Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #55
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
I feel foolish asking all these beginner questions. The exhaust was run from a stock/regular aftermarket exhaust manifold i.e megan? Obviously a custom midpipe would be needed ... I feel ok using a KO3 from an audi/vw because of the reliabilty of the cars, i assume the final output would not compare to the garrett unit that cali is running though correct?

ok here goes the dummy picture....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbo paint.jpg (27.9 KB, 81 views)

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #56
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
richard, your were running around 5psi correct? I dont remember what your power output was at at that level.....130-140ish?

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #57
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
the picture looks about right, but think about this.... 5psi on a K03 vs 5psi on a GT45...
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #58
alhope34
Spool'd

Drives: 07 yaris, 16 gen coupe rspec
Not that this helps any with the Yaris, but my car comes stock with the K04 turbo. Spools to full boost by 2000 rpm on my 2.3L with mods, 2500rpm without mods. I just got my Cobb AccessPort (ECU tuner) and that little K04 spikes at 22.5-22.9psi at ~3000rpm and holds 19psi till 6000rpm then tapers to 17psi by the 6700rpm redline.

I'm sure the Yaris's engine is capable of running the K04. Amagine 19psi in a built Yaris. =)

In 5 years I'm going to get a larger turbo, probably the GT3071r
alhope34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #59
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

yeah, K04s pull hard, i was tuning a friends S4, 2.8 FATS(3rd gear pull from 2500-redline in seconds i believe) Full interior and everything

If K03 spools too early on the yaris for youre liking, K04 is a nice upgrade
Old 12-17-2008, 06:33 AM   #60
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by at3GG View Post
I feel foolish asking all these beginner questions. The exhaust was run from a stock/regular aftermarket exhaust manifold i.e megan? Obviously a custom midpipe would be needed ... I feel ok using a KO3 from an audi/vw because of the reliabilty of the cars, i assume the final output would not compare to the garrett unit that cali is running though correct?

ok here goes the dummy picture....
Not sure if I fully understand, but I think you don't have quite the right idea of how a turbo setup works, it took me a while to wrap my brain around the idea too

There's no percentage of the exhaust that goes back to the engine, it all goes out the exhaust. But, there are in fact 2 turbines connected together, one for the exhaust (where the flow of exhaust gases make the impeller spin), and one for the intake (where the spinning impeller causes the actual compression of incoming gases), the exhaust and intake streams do not mix, ever!!!

Where I think you are getting the percentage confusion is with the use of a wastegate, because this does split up the compressed air flow, in order to control the amount of boost that the compressor creates. But, the amount of exhaust gases that is not being used just goes back out to the exhaust, it either rejoins the main exhaust line, or on some high powered applications, has its own smaller diameter exhaust all the way...

Some good information:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #61
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
yeah, K04s pull hard, i was tuning a friends S4, 2.8 FATS(3rd gear pull from 2500-redline in seconds i believe) Full interior and everything

If K03 spools too early on the yaris for youre liking, K04 is a nice upgrade

On a non intercooled turbo setup there is no such thing as spooling too early. There is no reason for a large turbo with that type of setup.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #62
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

if i recall somewhere that if you have too much torque low end, you will throw a rod.... I thought that was just too much torque anywhere in the power band at all, but thats just me?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #63
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
if i recall somewhere that if you have too much torque low end, you will throw a rod.... I thought that was just too much torque anywhere in the power band at all, but thats just me?
of course if you have too much torque anywhere you'll throw a rod ;)

but the low end (under 3500rpm) is danger zone. this is why nitrous should not be applied low in the rev range
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #64
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
Get a take off from a WRX,
remember if you use a subaru (top mount) turbo and try to mount it upside-down you'll need to turn the center cartridge to correct your oil flow path.. you should flow the oil top to bottom

i'm using the hotside from a JDM Legacy GT and the coldside from a WRX (USDM) and spool is excellent.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #65
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
5 lbs of boost is not enough to do anything. If you are going to leave it non intercooled you want something that will hit 5 lbs as soon as early as possible and be able to hold it to redline. We can get into compressor maps, A/R housings etc. here if we want to get technical, but basically getting a turbo off a similar sized engine is a very safe bet.

If you put a GT30 or larger on the car you would not see any boost until near redline, which would be a total waste.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #66
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
remember if you use a subaru (top mount) turbo and try to mount it upside-down you'll need to turn the center cartridge to correct your oil flow path.. you should flow the oil top to bottom

i'm using the hotside from a JDM Legacy GT and the coldside from a WRX (USDM) and spool is excellent.
Agreed, and good point.

If you mount it as Richard pictured, in the OEM airbox location, you could leave it as is.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #67
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
this thread makes my head hurt.

anyone with ANY questions about a turbo setup needs to buy "Maximum Boost" and stop listening to their friends.

:facepalm:
Old 01-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #68
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russelt3hPirate View Post
this thread makes my head hurt.

anyone with ANY questions about a turbo setup needs to buy "Maximum Boost" and stop listening to their friends.

:facepalm:
LOLOOOOLO. x2.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote