Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2023, 06:58 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Bronsin goes to Sudbury…maybe

People on this website have read that I went through Sudberry in the year 2000 on my motorcycle and saw evidence of the meteor that hit what is now the Sudberry area 2 billion years ago.

They also know, I just bought a Lexus IS250 hardtop convertible And have Parkinson’s.

The plan is in May to drive south on I 75. To the Natchez trace and then to Houston to see my brother. And across south Texas on 59 to 285 through Pecos to New Mexico and Roswell West passed the Trinity site across California and north of Route one and 101 to Washington state that across the Cascades to Montana and route 200 across North Dakota north of Lake superior, and from there to Sudbury.

I want to get a sample of the fractured rock I saw in Sudbury. I couldn’t in the year 2000 because of traffic

That’s the plan I don’t know if I’ll make it all the way or even leave. But if I do I’ll be posting pictures here. I see my neurologist next week. We’ll see what he says.
Old 03-17-2023, 12:09 PM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
That sounds like a great trip. Hope it happens for you. Always wanted to do a cross country road trip but never had the time, maybe when I retire. Furthest I've gone (from NYC) is to Texas and back.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 05:18 PM   #3
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
That sounds awesome, bronsin. We're all hoping it happens for you so we can see some awesome bronsin road trip pics. You'll be in our thoughts for your Dr. appt next week, my good man. Wish you the very best.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:41 AM   #4
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
if you go up 101, keep us posted, maybe ill run out to the beach and run up 101 with ya..fwiw im outside of portland

also..if your going up 101 youve got to do the whole thing, but do yourself a favor and when you get to port angels take the ferry across into victoria BC. its a place that imo has to be seen if your coming out this way...and would be a great place to spend the night then hop the ferry back across....the views are breathtaking

ive run "most" of 101 at this point minus most of washington 101 and a few small sections of so-cal
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:47 AM   #5
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
That sounds like a great trip. Hope it happens for you. Always wanted to do a cross country road trip but never had the time, maybe when I retire. Furthest I've gone (from NYC) is to Texas and back.
A Yaris is a great car for a road trip!
Old 03-18-2023, 01:51 AM   #6
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
if you go up 101, keep us posted, maybe ill run out to the beach and run up 101 with ya..fwiw im outside of portland

also..if your going up 101 youve got to do the whole thing, but do yourself a favor and when you get to port angels take the ferry across into victoria BC. its a place that imo has to be seen if your coming out this way...and would be a great place to spend the night then hop the ferry back across....the views are breathtaking

ive run "most" of 101 at this point minus most of washington 101 and a few small sections of so-cal
I will look on my map for port angels. If I get that far, you’re welcome to come along!

I seem to recall part of either one or 101. There was a rock slide that took out a bridge or something. And they said it would be forever until it was fixed. Is that so? Are any sections still closed?
Old 03-18-2023, 01:41 PM   #7
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I will look on my map for port angels. If I get that far, you’re welcome to come along!

I seem to recall part of either one or 101. There was a rock slide that took out a bridge or something. And they said it would be forever until it was fixed. Is that so? Are any sections still closed?
take it with a grain of salt but the ENTIRE west coast has slides every fall/spring, frmo nor-cal to the north end of washington....its just a way of life here..theres several logging roads turned highyways that snake to the coast that change every year a little bit due to slides

so "was" there...sure..is that spot still an issue?..i doubt it...most washouts are out of comission anywhere from a few days to a few weeks...not since the monsoon of 96 has anything been "out" for as long as a month

if i was to catch up with you it would be somewhere between newport and seaside...anything further south isnt worth the drive to me lol as the cross cut highyways down there are BORING

the last "leg" of 101 ive not yet traveled is aberdeen to forks to port angels...few realise it but from olyimpiya to port angels IS part of hwy 101 it "loops" that north west corner of washington...and that north west corner is some of the prettiest chunks of land ive seen....the oly to PA side of 101 is breathtaking thru the mountain winding twisting carving...its bikers dream..lots of corners to drag peg thru and some flat out sections "not patrolled"

like i said im just outside portland OR so if you need a heads up on anything...and ive been round here my whole life
Old 03-18-2023, 04:09 PM   #8
bronsin

That’s good to know thank you very much. We’ll see if this comes off it’s all in the planning stages now.
Old 03-19-2023, 07:52 AM   #9
bronsin

Here is what I used to plan trips. This goes in the hotel room with me at night. GPS is nice but it doesn’t give you an overall picture of where you are and where you want to go.

Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip
D17B66B2-3359-4163-B80F-396FD26AA06E.jpg (180.3 KB)
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2023, 02:31 PM   #10
sh0rtlife

couple that with a quick validation of google maps and youll instantly know if any roads are under const etc

i used to use a thomas brother map book..so i get it..any more ill pop up google maps and just drop n drag a bunch of pins of MY way of going to see if anything "doesnt work" or is broken/changed....works great and is printable...and can be fed to gps if needed

typicaly tho i glance at a map and ill know the route for atleats 8 hours
Old 03-19-2023, 02:35 PM   #11
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post

typicaly tho i glance at a map and ill know the route for atleats 8 hours
That’s what I do. That and keep things as simple as possible! So I don’t get lost!
Old 03-20-2023, 12:13 AM   #12
sh0rtlife

not me...i like the "old" hwy's the ones forgotten or off the beatin track a bit..the ones that roll thru the cool tiny old towns...HWY 101 is a solid example of the inbetween..its still a main hwy but only because its the artery for the beach towns
Old 03-20-2023, 08:16 AM   #13
bronsin

Here is a picture of the table in my room with stuff getting ready for the trip. The hot plate is what I would take in my hotel room at night to make dinner and then breakfast in the morning. The box on the right are individual servings of oatmeal And rice which are used to make breakfast and dinner. There’s a dish soap bottle full of cooking oil to make the rice and tunafish. I eat for dinner and a medicine bottle all the way on the left full of quarters so I can do laundry.

Next to the modem is my canon G9 camera the perfect small camera to take pictures. I always have it around my neck. On top of that is my pass port credit card I need to get back into the United States from Canada.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2023, 08:17 AM   #14
bronsin

Sorry about the picture I don’t know how to fix it!
Old 03-20-2023, 03:32 PM   #15
sh0rtlife

i LOVE the passport cards..coolest thing ever..cant fly with it but road and BOAT is ok
Old 03-22-2023, 08:00 AM   #16
bronsin

I bet the picture won’t be straight again, but this is what some thing I use on my trips. Instead of an alarm or a wake up call from the motel, this is a straight timer. It’s not affected by time zone, or people asleep at the wheel at the front desk. if it’s 10 o’clock at night and you want to get up at four in the morning, you just dial-in six hours and the alarm will go off when you want to get up!
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2023, 08:08 AM   #17
bronsin

This is a picture of my motorcycle an ST 1100. It’s the one I rode through Sudberry in the year 2000 when I saw the fractured rock. The picture is taken in Grandview Nebraska.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2023, 12:51 PM   #18
sh0rtlife

windows media viewer can rotate em and re-save em..but youll have to re-up them

that ST at a time was a bike i really REALLY wanted...before i fell in love with a kawi.....i adore my 07 zr-7s, but, im honda to the bone with it comes to motorcycles. but this damn kawi...its simple as a rock and a direct line and the last itteration of the famed GPZ....air cooled and 4 carbs aint much that can go wrong. and pulls like a big thumper...while the 5spd box keeps me looking for 6th...the ride still suprises me..it will gobble up the miles like its nothing but can still hang out the corners like a sport bike without being a heavy pig of a tourer...."sport touring" indeed...i once spent more than 14 hours in the saddle STRAIGHT..couldnt in fact get off even on the ferry rides as the wind gusts would have laid her over...
fwiw there nothing more gut wrenching than bustin ass to a ferry only to know its the last one of the day and you watch it pull out as your rolling in...haul ass for another..to watch it do the same, be stuck waiting an hour, ride for another 4 hours to do the same thing again for another bloody ferry...50mph wind gusts and monsoon rains coming down sideways...it was a VERY long day