Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
JDMVitz
Obsessive Detailer

Drives: JDM
USDM and JDM?

The TEIN thread in the suspension forum inspired me to ask this question.

How much differ does the JDM Vitz have compared to the USDM Yaris? I believe the JDM rear bumper won't fit on our car without modification. What about the front, and other components such as suspension, intake, header, exhaust?

I know someone who recently took delivery for his FIT, but he told me that MOST JDM parts won't fit on it because the JDM spec FIT is different in terms of spec.
JDMVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
JDMVitz
Obsessive Detailer

So no one can confirm on the fitment of parts yet?

I noticed that in the US they sell TRD stuff, like shocks and springs, but the prices are much cheaper than what's listed in the Japan TRD website. Are their any difference between them?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
Yes there are differences, but not what you are thinking. the TRD Japan parts are manufactured by different companies than the american counterparts. The TRD NA springs are manufactured by Eibach and the struts are Tokico I believe. TRD Japan springs are Swift (I think) and the struts are KYB.
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #4
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Interesting about springs. I've always wondered who'd done it.. Certainly not Eibach feeling about my springs.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
JDMVitz
Obsessive Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookitsjames
Yes there are differences, but not what you are thinking. the TRD Japan parts are manufactured by different companies than the american counterparts. The TRD NA springs are manufactured by Eibach and the struts are Tokico I believe. TRD Japan springs are Swift (I think) and the struts are KYB.
Thanks!

haha, so i guess the question is now, which one is better, USDM or JDM?
Old 07-04-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
TRD America and TRD Japan are completely different companies, so you never know... the parts are usually done by companies in the same area

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Without them side by side, you can't really say one is better than the other. I like mine (TRD Japan) though at walking pace, is very bouncy over wavey bumps on the road.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #8
Hyde

Drives: M3,CayenneS,SL500,550i,GT3RS
the major difference between JDM is the front rebar being bigger and the rear doesnt have a re-bar, LHD and RHD difference, and maybe some ECU difference
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:08 PM   #9
JDMVitz
Obsessive Detailer

^ So the JDM bumper set won't fit without modification on the USDM yaris, correct? Suspension wise, they are identical?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #10
Hyde

yes, the car is identical other then some very minor difference which can be easily changed. you need to get the JDM front rebar and remove the rear rebar to fit JDM kits as the USDM bumpers are sightly longer.

lower lip for front and rear that are design with the JDM standard bumper also wont fit the USDM bumper.

right now, i'm still trying to confirm that the tranny and ecu is the same as the JDM Vitz RS.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:20 PM   #11
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Just check.. there ARE variations between models on suspension.... (tip: check the suspension dimensions)
Old 07-05-2006, 12:51 AM   #12
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
Without them side by side, you can't really say one is better than the other. I like mine (TRD Japan) though at walking pace, is very bouncy over wavey bumps on the road.
THIS IS SO TRUE!!! JDM doesn't mean SH!T anymore with many great US companies offering parts..check Honda-Tech.com, there was a big discussion on engine torque dampers and the Ingalls being superior to the JDM brands.

But, don't discount JDM either, many companies make GREAT parts, but like Smelly Tofu says, you gotta compare the parts side by side and REALLY research what aspects are most important..

As far as Vitz/Yaris parts and interchangeability, we are still IN THE VERY EARLY stages of determining what parts are 'swappable".
Old 07-05-2006, 03:27 AM   #13
Hyde

there "might" be difference for the SCP90 (1.0L and 1.3L) but all the Yaris sold in north america is NCP91.

the only thing that i'm not sure if it fit its the LSD from TRD and the R-Fit i-Color, cuz USDM ecu harness might be different. but otherwise, we've test fitted cusco coilovers and the braces, they all bolt on. plus, on the RS, there is hardly JDM specific components other then the exterior and the rear disc brakes. even the rear disc can easily be fitted on the USDM car.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:01 PM   #14
JDMVitz
Obsessive Detailer

^ Thanks for the info Hyde. Please do update us if you know whether more JDM parts can be bolted onto our cars.