Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2023, 09:47 AM   #1
unadilla66

Drives: '07 Yaris 3d, '12 Yaris 3d
Worth it to get a new clutch..?

'07 2-door hatch, 5sp, 195k.
Clutch is slipping after (yes, stupidly..) helping a neighbor pull his stuck car out of a snowbank. Should've said 'no', but I didn't- stopped the second I smelled it burning. Anyway. Driveable if I baby it and don't try to accelerate too fast. Car is pretty long-in-the-tooth, but still runs about as well as it ever has. Local mech's over-the-phone-estimate for putting in a new clutch is $1000-1600... Trying to decide if it's worth it...
unadilla66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:25 AM   #2
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
You don't have any friends that are mechanically incline whom can help you install a new clutch/disc, for the nominal fee of beer and pizza?
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 01:24 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Like many things in life it’s a crapshoot. But if there’s nothing else wrong with the car and it’s been maintained I would do it.

I grew up in Cobleskill is there anywhere near where you are?
Old 03-09-2023, 05:56 PM   #4
unadilla66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
You don't have any friends that are mechanically incline whom can help you install a new clutch/disc, for the nominal fee of beer and pizza?
Ah, I used up my 'credits' with the friend who has a lift, etc, late last fall when he helped me do the front control arms. What seemed like it would be a quick couple hour job turned into 2 days when the captive nut inside the subframe broke loose... swearing, sawing, welding.... Didn't help that it was freezing cold, too. But I suppose if I can baby it through the summer (and help said friend build his new house..) I may accrue some more credits...
Old 03-09-2023, 05:56 PM   #5
unadilla66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Like many things in life it’s a crapshoot. But if there’s nothing else wrong with the car and it’s been maintained I would do it.

I grew up in Cobleskill is there anywhere near where you are?
There's a mech in Oneonta who's decent.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:08 PM   #6
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by unadilla66 View Post
There's a mech in Oneonta who's decent.
I think what he's trying to say is, he's willing to help you out.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:42 PM   #7
unadilla66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
I think what he's trying to say is, he's willing to help you out.
Ah, I see! Cobbleskill is a bit of a ways away..
Old 03-10-2023, 07:51 AM   #8
bronsin

As I recall Unadilla is on route seven near Binghamton. I only went down route seven as far as Oneonta never got to Unadilla.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:45 AM   #9
unadilla66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
As I recall Unadilla is on route seven near Binghamton. I only went down route seven as far as Oneonta never got to Unadilla.
17m or so west of Oneonta. Pretty little town, but quite depressed (and sometimes 'depressing', especially this time of year..!).
Old 03-10-2023, 02:09 PM   #10
bronsin

Cobleskill schedule of events

April 1 October 1

Trout fishing. Canoe paddling on the Schoharie creek. Boating on Cooperstown lake. Bicycle riding.

October 1 February 29. Small game hunting. Bow hunting for deer. Shotgun season for deer. Skiing. Snowshoeing. Cross country skiing.

Month of March. No hunting no fishing no skiing no nothing. Well maybe skiing. The dead month. Easily the most depressing month!
Old 03-14-2023, 03:58 AM   #11
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Local car service guy did it for me for 450 USD (including quality clutch set and everything).
But it is a lot of work so I guess the cost of labor is a lot higher in your case. Still seem a bit overpriced though.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:49 PM   #12
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
depends on your car too, is it rusty? does it have anything broken? transmission leaks? there is no "menu" price when it comes to vehicle repairs
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:03 AM   #13
bronsin

Again, if the car has been maintained, it has no other outstanding issues. I would do the work if it’s $1000 even. You have to ask yourself how much wood another car be? Even if it were used? You d have to correct all the problems with that one!
Old 03-18-2023, 09:29 AM   #14
mirageman

Drives: 2009 yaris
I bought my '09 Yaris sedan 5 speed with just over 16k miles on it and it had the common shudder problem. Intentionally burning the clutch seemed to help for a few days, hehe... of course I knew I'd be changing the clutch eventually so I didn't care. Anyway, I got the Valeo clutch set from Autozone at a very decent price, I think it was $170. I had my flywheel resurfaced (make SURE whoever does it keeps the critical step height right) by a local machine shop guy. I did the job slowly myself and can tell you I was VERY happy with the result. It has been over 100k miles since installation and no slips, no shudder. The oem clutch was not good. If you have no leaks, no or little oil burning, and the body is not shameful, I would definitely put in a new clutch.
mirageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:12 PM   #15
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by unadilla66 View Post
'07 2-door hatch, 5sp, 195k.
Clutch is slipping after (yes, stupidly..) helping a neighbor pull his stuck car out of a snowbank. Should've said 'no', but I didn't- stopped the second I smelled it burning. Anyway. Driveable if I baby it and don't try to accelerate too fast. Car is pretty long-in-the-tooth, but still runs about as well as it ever has. Local mech's over-the-phone-estimate for putting in a new clutch is $1000-1600... Trying to decide if it's worth it...
I just replaced mine at the end of last year. it's an easy job and you don't need a lift. The tranny is not that heavy and can be lifted in/out by one person. I did it by myself twice with no jack and no lift. it only weighs about 70-80 pounds. The clutch kit was under $200 i believe. From the symptoms you describe it looks like the throw-out bearing is bad on yours, might as well replace the clutch plate and pressure plate too.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 12:30 AM   #16
matt4x4

Drives: 2008 Yaris, 4dr sedan, 5 spd
Remember also, there are DIY garages around, I noticed a new one the other day but I knew of the original
thats been around for 20 yrs. Used it twice. Those places have bays with lifts, hand tools, power tools, special tools, welders and maybe even paint stuff and booths.

There even might be a guy there that works out of the diy garage, independent of the garage, as his own biz.
He/she may be able to help you, as an extra hand only, not to baby sit coz his time is $. Thats if they're available, maybe slip him a 20, giving tid bits of advice.

----

Well if the previous post said its easy, I believe ya.
Any tips or tricks? or its just straight forward!
Is there an alignment tool for the clutch, or is it included in the kit or am I totally off. I watch a lot of repair shows on cable, now YT but trucks, jeeps and 4wd stuff.

I would buy a hd clutch, not a racing clutch because I know I need better clutch action on my part. Just a month driving stick, always been automatic but learned on stick and that knowledge never went away. Still stall it sometimes, I seem to have to rev it more, for whatever movement of clutch action I am doing.
matt4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:27 PM   #17
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
hell i am a tiny independent and will work on anything so long as someones throwing coin at me...and typicaly speaking ill undercut ANY shop labor by 50% and then use my discounts to further save someone coin on parts
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote