Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #37
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
comparing apples to apples as best possible, auto vs auto, manual vs manual, all the data ive found tells me the yaris beats the fit in mpg's across the board and the epa estimates reflect this. i even made a crude spreadsheet when debating on a change to an 09 corolla vs the new fit. the average mpg for the fit. the corolla won out on highway driving by over 2 mpg's. of course, anyone should be wiping out the epa estimates as they are calculated now. i ended up w/ a lifetime avg of 42.3 mpg with my yaris hb manual, and that was 70% light suburban, 15-20% highway and 10-15% city driving. this was using reasonable driving habits but by no means hypermiling.

at any rate, in evaluating all the subcompacts being discussed, using as much objective testing and observations as possible, the yaris is still coming out tops in mileage.

by the same token, being as objective as possible, the fit is more fun to drive and the better handler. heck even my 09 corolla allows me to take twisty off ramps at much higher speed and still feels far more secure than my yaris did.

i still will contend that at the same price the yaris doesnt quite measure up to the fit, outside of looks (which is pretty subjective) and fuel economy (which is not subjective). but, those two items are high on many peoples list.

Last edited by roxy1; 06-10-2009 at 05:13 PM.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #38
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
central gause is under cons...??? i dont think id drive another vehicle without the gauges in the centre...its just so much better than looking in between ur steering wheel unless ur steering wheel is transparent or made of glass then maybe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaYaris View Post
From Edmunds.com

What Edmunds.com says

The 2009 Toyota Yaris boasts a variety of body styles and a solid track record for reliability, but there are better choices for an economy car.

Pros

Very fuel-efficient, comfortable ride, handsome interior, multiple body styles, hatchback's available multifunction rear seat.

Cons

Acceleration-sapping automatic transmission, awkward seating position, centrally placed gauges.

What's New for 2009

For 2009, the Toyota Yaris becomes safer via standard side curtain airbags and antilock brakes. This year also brings a new addition to the lineup: a four-door hatchback.

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/yaris/2009/review.html
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #39
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
Before purchasing my 09 hatch, i test drove the ford focus, honda fit, hyundai accent,chevy cobalt, chevy aveo, honda civic, nissan versa, and the toyota yaris.

By far the yaris was my #1 pick out of those vehicles. The price made sense, the vehicle itself made sense, and the overall value with the yaris made sense.

I dont really understand how the kia rio made it above the yaris...but whatever.
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #40
highwaypass
Captain Slow

Drives: '08 1.5 hatchback
I think it's only a "propaganda" to bring down the image of toyota.Whenever you reach the highest place,the more people will force you to leave it.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #41
Ingear
Ingear

Drives: Geo Metro Convertible
Are you really surprised?

all for the same reasons that the actual mpg is misrepresented. I really really dislike sounding like a conspiracy theorist, BUT... The auto manufacturers make more money when you buy the bigger fancier cars that get worse fuel mileage. They know that the people who really know will buy the Yaris anyway. So why should they even care. Look at the hybrid dilema... It might be difficult to convince someone to buy a Toyota prius at twice as much money getting 44 mpg when a Yaris gets 42 mpg... Admittedly, safety issues aside.
Ingear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #42
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingear View Post
all for the same reasons that the actual mpg is misrepresented. I really really dislike sounding like a conspiracy theorist, BUT... The auto manufacturers make more money when you buy the bigger fancier cars that get worse fuel mileage. They know that the people who really know will buy the Yaris anyway. So why should they even care. Look at the hybrid dilema... It might be difficult to convince someone to buy a Toyota prius at twice as much money getting 44 mpg when a Yaris gets 42 mpg... Admittedly, safety issues aside.
i agree that (imo) toyota lowballed the yaris mpg so it wouldn't cut into their prius sales.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #43
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Why do so many people think that automakers make MPG ratings?

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #44
Gr8ful_Ken

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 door
My biggest gripe with the yaris, is the lack of gauges. Especially a tach. CR and other press takes into account these extras and creature comforts.

But that stuff I think is secondary for the target buyer of a subcompact. We want to save money: in fuel, maintenance costs, reliability, and in price.

Yeah, I preferred the instrument clusters on the Rio 5 and the Fit better. As I did the driving position. But when I factored the reason why I decided to look at these 3 cars, I realized The Yaris would work best for me overall. I got used to the driving position and will learn to deal withought gauges.

and the Fit is FUGLY!
Gr8ful_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #45
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
As if CRs problems with the Yaris werent enough, they rate the C5 Corvette much worse than average for reliability. In several surveys I have seen out of 200 plus people the average was 4.9 out of 5 stars. I wonder does Pelosi have anything to do with them?
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #46
QuantumIguana

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
They didn't like the center dashboard. I thought it was odd at first, but I got used to it really fast. On a short test drive, I could see it being distracting. My Yaris was totaled in a crash last week. I had only had it a few months. I had a PT Cruiser for a loaner, and I found it very distracting NOT having the guages in the center. And I don't know what they are talking about with an odd driving position. I'm 5'6", and neither I nor my 6'6" friend have any problem with the driving position.

And no, Pelosi had nothing to do with CR's review.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #47
Steveh27

Drives: 2010 3dr hatchback auto red
CR 2010 different

I looked at the 2010 CR auto mag. It lists the 2009 Yaris as the highest rated used car in the US, confirming my research before I bought my 2010.
Steveh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #48
sue08401

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door w/ MT
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is with the center instrument placement there is room directly in front of the driver for a GPS. I have a Garmin placed directly in front of me that is easy to read at a glance. One added benifit is that I usually have it in a mode that displays the speed I'm going with the speed limit off to the left. The Garmin's display is easier to read and if I go into map mode I have it right in front of me which to my thinking is a lot safer.
sue08401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #49
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveh27 View Post
I looked at the 2010 CR auto mag. It lists the 2009 Yaris as the highest rated used car in the US, confirming my research before I bought my 2010.
It just baffles me that they can come up with two completely contrasting opinions of the exact same car just one year later.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #50
echaru
PsychMobile

Drives: '10 Yaris 5Dr Blazing Blue
That's because Toyota didn't pay them but the others did. A year later with all the success of the Yaris, CR has to tell the truth.
echaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:13 AM   #51
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Consumer Reports is 2 faced

CR says one of the cons of the Yaris is it's center mounted speedometer though they never mention a bad word about the Mini's center mounted Speedometer. There is room for an analog speedometer above the steering wheel and the center dash could be replaced with another storage compartment if they wanted it that way. Seeing how the lift back was styled in France and some of their high end cars have center dash instrument panels it stands to reason this was chosen for fashion. People check their side mirrors often and you never hear a complaint about their location and the center speedometer is closer to your line of sight than they are. I really don't get it. I think it takes a slightly more sophisticated eye to appreciate the Yaris than the employee pool at CR.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #52
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
We've dropped C.R.. Same stuff month to month , such as DVD players , T.V.s , computers , etc. . Plus they take the mileage from the window sticker of the car and divide by 2 ( sometimes bump it up or down by 1 ) to give the mileage which is misleading . Not the real mileage . If there's an issue of interest we'll just go to the library for a look .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #53
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
I'm a driving instructor, and have 111,900KMS on my 2009 Yaris. Came across this site while researching for my new car (lease is up in April)

I've driven the 2009 model more than most people in history, most likely.
I don't think Consumer Reports is on crack. The Yaris is a slightly below average car. Here's my review:

What I like, and why Consumer reports is wrong:

1) Acceleration. On a flat surface, the Yaris' acceleration is good. It's light and quick, and getting on the freeway at merging speeds is always easy (Unless you're stuck behind the dreaded slow merger).

The exception to this, is uphill acceleration. Going uphill, this car stinks.

2) Handling. I think the yaris handles turns and evasive maneuvers really well. Parking is great and the steering is quite responsive and turning radius nice and tight.

3) MPG. Obviously pretty damn good, and really important in my line of work.

4) Center gauges. Most of the negative reviews I've seen mention this. It stupid to mention. It's obvious, and a matter of opinion. And yeah, if you're not used to it, it's weird and takes a few days to get used to, but that's no different than ANY new thing. The center gauges are excellent in my line of work, as I don't need to stretch to see any of the important things.

5) The horn. It's all over the wheel and I love it.

What I don't like, and why I think the consumer reports article is fair

1) The pedals. Holy crap are these things awful. Light and twitchy, smooth accelerating is something that is really hard to do. Way too many bumpy rides in thing.

2) Low quality interior. The Dash is cheap looking, and collects dust like no ones business. Which is more important to the Yaris, because there is no gauges in front of you, only the dash. The Shifter sucks, and my hand grip has been worn down like crazy. Yes, there are a lot of storage cubbies, but they are not very well thought out. You lose and change or pens in the center cubbies and it is really, really hard to get back out again. It's nice for papers and such, but it's really hard to see what's in there.

The Steering wheel and radio are average. Nothing even worth mentioning, even though I just did :)

3) The cupholders. This could qualify as "interior" but I hate them so much. They are RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE VENTS! What the hell? In the winter, my cold drinks get heated up And forget about a can of pop in the winter. You have the heater on, and the pop can is too hot to drink from. In the summer the Air Conditioning is blocked!

4) The noise. Ugh. This car is LOUD. The sound system is decent, buit when the car is running, especially at high speeds you can't hear anything. The road noise is so loud. Louder than any car I've ever driven. Even the windshield vibrates loudly from time to time!

5) The ride. It's bumpy. I know it's a cheap car, but it just doesn't ride well at all. Bumpy, loud and this car drifts quite a bit.

6) The reliability. While I've obviously driven the car a lot, I've had a few major problems. I won't get into it unless anyone cares, because anecdotal evidence is just that, but let's just say I'm not thrilled with the Toyota Quality.

So all in all, I'd rate it what the original review rated it: A slightly below average car. I'd only recommend it to people who don't drive too often, or too far.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #54
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageehw View Post
6) The reliability. While I've obviously driven the car a lot, I've had a few major problems. I won't get into it unless anyone cares, because anecdotal evidence is just that, but let's just say I'm not thrilled with the Toyota Quality.
What issues have you had?
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote