Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2023, 08:17 AM   #37
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
i attempted the TB board swap only to find both units used different main gears and different electric motors so much so that the "pins" off the motors wernt in the same spot.....annoyed
Which TB did you try to install? I'm not sure if the 2ZR TB would work. The one that is used was from a Toyota Matrix with 1ZZ engine, PN 22030-0D030.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 04:16 PM   #38
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
Which TB did you try to install? I'm not sure if the 2ZR TB would work. The one that is used was from a Toyota Matrix with 1ZZ engine, PN 22030-0D030.
I just put all the pictures up of installing the 2zr-fe throttle body, so yeah it works.

Its some of the 1az/2az that don't work, tho some of them do. It just needs to have the correct case on the back unless you get lucky and your ecu doesnt throw a fit about having a different circuit board but my car did not like the new tb until I put the 1nz-fe chip on which could just be because I have a different ecu as NZDM rather than JDM import.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 01:41 AM   #39
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
Quote:
06 rolla S thats all im sure of....as i pulled it myself

next one i pull im drilling the rivits in the wrecker before i even leave
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 02:41 AM   #40
Compeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
06 rolla S thats all im sure of....as i pulled it myself

next one i pull im drilling the rivits in the wrecker before i even leave
I think it needs to be genuine, if its some rando aftermarket jobby I would not even bother, its going to be different.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:54 AM   #41
Compeer

Spent a couple days messing around with an intake pipe, my old man helped me braze it up, its brass and copper 57mm ID. Its a weird "S" shape and took a bit to get the angles right. It uses two normal intake boots large ends so that it fits on nice.

The upside down standard boot faces the oil breather backwards and puts a lot of pressure on the air box lid, this has fixed that . I need to make some vids of how she sounds because damn it sounds good now.

Last edited by Compeer; 03-03-2023 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-04-2023, 06:20 PM   #42
Compeer

I have found a soloution to the problem with the rs manifold at the pickapart wreckers today I found a fielder with 1nzfe and the short intake AND an intake runner!

Ok so the runner is two part with a hollow passage for the exhaust gasses and has a port that runs to each intake. Effectively making this an intake heater! It was totally full if carbon, no way it was even working, so my plan is to make an egr blank off for my egr valve, It will be totally full of smut and not working anyway.

Anyway I have JB welded the ports up, so now its just an intake runner.

Will attempt to install this when the JB weld has fully set and then will look at the egr blank off and making an oil catch can so we can keep the intake nice (there was oil seeping out of the intake onto the engine from the breathers)

Last edited by Compeer; 03-05-2023 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:25 PM   #43
Compeer

Ok I went and got the longer studs today, you will need the studs, the front oil breather pipe, the runner and gasket +JB weld and a hacksaw.

I used JB weld on the ports and cut the end off.

Installed with the long standard manifold to try that!

She is tight and now there is a process to take off the vvti solenoid which involces moving the intake manifold a bit.

All buttoned up, I have clocked the hose to fit. The runner is 25MM and so with the long non-rs intake manifold she has 100mm of straight section before entering the head.

I have just reset the ecu and let it idle till warm, she starts from cold at 2100rpm which drops to 1500rpm, then 720rpm when warm and then starts at 1200rpm when warm like a normal car.

Car sounds so damn good sitting here idling, will be testing it later.

Next steps are to get my 1zz-fe injectors serviced and installed, build a two in one oil catch can for both oil breather lines and then order a custom exhaust header.
Old 03-06-2023, 01:14 PM   #44
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
I thought the purpose of the RS intake was to have shorter runners, but now you're adding a spacer or two, wouldn't that be the same as stock length? Is there something else special about the RS intake manifold?
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:25 PM   #45
Compeer

Quote:
I thought the purpose of the RS intake was to have shorter runners, but now you're adding a spacer or two, wouldn't that be the same as stock length? Is there something else special about the RS intake manifold?
See I never realized there was a spacer, I could not find any mention of it, with the spacer the rs manifold has the same 75mm of "straight" intake section as the normal non RS intake so unless you can mod the heater return pipe to move it (and even then it might not fit idk) the only change is making it longer not shorter.

Longer intake=lower powerband
Shorter intake= higher power band

So the RS manifold is a failed experiment until I can mod the heater pipe and see if it will fit on allowing for a 25MM shorter runner.

With the Runner on I now have 100mm of straight intake and IDK I guess the tooter guy was on to something because it feels better to drive off the line.

Lucky I get these things at the wreckers and I don't pay much for them, because I now have a spare ported manifold.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:38 PM   #46
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
you wont get any gains, my last racecar build, i found out for NA, you are severly limited by the camshafts lift and duration.
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 03:37 AM   #47
Compeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
you wont get any gains, my last racecar build, i found out for NA, you are severly limited by the camshafts lift and duration.
Certainly wouldn't expect hp gains but the difference in how she drives now is noticeble and the sound is just awesome compared to before, for autocross I think this is right on as your not doing high rpm driving its lots of sharp little corners and that is where the 1nzfe was weakest having that dead spot in the throttle.

After I get a set of exhaust headers made I will look at a cam regrind from Franklin cams here in auckland, they like messing with toyotas and they have done them before as we use the 1nzfe as a jetboat engine here a lot.

Last edited by Compeer; 03-08-2023 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:10 PM   #48
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeer View Post
they have done them before as we use the 1nzfe as a jetboat engine here a lot.
Excuse me? I wanna see this, that sounds awesome. The 1NZ-FE doesn't get the love it deserves in North America.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:44 PM   #49
sh0rtlife

Quote:
done them before as we use the 1nzfe as a jetboat engine here a lot.
yes yes we need info and pics..its hard to fathom such a tiny engine being used for that
jetboats here are typicaly heavily boosted 4s v6s and big v8s
Old 03-20-2023, 04:04 AM   #50
ardianpradana

Drives: White Yaris J M/T
Send a message via MSN to ardianpradana
I have use the RS intake manifold and not using any spacers

have to cut 1 bolt (knock sensor bolt I believe), and cut some coolant line and reroute the line

ardianpradana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:37 PM   #51
Compeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
Excuse me? I wanna see this, that sounds awesome. The 1NZ-FE doesn't get the love it deserves in North America.
Theres a company here that specilizes turning them into jet boat engines, they are light wight, reliable and have plenty of torue for the job being designed for a cvt transmission they are perfect for jet boating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkyk9MPCe-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardianpradana View Post
I have use the RS intake manifold and not using any spacers

have to cut 1 bolt (knock sensor bolt I believe), and cut some coolant line and reroute the line

Nice so the bolt i didnt know I had to move and the hose I had realized was going to need modified, Right now im pretty happy with how the long set up is performing but will in the future try that, did you notice any difference?

Last edited by Compeer; 03-20-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:00 AM   #52
ardianpradana

Drives: White Yaris J M/T
Send a message via MSN to ardianpradana
Quote:
Theres a company here that specilizes turning them into jet boat engines, they are light wight, reliable and have plenty of torue for the job being designed for a cvt transmission they are perfect for jet boating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkyk9MPCe-M

Nice so the bolt i didnt know I had to move and the hose I had realized was going to need modified, Right now im pretty happy with how the long set up is performing but will in the future try that, did you notice any difference?
in real world driving, I'm not noticing any differences

but on dyno, my peak torque shifts 300rpm higher

with stock manifold, the torque drop 25% between peak torque and torque at rev limiter

with RS manifold, the torque drop 19% between peak torque and torque and limiter
ardianpradana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:54 PM   #53
sh0rtlife

id love to know how much lower the peak torque comes on with the RS egr plate and the STOCK non rs manifold
Old 03-21-2023, 10:31 PM   #54
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
Quote:
Spent a couple days messing around with an intake pipe, my old man helped me braze it up, its brass and copper 57mm ID. Its a weird "S" shape and took a bit to get the angles right. It uses two normal intake boots large ends so that it fits on nice.

The upside down standard boot faces the oil breather backwards and puts a lot of pressure on the air box lid, this has fixed that . I need to make some vids of how she sounds because damn it sounds good now.
please for the love of god put your radiator cap right side up, its driving me crazy! lol!
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote