Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
onizuka

Drives: Yaris Blk 5 Drs RS
lowered car in Canadian winter

To those whom lowered their car in Toronto, with our record snow from last year, tell us your winter story (bad or good) with your lowered car. Don't forget to tell us your type of lowering spring.

I'm planning in lowering my car next summer. I'm looking for NF210 for a small drop. My car is a daily commuter, and I don't want to get stucked in snow. But if anyone owning TRD or DF210, or even Tein is doing well in snow, feel free to share your thought.
onizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Dropped on TRD springs since day one. Pushing around a bit of snow isn't a problem... I even drove on the stock all-seasons for 2 winters. I find the worst is getting towards spring when the side roads are pretty heavily rutted, and you bottom out on the ice. Kinda scrapey, uncomfortable noise...

But yeah, with a good set of tires (have proper winters on now), even lowered, this car is great!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
stevencyt

Drives: 2007 Yaris LE
This is my first winter in Toronto. However, I was living in Winnipeg with my DF spring on snow tires. I didn't have any problem...........
stevencyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencyt View Post
This is my first winter in Toronto. However, I was living in Winnipeg with my DF spring on snow tires. I didn't have any problem...........
Welcome to Scarborough Steven. I moved here from Winnipeg 3 years ago. Hopefully things will work out for you here.

When I lived there I was on a residential street which didn't get plowed more than twice a winter and I drove a lower BMW. I had no issues and didn't have to shovel as much snow after the front grill plowed the top layer out of the way
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Is a GB on TRD's in the cards!!!!!!!!!!!!1
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
Nice idea, I would be interested in that uncle....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
stevencyt

I like Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
Welcome to Scarborough Steven. I moved here from Winnipeg 3 years ago. Hopefully things will work out for you here.

When I lived there I was on a residential street which didn't get plowed more than twice a winter and I drove a lower BMW. I had no issues and didn't have to shovel as much snow after the front grill plowed the top layer out of the way
thank you for the info., hey hey hey Toronto has more fun than Winnipeg...especially more nice car to see on the street. Now I'm just expecting spring to come for the car meet......
Old 11-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
windypeg/winterpeg ftL

i wouldnt worry too much about a mild drop in southern ontario....roads are generally pretty clear

ill be putting on my toyota canada springs (aka eibach prokits) in spring and rolling on them all year....

i had prokits on my matrix xrs (2004) and never found it bad....but i always took off the front chins for the winter....

only thing that would/will concern me is smoking a chunk of ice in the winter and destroying a foglight...

summer:

winter:
Old 11-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #9
stevencyt

Last week, there were LOTS of salt on the street....and on my car......
Old 11-27-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencyt View Post
Last week, there were LOTS of salt on the street....and on my car......
Argh, that's why no one from the west who is educated will buy used cars from the east. That salt is a royal PITA.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i think salt is better than sand. I mean, you can protect your car from salt, but you can't protect it from being sand blasted.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
out west is worse....you can make a mint in calgary if you own an apple autoglass

they use friggin gravel out there....its insane.....give me salt or sand ANY day....

all i saw were broken windshields and dented up hoods and bumpers when i was there in april....
Old 11-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
Ric n Sov's Vitz RS
Waiting to be SC'ed

Drives: 07 RS LB mt 5 door polar white
Send a message via MSN to Ric n Sov's Vitz RS
I have Tein's dropped since day one as well, Side streets depending where in Toronto you are can be tricky.. I already ripped off my heat sheild under the car but it's useless any ways.

Major streets are not an issue as they are plowed pretty good.

I only use all season for the winters so far.

-Rick
Ric n Sov's Vitz RS is offline   Reply With Quote