Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-14-2022, 05:29 PM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Power antenna(remote) wire problem..(Solved)

Many say use the power antenna blue wire....I say skip that one and use ACC.

All is solved and tip top!

The sub also does not "pop" when powering off using acc aswell...

All of a sudden it does not power my amplifier correctly.

If radio is on the amp works fine...as soon as i switch to my music player/mp3 on the headunit the amp shuts off......it only started doing this recently by itself.

I shortened the ground wire on the amp and resanded mounting point.

I checked I had a good positive connection aswell.

I seriously doubt the amp is to blame....or the headunit.

Could it be the remote wire on the yaris itself has diminished power over time somehow?

Last edited by Pinchlite; 06-19-2022 at 04:37 PM.
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:38 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
speaking generaly here, but the remote wire is little more than a .5amp signal to "switch" on a device be it power antenna or amp, its either going to work or not work, it wont work just "sometimes"

the fact that your switching inputs tells me its a head unit issue, as to why its turning off the amp thats a good question..outside of checking thru options etc its hard to know..it could just be the heads shot

just for giggles you could tap the power wire and jump the amp on and verify if its a "head turning off amp" or head not supplying sound to amp...
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:10 AM   #3
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
When the Auxiliary sound source is plugged into the AUX Jack. Does that stop the amplifier and give poor radio reception?

Only when you use the Disk/AUX switch on the radio and something is connected to the AUX input jack?
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:50 PM   #4
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
speaking generaly here, but the remote wire is little more than a .5amp signal to "switch" on a device be it power antenna or amp, its either going to work or not work, it wont work just "sometimes"

the fact that your switching inputs tells me its a head unit issue, as to why its turning off the amp thats a good question..outside of checking thru options etc its hard to know..it could just be the heads shot

just for giggles you could tap the power wire and jump the amp on and verify if its a "head turning off amp" or head not supplying sound to amp...
what wire would I use to "jump"the amp?

Like I said as soon as I switch to mp3 files that are on a usb stick the amp turns off...the mp3 plays fine over the other speakers just not the sub obviously.
Old 06-15-2022, 01:55 PM   #5
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLH View Post
When the Auxiliary sound source is plugged into the AUX Jack. Does that stop the amplifier and give poor radio reception?

Only when you use the Disk/AUX switch on the radio and something is connected to the AUX input jack?
Not sure what you mean by aux source...I have a usb stick inserted into head unit with mp3 files....

Radio on...music plays fine through all speakers including sub....switch to mp3 and music only plays through speakers minus the sub as it turns off.

Radio reception is not as good as the stock unit....I think this is common from what others have said about aftermarket radios with yaris.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:58 PM   #6
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Thanks for the information.
The stock setup has a AUX Jack mounted on the passenger side of the car center console.
The Amp I was thinking of is the one on the antenna wire to amplify the antenna signal into the radio. It should be turned on by the head when you are using a radio source. If it is not turned on I would expect the reception is poor.
If your sub does not go on at all the times you want it to. It looks like the head itself or the signal to the sub to turn on.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:29 PM   #7
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLH View Post
Thanks for the information.
The stock setup has a AUX Jack mounted on the passenger side of the car center console.
The Amp I was thinking of is the one on the antenna wire to amplify the antenna signal into the radio. It should be turned on by the head when you are using a radio source. If it is not turned on I would expect the reception is poor.
If your sub does not go on at all the times you want it to. It looks like the head itself or the signal to the sub to turn on.
I could check the power antenna/trigger wire has power output with multi...

But then again it must have power if it triggers the amp in radio mode.

Best bet probaly is to try another headunit.

Last edited by Pinchlite; 06-15-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:26 PM   #8
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
This might be different on my series 3, but my diagram shows 2 separate output pins from the radio for the antenna and for an amplifier.

On the 16 pin connector, pin 8 is listed as Antenna, and pin 9 as Amplifier Control.

Looking at the socket on the back of the radio, pin 9 is on the top row, second from the right.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:33 PM   #9
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
This might be different on my series 3, but my diagram shows 2 separate output pins from the radio for the antenna and for an amplifier.

On the 16 pin connector, pin 8 is listed as Antenna, and pin 9 as Amplifier Control.

Looking at the socket on the back of the radio, pin 9 is on the top row, second from the right.
I solved it by connecting remote wire from amp to acc from back of headunit wiring.

The remote wire can be any 12 volt source as I just recently learned.

My stereo is wired direct btw with a toggle switch...I do all my stereos like this so I can listen without key turned/car totally off.