Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #37
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
even on a low boost application the hot side will get HOT. although you may not have to run an intercooler, i would be more worried about excess heat buildup and firewall eatage...but hey i guess thats why i used to keep a fire extinguisher in my other car. im sure you could heat shield it and foil it and not have issues. if a stock cars turbo can glow red..that biotch it hot!
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #38
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Yeah , I saw someone tap into the pressure sender before, but i did not know these cars come stock with an oil cooler, and i thought you could not drain into anything that has a positive pressure, and thought it has to be downstream from the turbo...

I think if i had a turbo that was internally gated I would like to get a MBC to dial in the exact amount of boost, but thats only when i need to go over the internal limit already.

I will try to make it as less rough measurements as possible... I don't think the Blitz kept fabbing up mounting brackets.

I will first of all make a plate for it to sit attached to the engine with adjustable positioning so i can line up the pulley. Once I do that, i will make a clamp down bracket for the nose of the supercharger so there will be no play, and then refab the engine mounting bracket to the correct position... All of this is basic 2D work i can do in the basement without sourcing a shop out..

I know you want to see me fail!!!!

The only way i will quit this project is if i do not find a suitable M45 for sale in the coming months... if thats the case i will just use the damned K03 turbo..
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #39
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
And you have to figure out how to tap into the exhaust manifold or your header. How much air flow do you have to account for going to the turbine?

Where does the spent exhaust gas go once it has gone through the turbo's turbine? I guess it has to be plumbed back into the exhaust?
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #40
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
And you have to figure out how to tap into the exhaust manifold or your header. How much air flow do you have to account for going to the turbine?

Where does the spent exhaust gas go once it has gone through the turbo's turbine? I guess it has to be plumbed back into the exhaust?
lt,

ALL the exhaust leaving the engine goes into a turbo manifold then into your turbo then through your turbo into your downpipe then out through the midpipe.

OP, i don't want to see you fail i am just warning you it's not "just fab this plate and that bracket"
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #41
4MPG

Drives: black 5spd hatch yaris
with the low levels of boost your talking about I don't see any reason why you would need to run an I/C, at least not on a stock engine. From the posts on this forum I gather its only safe to run about 4-6 PSI on the stock engine to keep it from destroying the paper thin rods, and at that boost level your not going to need a I/C.

I just recently finished my FMIC install on my supercharged mustang GT, and I ran it non I/C for almost 2 years before doing the FMIC install, all on 10 PSI. The only real disadvantage to running without an intercooler was dealing with the performance loss on hot days, or after running the engine for a long time. I was seeing as much as 6-7 MPH drop in trap speed with the engine hot on a hot day before the intercooler, but once again this was on 10 PSI (with ALOT more cfm than your talking about)

Also, it would probably be OK to run a setup like the blitz, with no i/c pipping and it being directly mounted to the intake manifold, without a bypass or blowoff valve. However, if you start running a bunch of pipping for an intercooler, not to mention pluming from the blower itself to the t/b inlet, your going to need a bypass/blowoff. Just going from the non i/c setup to a FMIC setup on my GT required stepping up from a little baby bosch bypass to a monster vortech one, so I don't see you getting away with running nothing at all and not experiencing surge.

Just FYI, if your looking for pipe solutions you can get a "DIY" pipe kit on ebay for pretty cheap. I think my entire kit with 2 straights, 2 45s, 2 90s, and 2 120s with rubber connectors and T bolt clamps only ran like 100 bucks.
4MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #42
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
A turbo at 5 PSI would be easier to setup, and cheaper. You would not need an intercooler, external wastegate, or boost controller. A good exhaust shop could do the piping for the downpipe and from the turbo outlet to the throttle body. Putting a drain fitting in the oil pan is easy, and you can get supply from a sandwhich adapter, or the OEM oil pressure switch.

Then tune it and you are done. If you found a cheap turbo you could do the whole thing for under $1000 easily, and that is paying for a decent shop to do the labor. You would have to pay for tuning and a full exhaust on either setup so that is a wash.

Properly tuned this would be as fast or faster than a blitz S/C car.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #43
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
ALL the exhaust leaving the engine goes into a turbo manifold then into your turbo then through your turbo into your downpipe then out through the midpipe.
No, it doesn't. My turbo exhaust manifold has the flange for the turbo on the collector. That means some of the exhaust goes past there and out the exhaust pipe.

I don't want to see nexus fail -- I want to see SOMEONE TRY.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:11 AM   #44
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

I think you guys are misunderstanding each other.. You are both saying the same thing unless some of Garm's exhaust bypasses the turbo inlet.. which is inconcieveable unless he has an external wastegate.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #45
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Well, I still want to do this or go remote turbo, but im having trouble finding an M45 supercharger, and i was trying to see if an M62 would work without boosting too much and being too much drag on the engine itself...
Old 12-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #46
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
largeorange,

what kind of turbo are you thinking of? Under $1000 seems so low?

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #47
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

You can pick up a used K03 or SRT4 turbo for cheap money($50-I just took some out and they look mint, no play), they can produce upwards of 200 hp on a 1.8 and it would be perfect on the Yaris with a low spool.... It would be cheaper i think to run piping like Richards kit than to get a manifold, well depending if you find the manifold for cheap!...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K03-T...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #48
at3GG

how did he not use a manifold? I'm confused...

this ko3, is it a t25 fit as well? i know audi and vw are nice and reliable, any experience with the turbo itself?

Tanabe Df210's
Old 12-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #49
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

ive had two of them on my S4, it all depends, I beat the piss out of them everytime i drove the car and im up to 80k, just proper warmup and cool down are what matters alot... I doubt they are a T25 fit...

He did it without a manifold by just routing the piping around... You don't need a manifold to run turbo... just some place for the gasses/air to go...
Old 12-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #50
at3GG

are the pictures still on here somewhere? I couldnt find them.....just piping from the header..to turbo..wrapped around to intake/ic? Im still not sure exactly where the air filter would go lol

Tanabe Df210's
Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #51
at3GG

was it simply a smaller diameter piping so as not ALL the exhaust went into the turbo?

Richard Help!!

Tanabe Df210's
Old 12-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #52
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Quote:
was it simply a smaller diameter piping so as not ALL the exhaust went into the turbo?
I have the picture on tinypic ill have to look it up later, but the intake will come to a pipe right off of the turbo cold side...

I am not sure what you mean by that question... exhaust gasses flow from manifold > turbo... then it rerouted from turbo back to exhaust system...

The piping looked to be around 2...2-1/2 inches
Old 12-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #53
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
Not that is matters a great deal for the power level we are talking about, but the exhaust for the turbo was routed from the back of the exhuast manifold up to the turbo (positioned in the area adjacent to the factory air filter). The size of this tubing could be anywhere from 2-2.5 inches with no effect on power. After runnning through the turbo, the exhaust exits the turbine side and is routed back (next to up pipe) out the back of the car to connect to factory or other exhuast system. Wastegate exhaust is routed in same pipe. Cone filter is located in near stock location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
I have the picture on tinypic ill have to look it up later, but the intake will come to a pipe right off of the turbo cold side...

I am not sure what you mean by that question... exhaust gasses flow from manifold > turbo... then it rerouted from turbo back to exhaust system...

The piping looked to be around 2...2-1/2 inches
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaris turbo.jpg (145.9 KB, 81 views)
richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #54
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by at3GG View Post
largeorange,

what kind of turbo are you thinking of? Under $1000 seems so low?
Get a take off from a WRX, Saab or Audi/VW. You don't need any custom turbo for this application.

You could do the setup in Richards post above easily for less than $1000 with a take off turbo.