Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-21-2022, 11:18 PM   #1
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
NST Yaris cabin Short shift kit install

Heya Yari people

I orderd this a few weeks back and it shown up in time for Ruby the Yari's christmas

The kit was pretty easy and straight forward to install.

I used two medium flat head screw drivers which I slid under the plastic clips that hold the main joints "cap" in place and then used a large flat head to carefully pry it until it popped apart and the rest was really easy. The C tool is to remove the cap from lower small joint.

Use some rubber grease on the joints.

The new bushings fit well tho the bolts were two different imperial sizes and so I reused the old ones as they had a about 15mm left still and was more than enough.

Old gear stick in my hand versus the new short shift NST kit, its much shorter which I did not expect, but the throw is shorter now and it feels far more solid

Vid of it installed
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ncI...usp=share_link

As a side note I contacted NST to see if they still produce the engine bay parts and gave them the part numbers as they are not listed on the site anymore EDIT: NST said they do not and will not make the Engine bay shift kit again.

Last edited by Compeer; 10-28-2023 at 12:44 PM.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 01:06 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
i hadnt actualy bothered looking at a yaris shifter..so i thank you for the pic's..seems to be very similar to the old dodge k cars and neon setup to which i know exactly how to make super short throw shifters as its just a matter of heating the "ball" and sliding it up the shaft a bit...since were on the hunt for a second yaris(which may end up being a XB) this is usefull info

the last 2 short throws i built were down riht silly ..one being in an 89 dodge turbo caravan there was very little little travel in it at most 5 inches at the grip from 1-2...the "updated" version (same parts different body) i did for my lloyd has about 2 inches from 1-2..its really more of a joystick
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:54 PM   #3
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
i hadnt actualy bothered looking at a yaris shifter..so i thank you for the pic's..seems to be very similar to the old dodge k cars and neon setup to which i know exactly how to make super short throw shifters as its just a matter of heating the "ball" and sliding it up the shaft a bit...since were on the hunt for a second yaris(which may end up being a XB) this is usefull info

the last 2 short throws i built were down riht silly ..one being in an 89 dodge turbo caravan there was very little little travel in it at most 5 inches at the grip from 1-2...the "updated" version (same parts different body) i did for my lloyd has about 2 inches from 1-2..its really more of a joystick
The yari one is on a spline theres maybe 1.5" of spine there you could move it on. The actual shaft is different angles too.

But yeah I seen vids where they take them out and modify them but for 80usd shipped with the bushings and everything I didnt think it was worth mucking around with it. Hopefully NST still does the engine bay ones because that reduces throw to about 50% of original.

Last edited by Compeer; 10-28-2023 at 12:45 PM.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 02:30 AM   #4
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
at that price its a bargin....me i love making shit soooo its hard not to when given a reason to
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nst, nstssk069, short shift kit, yaris mk2