasn't until it actually broke that I realized there was a problem that had been lurking internally....probably for years.
Calrenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 01:24 PM   #17
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calrenman View Post
I had a 20 year old Geo Metro and was about to spray the green oxide inside the frame channels and kick boards. I crunched the car before I did the frame coatings. It was a shame the car had a full urethane suspension abd big swaybars. It handled like it was on rails in the canyons here in L.A. / Ventura counties. Hear is a link to the interior frame coatings.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-in...z-aerosol.html
That's very similar to the Liquid Wrench Rust Inhibitor that I used. The problem is, dirt and debri accumulate in the trailing arms over time. That material tends to get wet and stay wet. The corrosion will always effect the weak points first....that being the welds. So if someone is going to apply any type of rust inhibitor to the inside of the trailing arms I suggest they rinse them out thoroughly first and let them dry for a couple of days
Old 12-02-2023, 07:55 PM   #18
kobe52

Drives: Yaris
good headsup.

do you have a part number/s for the scion replacements?
kobe52 is offline   Reply With Quote