Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2022, 12:53 AM   #1
yaris2014toyota

Drives: Yaris 2014 2-Door LE
Hatch lock won't allow key to enter any more

Yaris 2014 LE 2-Door Liftback here.

The hatch lock has suddenly stopped accepting my key. The little door on the key hole simply won't give way for the key. I pressed pretty hard and caused a huge dent in it.

Before I take it to a professional locksmith, got any tips for me on what I should try doing?

Thanks in advance.
yaris2014toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:44 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
In South Dakota you have to lock your car? Here in New Jersey my wife is always after me to lock my car. Fortunately where I live it’s not necessary.

My wife always locked her 91 Honda accord station wagon with a manual transmission. I think it was in 2000 and it had 150,000 miles on it somebody stole it! Even though it was locked!

My neighbor heard the slap hammer jacking out the ignition cylinder and called the cops and me. The cops arrived just as I open the door and the thieves were driving away. I thought “you poor fools you’re going to get caught and go to jail“

I neednt Have worried. The cops didn’t chase them they let them go! It was a Friday night about two in the morning. The cop said “don’t worry will put it on the stolen list first thing Monday morning”

But seriously I think you’re doing the right thing going to a locksmith! Good luck and tell us what happens!
Old 11-14-2022, 06:57 AM   #3
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Put a little motor oil on the key and insert it, then try slowly turning it.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:01 PM   #4
yaris2014toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
In South Dakota you have to lock your car? Here in New Jersey my wife is always after me to lock my car. Fortunately where I live it’s not necessary.

My wife always locked her 91 Honda accord station wagon with a manual transmission. I think it was in 2000 and it had 150,000 miles on it somebody stole it! Even though it was locked!

My neighbor heard the slap hammer jacking out the ignition cylinder and called the cops and me. The cops arrived just as I open the door and the thieves were driving away. I thought “you poor fools you’re going to get caught and go to jail“

I neednt Have worried. The cops didn’t chase them they let them go! It was a Friday night about two in the morning. The cop said “don’t worry will put it on the stolen list first thing Monday morning”

But seriously I think you’re doing the right thing going to a locksmith! Good luck and tell us what happens!
By and large, South Dakota has very low crime (partly due to high gun-ownership rates). But there's also a lot of homelessness where I'm at, and it's very cold, and it gets dark early, and people get desperate and start checking cars to see if they're unlocked.

I have on occasion by mistake left my car unlocked with windows down in a high foot-traffic area near my house, left it parked there for 2 nights (with cash in the dash), and come back and found everything untouched.
Old 11-15-2022, 04:11 AM   #5
bronsin

I worked in Camden New Jersey for 37 years murder capital of the world.

When I parked in the parking lot at work there was nothing in my car and I left it unlocked. People looking to get money for drugs would break into cars looking for things they could sell. If the doors were locked they would smash the windows!

Yes there’s high crime in New Jersey. I grew up in upstate New York in a very rural area but had to leave because I lost my job in Schenectady. When I moved to New Jersey I went to the police to get a permit for my shotgun. The cop at my local police station said “why would I give you A permit for a gun you might shoot me with?“ It’s legal to own a gun in New Jersey without a permit, you just can’t buy one. As long as you keep it in your house it’s legal but the cops have the option of putting you in jail if they find you with a gun without a permit and you’re not in your house.During the Black Lives Matter riots in Philadelphia the cops skedaddled and let the rioters run rampant. Gangs of rioters Roamed Philly burning and looting at will for years!

In the New Jersey/Philadelphia area it’s estimated 60% of all cars don’t have insurance. It’s possible to title and register your car without proof of insurance you just have to make up a policy number.

If you’re black and poor you can also get a waiver from the state in New Jersey to drive a car without liability insurance. Or maybe if you’re just poor I don’t know. A woman high on drugs going 40 miles an hour in a Wegmans parking lot hit my sons Yaris I bought it for him and totaled it. she also came very close to running down a pedestrian.

