Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2023, 06:31 AM   #1
lucasodf

Drives: 2012 Yaris YR
Apple car play head unit in 2012 Yaris

Hi guys

I have a 2012 yaris ncp130 and im looking to replace the head unit with a display that has apple car play.

I cant seem to find anything promising online in terms of fitment.

Can anyone show me their solutions / give me advise?

:)
lucasodf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 01:17 AM   #2
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Hi Lucas,

I'm amazed no one has responded yet.

A few weeks back, I fitted a Chinese Android unit I bought on eBxx. You can find many of these by searching for "Toyota radio".

You can find units that directly fit the Yaris dashboard. Note that the Toyota dash cutout is a bit wider than the standard 2 DIN fitting.

What I found:-

Do not use the mounting brackets supplied with the radio. It will fit into the original Yaris radio bracket. However, you might want to bend the bracket mounting arms to set the mounting position back far enough.

The radio reception is not as good as the factory radio. It improved after my wife managed to somehow do a factory reset on the unit, but is still not as good as the factory radio.

Most of these units are FM only, or an external USB connected DAB tuner can be added. I have the DAB unit on order, should be here in a week or so. This requires a second antenna to be installed on the windscreen, or a splitter from the car radio antenna. I am not sure if the existing antenna on the Yaris will work for DAB, as it's a different frequency range.

The radio came with wiring adapter. However, the wires for the steering wheel controls were on the wrong pins of the plug. As a retired electrical engineer, this was easy for me to correct.

There Is an inbuilt microphone for hands free, but it's on the passenger side of the radio. I also have a microphone on order, and will most likely put it at the top of the A pillar.

The unit I bought came with GPS. It uses HERE WeGo as the default navigation app. I put the GPS antenna behind the radio in the dashboard, and it works fine. You can download maps for each state individually, or the whole of Australia for free.

The unit supports Apple Car Play and Android Auto. We are an all Android family as far as phones go, so I haven't tried Apple Car Play, but Android Auto works fine.

There are also line level outputs in the supplied wiring harness if you want to add an external amplifier.

The manufacturers of These radios have a weird idea of what Is "HiFi" sound. You would most likely want to turn this setting off in the built in sound equaliser.
Old 02-26-2023, 05:30 AM   #3
lucasodf

Drives: 2012 Yaris YR
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply.

I ended up finding a JVC unit at repco which includes a microphone and everything else i need apart from facia for the side to fill in the gap (also available at repco). It's really low profile so fitment should not be a problem in terms of depth and the bracket.

I also found this website which had really useful information on displaying what brackets/harness/facia i needed for my specific car. Ill link it down below if anyone else needs it.

TBH i dont plan on using the FM radio at all so poor reception doesn't worry me but will be interesting to see the quality difference between a chinese fitment and a good quality JVC fitment.

Thanks for your help mate!

https://aerpro.com/selector
lucasodf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, apple car play, headunit