Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2023, 08:01 AM   #109
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeer View Post
Looking good bro
Thanks Bro! I'm glad it's finally done. I was losing sleep a week prior because I kept thinking about the install.

I think I'll share another guide how to do a disc conversion, to include PN from Toyota.

I think my friend is willing to produce the back plates for $75 USD if anyone's interested, plus shipping.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 01:54 PM   #110
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
Thanks Bro! I'm glad it's finally done. I was losing sleep a week prior because I kept thinking about the install.

I think I'll share another guide how to do a disc conversion, to include PN from Toyota.

I think my friend is willing to produce the back plates for $75 USD if anyone's interested, plus shipping.
Very nice result!
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:16 PM   #111
Neinris

The rear wheels sticks out about even with the front now. I’ve yet to paint the front calipers red, or maybe I’ll paint the rear black like the front. Not sure which would look better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 90F697EA-8692-46D8-830F-8E239F41C829.jpeg (344.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpeg FFA6E9CE-BE00-4E07-9609-90AB5A2A914A.jpeg (429.6 KB, 83 views)
Old 03-05-2023, 04:23 PM   #112
Neinris

Actually…

I forgot to put into account that the drum brake back plates has some thickness to them, about 2mm. With the 1/4in plates (6.35mm), I’ve only added 4.35mm to each sides. The front are still .65mm wider at each side, 1.3mm wider total.
A7CAC2E1-A66E-46F2-BBB6-EC1A01BC0EB1.jpeg
The back of the hub dowel?, I don’t know what to call it, protrudes about 8.15mm, about .5mm is taken by the splash guard, so there’s still at least 1.3mm inserted in the axle beam. So the weight are not all on the bolts.
67C3E5E3-991B-49DC-9B20-E4A723ED7F7B.jpeg
Old 03-05-2023, 08:50 PM   #113
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
glad you finally got your rear discs done, never adjust and clean stupid drums ever again!
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 11:57 AM   #114
Neinris

Full circle…

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
glad you finally got your rear discs done, never adjust and clean stupid drums ever again!
Thanks remcafee… you were the first to reply to my thread 2 years ago almost to the day. I appreciate your inputs and assistance, along with everyone else.

Most have mentioned that these tiny cars don’t need rear disc brakes. That might be true, but it’d be so much more convenient to replace the brake pads now, and like you mentioned, no more adjusting and cleaning the stupid drums ever again!

The other factors I want to share are the fact that my fuel consumption has improved, not because the car is lighter now, but the fact that my drum brakes apparently overtightened themselves, which was causing some drag. Also, I’m no longer staying in 4th gear anticipating having to stop in my city driving.
I do have to get used to how quickly I stop now, before I was afraid of hitting the car in front of me, now I’m afraid of cars rear ending me…
I’ve mentioned that I don’t have ABS, I've tested if my rear wheels would lock up first, but I couldn’t get the wheels to lock up at all, granted I was only going 45mph. I’ll try to test again some other time.

The other “alternative” that I want to present are the fact that the Prius and 2nd Gen Scion xB (xB2) has the same mounting holes bolt pattern like the Yaris. If I’m a betting man, the rear axle beam from those vehicles will fit in the Yaris. So they present as an alternate to the Yaris SE rear axle beam.
My new neighbor has an xB2, I’ll see if he’s willing that I’d take measurements and take pics. I’ll post pics here if or when I get the chance.
Next project is 5X114.3 PCD conversion.

Oh, and I went ahead and painted the front calipers red. I took the brake pads off and put a bag over the rotors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D333B8BD-635F-482A-B018-D9E5A374480B.jpeg (411.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpeg 922C1D66-7623-4AC7-849C-004F5FEDEDEF.jpeg (456.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-07-2023, 07:59 PM   #115
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Thanks remcafee… you were the first to reply to my thread 2 years ago almost to the day. I appreciate your inputs and assistance, along with everyone else.

Most have mentioned that these tiny cars don’t need rear disc brakes. That might be true, but it’d be so much more convenient to replace the brake pads now, and like you mentioned, no more adjusting and cleaning the stupid drums ever again!

The other factors I want to share are the fact that my fuel consumption has improved, not because the car is lighter now, but the fact that my drum brakes apparently overtightened themselves, which was causing some drag. Also, I’m no longer staying in 4th gear anticipating having to stop in my city driving.
I do have to get used to how quickly I stop now, before I was afraid of hitting the car in front of me, now I’m afraid of cars rear ending me…
I’ve mentioned that I don’t have ABS, I've tested if my rear wheels would lock up first, but I couldn’t get the wheels to lock up at all, granted I was only going 45mph. I’ll try to test again some other time.

The other “alternative” that I want to present are the fact that the Prius and 2nd Gen Scion xB (xB2) has the same mounting holes bolt pattern like the Yaris. If I’m a betting man, the rear axle beam from those vehicles will fit in the Yaris. So they present as an alternate to the Yaris SE rear axle beam.
My new neighbor has an xB2, I’ll see if he’s willing that I’d take measurements and take pics. I’ll post pics here if or when I get the chance.
Next project is 5X114.3 PCD conversion.

Oh, and I went ahead and painted the front calipers red. I took the brake pads off and put a bag over the rotors.
Looks good, Ive been lazy and haven't painted mine yet...not sure what colour Id do other than red.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:55 AM   #116
Neinris

Requirements...

I was hoping to drop this comment yesterday to commemorate the two year start date of this project, but I got too busy.

Anyway, I know there's other threads out there that discusses what parts are required, etc., here's my version of what's required:

Rear disc conversion
Parts required:
Yaris SE parking brake cables (right) 4643052360 (left) 4642052370 [will require swapping hangers if not the same GEN Yaris]
Yaris SE rear axle beam 4210152160 or adaptor plates made
Yaris SE hard brake lines (right) 4732352110 (left) 4732452100
Brake hose retaining clips (2) 9046808035
Yaris SE brake hoses (2) 9094702E11
Brake dust shield (right) 4780352030 (left) 4780452030 [optional]
Yaris SE rear rotors (2) 4243152080
Toyota hub bearing mounting bolts (8) 90119A0350 [longer w/ washer (cut the washers out), not required if doing axle swap]
Yaris caliper carriers/bracket (2) 4782112151
Disc brake caliper pins (4) 4783512150
Bush dust boots (4) 4787512150
Caliper bracket mounting bolts (4) 91552C1035 [require washers if using adaptor plate vise axle swap]
Yaris Calipers (right) 4783052161 (left) 4785052161
Caliper mounting bolts (4) 90012AA102
Yaris SE rear brake pads (set) 0446652170
Yaris SE rear brake pads shim kit (set) 0494652080
Yaris SE rear brake pads anti-rattle clips (set) 0194812060
Toyota brake caliper banjo bolts (2) 90401A0001
Toyota caliper copper crush rings (4) 4738950020
Brake fluid of your choice
Note, these are all Toyota part numbers (according to parts.toyota.com), which are expensive. Aftermarket can be found for much cheaper and sometimes much complete where you don’t have to buy them piece by piece. I used a combination of RockAuto.com and EBay to get my parts. I was in no rush to get them, I did this over time when I have a little bit of money for myself, and so my pocket didn’t take too much toll.
Another option is you could go to the junkyard and pull them. If you’re looking for calipers in the junkyard, you could actually grab the 2nd GEN Scion xB’s (xB2) calipers, but use the Corolla rear caliper brackets, the xB2’s caliper brackets extends farther out to accommodate the 279mm diameter rotors, Yaris and Corolla rear rotors are only 259mm. The first pic right below shows the Corolla, xB2, and Yaris' calipers, then the Yaris's caliper over the xB2's caliper, to show that the bracket is extended out.
Corolla vs xB2 vs Yaris calipers.jpg
xB Yaris rear caliper.jpg
Also, I want to say that the Scion xB2 and Prius rear axle beam could probably be used as a replacement for the Yaris SE, but I'm not yet 100% sure at this point. I want to point out that the mounting hole bolt patterns are the same as the Yaris' rear wheel hubs.

If you’re not doing an axle swap, a couple of brackets must be made and welded on the axle beam for the rear most brake hoses that bolts to the calipers (sorry I don't have a picture of how I did this). What I did was mockup the locations by installing the hard lines first, then marked where the spots would be as close as possible to the stock locations. I believe that the brackets that I made are 1.5in (48mm) wide by 2in long (51mm), and 1/16in (1.6mm) thick with ¾in hole (19mm).
For the adaptor plates, I recommend using a ¼ inch or 6mm thick steel plates. The exact dimensions of the ones I used are 6 inch X 6 inch X ¼ inch, this is strong enough, and any thicker would make the center bore dowel not rest into the axle frame, which would make the bolts bear all the weight. In my previous post, I measured the center bore dowel at about 8.15mm. With the ¼ inch steel plate added with the thickness of the slash guard, the thickness is about 6.85mm, that leaves about 1.3mm of protrusion through the back, to rest in the axle beam's hole.
Rear Hub & Adaptor Plate.jpg

My previous calculations were wrong, when I said how much the rear track got wider, I forgot to include the splash guard, which are about .5mm thick. The original drum brake back plates were 2mm thick. So subtract that from 6.85mm, which means the rear got pushed out 4.85mm on each side, making the front still .3mm wider, not 1.3mm like I previously said. I could still be wrong, because I didn't really got to measure the splash guards. All I know is that the wheel hub's center bore dowels still has some protrusion, because they were not sliding off even without any of the bolts in yet.
Maybe when I replace the hubs to the 5X114.3 PCD, I'd hope to remember to take the measurements of the splash guards, then I'll see how much the rear track really got pushed out. Anyway that's another project...