They let her go.

I was driving to work one afternoon with a car Going in the opposite direction cross a double yellow line. I violently swerved off the road Honking my horn at the same time. I jumped at 8 inch curved wrecking my right tire and wheel. The guy woke up when he heard my horn and tried to run away. I ran after him despite the wrecked tire and forced him off the road. The neighbors called the cops. It wasn’t the guys car, the only documents in the car were an expired insurance card, and he didn’t have a drivers license or any ID. Because they were no marks on either car The cops didn’t believe a word I said and they let the other guy go!

Nor is that all!
Old 11-16-2022, 02:37 PM   #6
yaris2014toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I worked in Camden New Jersey for 37 years murder capital of the world.

When I parked in the parking lot at work there was nothing in my car and I left it unlocked. People looking to get money for drugs would break into cars looking for things they could sell. If the doors were locked they would smash the windows!

Yes there’s high crime in New Jersey. I grew up in upstate New York in a very rural area but had to leave because I lost my job in Schenectady. When I moved to New Jersey I went to the police to get a permit for my shotgun. The cop at my local police station said “why would I give you A permit for a gun you might shoot me with?“ It’s legal to own a gun in New Jersey without a permit, you just can’t buy one. As long as you keep it in your house it’s legal but the cops have the option of putting you in jail if they find you with a gun without a permit and you’re not in your house.During the Black Lives Matter riots in Philadelphia the cops skedaddled and let the rioters run rampant. Gangs of rioters Roamed Philly burning and looting at will for years!

In the New Jersey/Philadelphia area it’s estimated 60% of all cars don’t have insurance. It’s possible to title and register your car without proof of insurance you just have to make up a policy number.

If you’re black and poor you can also get a waiver from the state in New Jersey to drive a car without liability insurance. Or maybe if you’re just poor I don’t know. A woman high on drugs going 40 miles an hour in a Wegmans parking lot hit my sons Yaris I bought it for him and totaled it. she also came very close to running down a pedestrian.

They let her go.

I was driving to work one afternoon with a car Going in the opposite direction cross a double yellow line. I violently swerved off the road Honking my horn at the same time. I jumped at 8 inch curved wrecking my right tire and wheel. The guy woke up when he heard my horn and tried to run away. I ran after him despite the wrecked tire and forced him off the road. The neighbors called the cops. It wasn’t the guys car, the only documents in the car were an expired insurance card, and he didn’t have a drivers license or any ID. Because they were no marks on either car The cops didn’t believe a word I said and they let the other guy go!

Nor is that all!
Thank you for your heartwarming story.

Makes me feel better about living with 2 feet of snow outside, freezing temperatures, and a storm warning for the rest of the day.

The story about someone crashing into your son, I started reading that thinking it was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZjP87-fnVk
Old 11-16-2022, 03:17 PM   #7
bronsin

On the positive side in New Jersey there are no forest fires, volcanoes, earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes (at least if you don’t live near the shore) And there’s plenty of water. We don’t even get much snow anymore. There might be half a dozen days in summer when it’s brutally hot outside.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:55 PM   #8
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
the rear hatch lock sucks on our cars, they always stick and seize, to fix it right, pull the rear hatch panel off, take out your latch and lock cylinder, use graphite grease and lube up all friction points, that will fix it
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:36 PM   #9
yaris2014toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
the rear hatch lock sucks on our cars, they always stick and seize, to fix it right, pull the rear hatch panel off, take out your latch and lock cylinder, use graphite grease and lube up all friction points, that will fix it
Thank you very much for the suggestion.

How difficult is it to take off the rear hatch panel in your experience?
Old 11-18-2022, 12:44 PM   #10
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
its not difficult, its held on with push pins, not sure on 3rd gens but check if theres any screws around visible, otherwise its pops off with a little force, it soubds scary but it wont break anything
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 02:21 PM   #11
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Can confirm no screws on 3rd gen. Just pops off but feels like it won't...until it does.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch, key, lock