Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2023, 08:48 AM   #1
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
A/C oil type and how much ?

I believe the freon leaked out of my condenser after that small crash the other day.
If you replace the condenser how much and what type of oil should you put back in? I've read online that it only uses about 3 ounces of oil total and PAG 46 Is okay to use, can anyone confirm that ??
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:03 AM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
the condensor carrys no real amount of oil only oil vapor, and you shouldnt need to add any oil if only replacing components

as far as actual oil capacity the only way to be sure is to drain the pump and check directly with the compressor type and spec .....the specs are very specific to pump ID not year/make/model of the car and often times you have mid yer changes that may slightly change the compressor and how much oil its got
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:27 AM   #3
esse10

A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
the condensor carrys no real amount of oil only oil vapor, and you shouldnt need to add any oil if only replacing components

as far as actual oil capacity the only way to be sure is to drain the pump and check directly with the compressor type and spec .....the specs are very specific to pump ID not year/make/model of the car and often times you have mid yer changes that may slightly change the compressor and how much oil its got
thanks for the reply. So you have replaced a condenser on these cars before ? most A/C systems i believe the oil travels with the freon and there's a sump with most of the oil in the compressor.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:03 PM   #4
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Authorized Toyota dealership nearby organizes an action "get ready for season" every spring where they prepare the AC system - suck all the refrigerant and oil out, test the system and refill it with the correct ratio of refreshed (removed humidity and debris) refrigerant and oil.
When I had a chat with them, they confirmed what you have mentioned: people tend to add oil when adding refrigerant at home and it is wrong is in most cases it leads in too much oil in the system.
If you are not sure what is left in the system, it might be worth giving this to the service center where they can suck it all out first and also run the test to ensure the AC system is completely sealed? It takes 35 USD here (plus the cost of refrigerant), it includes deep cleaning of the AC system etc...
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 04:46 PM   #5
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
thanks for the reply. So you have replaced a condenser on these cars before ? most A/C systems i believe the oil travels with the freon and there's a sump with most of the oil in the compressor.
i retrofitted AC into my 07 ..as it didnt come with AC, took me over a year to source the various bits n pieces none of which were new or from the same car

so long as you have a vacume pump and the ac guages to do it yourself its actualy simple....even still if you dont, so long as you put in a new dryer and filter into a SEALED system your fine, i wish i could remember what oil i put in the compressor as it was used and i did a reseal on it along with new oil

every stitch of tech i could find regarding oil is that yes..oil vapor travels with teh freon but should be minimal at best, the "important" oil stays with the compressor, any oil in the system with the freon is just a side effect that shouldnt be there
Old 03-23-2023, 07:40 PM   #6
esse10

freon

Quote:
i retrofitted AC into my 07 ..as it didnt come with AC, took me over a year to source the various bits n pieces none of which were new or from the same car

so long as you have a vacume pump and the ac guages to do it yourself its actualy simple....even still if you dont, so long as you put in a new dryer and filter into a SEALED system your fine, i wish i could remember what oil i put in the compressor as it was used and i did a reseal on it along with new oil

every stitch of tech i could find regarding oil is that yes..oil vapor travels with teh freon but should be minimal at best, the "important" oil stays with the compressor, any oil in the system with the freon is just a side effect that shouldnt be there
I just need the information specs on the A/C system for these cars so that I can replace the condenser . thanks for the reply guys.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:48 PM   #7
sh0rtlife

to be clear its not for "these cars"..toyota does not make them, and toyota doesnt have the correct specs as even toyota doesnt know what compressor was put in your car or what revision..they just know its "style x"

you need to look up the part number for your EXACT compressor and run it thru the manufacturers database (not toyota)to get the right oil type and amount as well as the step by step verification of oil level

there are atleast 6 different compressor numbers used on our cars as there were revisions that changed how much oil and even type
in fact there are 3 different possible compressors just for 2007 ....yes toyota lists only 1, but when you dig deeper into the actual model number of the compressor(which is where you get the REAL information) thats when you find out about revisions....

simply put..you need to pull the number off the stamped plate on your compressor and run it thru uhh sanden?'s website

i was in your same boat when i was doing my retrofit...and got rather overwhelmed till i got an understanding of the fact that its the compressor serial number and part number that dictate the oil
Old 03-24-2023, 04:14 PM   #8
esse10

okay got it

Quote:
to be clear its not for "these cars"..toyota does not make them, and toyota doesnt have the correct specs as even toyota doesnt know what compressor was put in your car or what revision..they just know its "style x"

you need to look up the part number for your EXACT compressor and run it thru the manufacturers database (not toyota)to get the right oil type and amount as well as the step by step verification of oil level

there are atleast 6 different compressor numbers used on our cars as there were revisions that changed how much oil and even type
in fact there are 3 different possible compressors just for 2007 ....yes toyota lists only 1, but when you dig deeper into the actual model number of the compressor(which is where you get the REAL information) thats when you find out about revisions....

simply put..you need to pull the number off the stamped plate on your compressor and run it thru uhh sanden?'s website

i was in your same boat when i was doing my retrofit...and got rather overwhelmed till i got an understanding of the fact that its the compressor serial number and part number that dictate the oil
okay thanks for the reply man i'll look into that before i replace the condenser.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:23 PM   #9
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
okay thanks for the reply man i'll look into that before i replace the condenser.
to be blunt..id replace the condensor and not worry about the oil....as draining oil out of the pump isnt easy either
Old 03-25-2023, 01:17 PM   #10
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
just add an ounce of oil and an ounce of dye, cal it a day, its not going to affect anything or make the compressor blow up, ac parts are forgiving in that manner
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:30 PM   #11
esse10

A/C specs

Thanks everyone for your replies and support. i did manage to find the information i was looking for on another post. It turns out that the condenser does need 1ounce of oil and it's ND-OIL 8 or equivalent if you're replacing the condenser.