I used the Corolla’s rear hub mounting bolts, since they are longer and I got them from when I initially was going to use the Corolla’s adaptor plate, but they will require cutting out the washers.
Corolla Hub Bolts.jpg

To make the holes and bolt pattern on the adaptor plate, I had the Corolla back plate as a template, but one out of a cardboard can easily be made, I recommend something a bit thicker material.
Start with a 74mm hole, put your wheel hub in it and drill out the mounting holes, I believe they were 12mm if I remember correctly. I bought new wheels hubs, so I used them as a template, so I didn't have to remove the ones out of my Yaris. As you drill one out, put a bolt in it's place so that the hub don't move/swivel and get a more accurate pattern. Leave the hub in place, and fit the rotor. Now mock the caliper with the bracket and mark where the it would mount on to the plate. I don't remember the bolt hole size for the caliper bracket, I think 10mm. Then transfer that to the adaptor plate and Voila!!! Or send me a PM and you can have a pair for $75 plus shipping.
I hope someone finds this useful.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:57 PM   #117
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
so i found out something intresting

the XD uses the same rear beam as a yaris/prius but is 5x114, and...its drum
front suspension is all yaris..except the hubs..
i was digging thru toyotas own parts sheets, as i got a notice that theres an XD thats in a local yard....and its a "release" RS..and i wonder if the relese got a rear sway...same part as yaris btw

what im unsure of is if the XD drums are bigger than the yaris oe drums..other than being 5 lug

but what this tells me with 100% certanty is if you want to go 5lug the XD parts will get you there....shit i need to look at the front rotors and see if the cross referance to a rolla/camry/xb

even toyota DOES NOT cross referance the XB beam to anything but XB....but that could simply be the "tabs" and "ears" for disc brakes....as soon as its not a freak show of weather ill get you measurements off our patchwork xb-2

ROTOR ..rolla matrix XD...caliper rolla XD......
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 10:37 AM   #118
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
so i found out something intresting

the XD uses the same rear beam as a yaris/prius but is 5x114, and...its drum
front suspension is all yaris..except the hubs..
i was digging thru toyotas own parts sheets, as i got a notice that theres an XD thats in a local yard....and its a "release" RS..and i wonder if the relese got a rear sway...same part as yaris btw

what im unsure of is if the XD drums are bigger than the yaris oe drums..other than being 5 lug

but what this tells me with 100% certanty is if you want to go 5lug the XD parts will get you there....shit i need to look at the front rotors and see if the cross referance to a rolla/camry/xb

even toyota DOES NOT cross referance the XB beam to anything but XB....but that could simply be the "tabs" and "ears" for disc brakes....as soon as its not a freak show of weather ill get you measurements off our patchwork xb-2

ROTOR ..rolla matrix XD...caliper rolla XD......
We're getting mixed up with my other thread... Thanks for looking into this, but I already know that Yaris and xD shares the same suspension and that the rear beam from the xD will fit the Yaris, but which Prius are you referring to? Is it the Prius C with rear drum brakes or the regular Prius with rear disc brakes? The xDs have bigger rear drum brakes, ID is 229mm, Yaris is 200mm. I'm using xD front calipers for my bigger SE front rotors, I believe they're the same the Corolla's and maybe even the xB2 because they all the the same 275mm front rotors.
The xDs are 5X100 PCD and so are Corollas, I want 5X114.3 PCD like xB2 and Camry. So no, I'm not using the xD set up.
One of the members here, myfirstyota, did an engine swap and also swapped temporarily to the xD front knuckle. See the red car in first post (if you can see the pics, I can't for some reason see his posted pics when I'm at work, but I can see other people's posted pics).

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=61427
Old 04-18-2023, 04:08 PM   #119
sh0rtlife

took measurements off the xb2 as i had time and right now im going to say that i think its too wide...i couldnt compare to the yaris but i could compare to the xb1 on the lift and its 5 inches wider at the lug pad....ill happly post the numbers later if you want

hell the springpockets are 6inches deep too!!!!..64ish wide
Old 04-18-2023, 07:18 PM   #120
Neinris

Quote:
took measurements off the xb2 as i had time and right now im going to say that i think its too wide...i couldnt compare to the yaris but i could compare to the xb1 on the lift and its 5 inches wider at the lug pad....ill happly post the numbers later if you want

hell the springpockets are 6inches deep too!!!!..64ish wide
Yes please, post the measurements. I'd appreciate it very much.
Is the xB1's rear axle frame the same as the Yaris'?
Google says that xB2 rear track width is 59.8" and Yaris 57.5 - 57.9". xBs stock wheels and tires are 205/55R16 on 6.5 inch wide wheels, compare to Yaris 185/60R15 on 5.5 inch wide wheels.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:18 PM   #121
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Yes please, post the measurements. I'd appreciate it very much.
Is the xB1's rear axle frame the same as the Yaris'?
Google says that xB2 rear track width is 59.8" and Yaris 57.5 - 57.9". xBs stock wheels and tires are 205/55R16 on 6.5 inch wide wheels, compare to Yaris 185/60R15 on 5.5 inch wide wheels.
ok so all of this is off of an 08 xb

these numbers are tricky as hell to get with the axle in place..so they are kinda rough and somewhat eyeballed

center of hub to top of caliper 6.5 +.5 hump at bleed screw
3 inch body mount bushing
centerline of body mount bolt to centerline of the hub 15
lugpad to lug pad 63.5(they seem to be fixing the track with wheel offset?)
spring pocket base to top of axle 5.5 inches deep
body mount bolt head to hub face centerline 8
outter edge of body mount to mount seems to be about 47..its hard to get exact with the fuel tank in

honestly im waiting to find a yaris and an xb in the same yard ...then i can pull em both set em next to eachother and see, hell i can even see if it bolts in.....we know the hubs do
Old 04-19-2023, 08:02 PM   #122
Neinris

Quote:
ok so all of this is off of an 08 xb

these numbers are tricky as hell to get with the axle in place..so they are kinda rough and somewhat eyeballed

center of hub to top of caliper 6.5 +.5 hump at bleed screw
3 inch body mount bushing
centerline of body mount bolt to centerline of the hub 15
lugpad to lug pad 63.5(they seem to be fixing the track with wheel offset?)
spring pocket base to top of axle 5.5 inches deep
body mount bolt head to hub face centerline 8
outter edge of body mount to mount seems to be about 47..its hard to get exact with the fuel tank in

honestly im waiting to find a yaris and an xb in the same yard ...then i can pull em both set em next to eachother and see, hell i can even see if it bolts in.....we know the hubs do
Yeah, I think it's better to just compare them side by side.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:14 AM   #123
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Yeah, I think it's better to just compare them side by side.
pretty sure they are..but...is a sedan and hatch the same beam?
what about the XA beam?
what about echo?

im asking specificaly as my most local yard has an 09 xb and an xa

and i know of another yard that "might" have 08 xb and a sedan..tho said sedan might be an echo?....

basicly trying to find alternative units that are the same unit to use as comparisons...since yaris, and xb dont seem to show up at the same time or be around long enough to overlap
Old 04-21-2023, 09:17 PM   #124
Neinris

Quote:
pretty sure they are..but...is a sedan and hatch the same beam?
what about the XA beam?
what about echo?

im asking specificaly as my most local yard has an 09 xb and an xa

and i know of another yard that "might" have 08 xb and a sedan..tho said sedan might be an echo?....

basicly trying to find alternative units that are the same unit to use as comparisons...since yaris, and xb dont seem to show up at the same time or be around long enough to overlap
I'm not 100% about the xAs, I'll do some research. Do you see any xD? Those a the same as the Yaris.
Old 04-22-2023, 03:00 AM   #125
sh0rtlife

Quote:
I'm not 100% about the xAs, I'll do some research. Do you see any xD? Those a the same as the Yaris.
i wish....theres one "forsale" in teh yard that they want WAY too much for that WILL end up in the yard...question is will the xb2 still be there when it does.....i want the mounts n stuff for the 1.8 swap
Old 04-23-2023, 02:31 PM   #126
sh0rtlife

local yard has an XD and an XB1 hitting the yard soo...so if they hit while the XB2 is still in the yard i can compare those if we can verify that either of them is the same as a yaris

on a side note..since i had to pull a hub off the xb2 out there....i made a note, if someone wanted discs on a quick n dirty you could cut off the axle ends, grind em flush, get longer bolts, and just sandwich those plates into your existing axle tube..giving you 1/2inch offset and disc brakes all in one fell swoop....the hubs are just long to still locate thru the new flange and into the one still welded to your axle

now i need to find a 4x100 version to do some 14innch wheel clearance tests!!!!!!....prius's are NOT hitting my yards and i was unde rthe impression thats the only place to get the 4x100 factory discs(aside form a yaris RS which may as well not exist)