Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
Retrofit Blitz Supercharger

Well... its installed and fantastic!

This is an xA/xB kit I got used with 3000 miles and it came with all of the original mounting hardware and components.

My boyfriend Kevin deserves a lot of credit for this project. I assisted and helped where I could but this project was a little over what I felt comfortable with in my mechanical abilities. Really though it went very smoothly, its totally worth it.

For starters anyone thinking about getting a scion kit, realize that there are several main modifications you will need to make:
1 - Throttle Body (xA = 3 bolt; Yaris = 4 bolt) We made an adapter plate to mate the supercharger intake piece to the Yaris TB. I already bypassed the coolant line several months ago, in this project I shortened the coolant line that ran to it.
2 - Intake (xA = different position for TB; Yaris = you need a custom intake of some kind) We flipped the stock air box upside down to reduce the chance of CELs, so far so good. I need K&N style filter but I was impatient and wanted it running asap
3 - Pulley/Belt (xA = 66.7 to 67 in belt; Yaris = 66in belt) I am using the gatorback 66.7in belt with an idler pulley from Advanced, I'll try to track down the exact part number later. The pulley I bought was like $18 and gives a better wrap to the supercharger and I don't have any clearance issues with it.

However the biggest change from my setup with others here, is my AEM water methanol system. I tapped my washer fluid tank (and installed the float switch in the washer tank) for lack of space of either the 2 quart or 4 quart AEM tanks. There is an led mounted in the car to tell me when the AEM is spraying and when the system is low. The pump is mounted on my right strut tower and the controller box is behind the lower passenger glove box.

Can't think of too much else at the moment, its been 3 days up til 2am working on this project. Soldering in everything and taking our time really paid off. It cranked right up and runs like a champ!

halfway through:

completed:

Its pretty loud, I might get some videos/better pictures this evening

~Mo
Old 05-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
congrats! i'm glad it all worked out :) can't wait to see your numbers (and i can't wait for you to take "fastest SC yaris" away from our lil buddy
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
NIIIIICE You get +400 cool points for not buying the out-of-the-box solution.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
OMG, that is awesome, definitely need some vids, mad props
Old 05-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Fantastic! so exciting, and really heartwarming the way you and your boyfriend share the love of cars
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Another boosted member Hopefully no CEL's Out of curiosity did you retrofit because you got a smoking deal on that kit?
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
It would be interesting to see the effect of the meth injection on that set up.

That should take care of the knocking problems that other blitz users have reported and should prevent the ECU to pull in too much timing. Heck you might even get away using regular fuel on your car.

Congrats!

Post some numbers soon!
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
well done that looks amazing so jealous
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
congrats! i'm glad it all worked out :) can't wait to see your numbers (and i can't wait for you to take "fastest SC yaris" away from our lil buddy)
I hope to have it up on the dyno when I get back from the vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
Fantastic! so exciting, and really heartwarming the way you and your boyfriend share the love of cars
We have spent many late nights hot and sweaty... but we enjoy doing the car stuff together. Its funny how we can get mad at each other during an install like this and still go to bed with no ill feelings, the cars are therapeutic in a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
Another boosted member Hopefully no CEL's Out of curiosity did you retrofit because you got a smoking deal on that kit?
yes! it was a great deal and I knew if I passed it up now I would never get the opportunity to do something like this again for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
well done that looks amazing so jealous
Thanks! There are still a few loose ends to tie up and finish, but I'm still in shock that it cranked right up :smile;

----

I finally feel clean enough (after two showers and a soak in the hot tub)to leave the house and go show it off to some other car friends!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
Tamago

i have pieces that'd build you an amazing CAI for your setup. PM me
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
Morgan

fuel controller just took some thinking to get right, matching up the pins on the ecu between the two cars to figure out which wire goes where...

the xA has one ground, the Yaris has two or three grounds - other than that it was pretty easy to figure out
Old 05-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
How do you like the drive by cable response instead of drive by wire?
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
kurokoma-kun

Morgan will you please say more about the water meth injection kit?

I understand how it cools the fuel air mixture, but not clear about the other advantages/disadvantages. Does injecting water into the system have any negative effects?

Also I wondering about cost--I experienced some of the things Castrex described, and right now I'm buying octane booster to combat but getting satisfactory + stable results. However, I haven't given much thought to the long term effects. If you factor in the cost of the water meth kit and buying the methanol, is this method still better long-term?

PS to all -- if by asking this I unwittingly brought up a controversial topic or asked a dumb Q, please dont argue in Morgan's thread, mmmmkkaayyyy?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #14
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
KK, I'm watching closely that throttle body adapter plate thread. If they make a threaded hole that will fit a water injector, that may be the way for you and me to go. Until then, just continue using the turkey baster.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #15
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
Morgan will you please say more about the water meth injection kit?

I understand how it cools the fuel air mixture, but not clear about the other advantages/disadvantages. Does injecting water into the system have any negative effects?

Also I wondering about cost--I experienced some of the things Castrex described, and right now I'm buying octane booster to combat but getting satisfactory + stable results. However, I haven't given much thought to the long term effects. If you factor in the cost of the water meth kit and buying the methanol, is this method still better long-term?

PS to all -- if by asking this I unwittingly brought up a controversial topic or asked a dumb Q, please dont argue in Morgan's thread, mmmmkkaayyyy?
not a dumb question, but could be answered using google.

water/meth injection has been used for over 50 years, and does not harm your engine if done properly
you nailed it sir.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #16
kurokoma-kun

Tamago, I consulted Google before asking, and still came away with questions. I was hoping someone like you would be willing to elaborate, or that she might like a chance to explain it herself. But for Morgan's sake I'll ask in a different thread. Thanks anyway.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #17
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
wow, really cool...
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
well done!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote