Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
stick-on trunk spoiler?

i've been looking around for a small trunk spoiler to mount on my 07 sedan. i don't really like the factory-style, but have seen some 'm3' styles online that i like. they advertise as being attached with double-sided tape and i wonder if that is very secure? it's really just a small lip that curves around the corner of the trunk above the toyota logo. they don't have a third brake light because the lip is so small and i actually prefer that!

i don't mind drilling into the trunk if that's what is necessary, but i don't see anything in the style i like other than tape adhesion. my other concern- obviously- is durability. abs is better than fiberglass from what i understand, but does anyone recommend anybody that will ship it properly?

i plan on spending the money to get it properly painted/sanded, but i don't want to spend so much on paint/labor for something that will fall off my car!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I think some people run spoilers with only double-sided tape on them. I for one prefer the security of having a few bolts thrown into the mix. If you're gonna spend the money on paint/labor, why don't you get them to mount it as well? That's what I did with the one on my hatchback...

Cheers! M2
Old 09-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I'm familiar with those small "M3" style spoilers. Not long ago, there was vendor in Taiwan who would cut to order, paint to code, and ship all for under $35. Search ebay and you may find them. BTW, two-sided 3-M tape is absolutely satisfactory for this application.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
willygoodness

Drives: 09 yaris hb
a mates old honda integra rear factory wing was only glued on.
willygoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
CalamityConcept

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Used one of these spoilers on my 2.5rs. Adhesion promoted/sealed/sprayed myself. Never had any issues. Once it's on there, it isn't going to come off easily. Just make sure to clean the surface before applying. Measure out the length of your deck lid/trunk/whatever and ebay has these things in all sorts of sizes to accommodate.

CalamityConcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
PSYS
Resident Ninja

Drives: 2007 Yaris S sedan.
I actually just had my Yaris repainted and I removed it as I was helping the autobody dude tape up my car. When it came time to put the factory rear spoiler back on, he cut me a few new strips of 3M double-side automotive tape... that thing ain't goin' anywhere now.

It was actually loose for quite some time because it came from the factory with two tiny thin strips of double-sided tape that simply lost its adhesive quality.

Grab some 3M double-sided automotive tape... I think you'll be surprised.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
This stuff works great as as a trunk spoiler http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41609

I installed it on my talon and cressida unpainted and it looks great. Also is light so it won't fly off.
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote