Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
vic7c

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Gas Mileage is dropping.

I have 2008 that I have owned since Oct 1 2012. Approaching 105,000 miles. Notice mileage has dropped from 30-35 to about 25 miles per gallon this winter. I've been told this is normal but I don't remember it lowering in previous winters. I have not gotten a tuneup...I have gotten regular oil changes in 16 pt. look ins with the deal I made..Just got new brakes and tires a few months ago. Could the new tires have caused a problem if not aligned right or should I just get a tune up (maybe check fuel injection)...should I go to a Toyota dealer or stick with the place I get free oil changes, which is a large dealer but doesn't regularly work on Toyotas?
vic7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:13 PM   #2
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
mileage does drop over winter but dropping to that extent is a bit much. I would assume with the 16pt inspection they checked air filters and the such, but yeah i might suspect fuel injection.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
to put it in perspective I usually go from 5.5L/100km to 6.7L/100km from summer to winter. I'd personally wait until spring time and see if it goes back, if not then likely something going on which could be a bunch of things
Old 01-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
If it doesn't recover there a good chance the AFR sensor is loosing resolution with that much mileage. But tires can also effect mileage too.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
New tires will absolutely drop gas mileage. So will winter gas. Have you had the transmission fluid changed? That will also drop gas mileage when it gets really dirty. Check the tire pressures, too low will cause worse gas mileage. I'd pump it up as high as you are comfortable with, I personally go the highest my tires say they can be inflated.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:06 AM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Could be the brakes??? The pistons may not have been reset and are touching the rotors too much. The same with the rear if you replaced the shoes, may have been over adjusted and the shoes are riding the drums.

If you got extremely sticky tires, that'll cause a drop in mpg.

Spark plugs may be fouled by now (I think they're supposed to be changed at 120k). I know I changed them in my previous Yaris at 61k.

MAF sensor may be dirty, as the TB may be as well.

Winter gas blend drops the mpg some, and even more so if it's a bad batch of gas. I remember getting a couple bad batches of gas in my previous Yaris, and my mpg went down about 8 mpg. How quickly were the pumps flowing the last few times you filled up?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
What everyone said.

Tires are a major player, tune up, dirty maf (i clean mine every 15k) your brakes and winter fuel

Maybe they have your rear brakes adjusted up too much

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
vic7c

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Thank you everyone. I called Munro which did my brakes and tires and they were mystified. They don't have email.(really) and said I could print this out and bring it in.
vic7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #9
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I wouldn't worry about it .. my Yaris I am getting about 20 MPG US now in the winter compared to about 39 MPG US in the summer.

So a decrease about 50% in my gas mileage during the winter.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #10
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I wouldn't worry about it .. my Yaris I am getting about 20 MPG US now in the winter compared to about 39 MPG US in the summer.

My car usually drops 3-4mpg for winter. Then i put my grille blocks in and I nearly get all of it back

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:27 AM   #11
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post

50% is way too big a drop. Maybe something else is going on with your car.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #12
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Agreed, a couple of MPG for winter gas is normal; but not 30-35 MPG down to 25 MPG.

You've got another issue.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #13
Motzking1

Drives: 47 2013 yaris l hatchbacks
You definitely have something going on here. That's just too drastic of a change not to be. With no check engine being illuminated that kind of Narrows what the problem could be. I will run down a quick list of possibilities from most likely to least likely.
1 the mass airflow sensor located on top of the air filter assembly has become contaminated.
2 the air fuel ratio sensors are oxygen sensors as some call them in the exhaust system before the Cadillac converter have become contaminated and are working extremely slowly. They work on being heated by internal heaters and exhaust temperature so this problem possibly could get worse with extreme cold weather.
3 your fuel injectors have been contaminated and are plugged and the spray pattern is very poor leading to poor fuel atomization.
4. There is something wrong with your battery or electrical generation system. I have seen ones with internal plate shorts in the battery that cause the battery to have a very low ohm rating. This cause the alternator to work at 100% duty cycle all the time and dragging down the performance of the engine and the overall gas mileage. Also all modern cars require a very steady good supply of electrical current and a poor battery can cause all kinds of wacky stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Motzking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #14
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Put in new plugs and clean or change the MAF sensor. Also change the air filter, unless it's already been changed recently. Those are the basic things you need to do. Then check the mileage again.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #15
Motzking1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
Put in new plugs and clean or change the MAF sensor. Also change the air filter, unless it's already been changed recently. Those are the basic things you need to do. Then check the mileage again.

Why would you replace spark plugs. There is no engine misfire. That is not the problem here. And engine misfire would illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp or a check engine light. Replacing the spark plugs at this point for anything other than maintenance will not help the problem.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:20 PM   #16
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Nothing to do with misfiring. Heavily used spark plugs degrade engine performance.

tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #17
Motzking1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
Nothing to do with misfiring. Heavily used spark plugs degrade engine performance.

Heavily used? They haven't even reach the factory maintenance interval of a hundred twenty thousand miles? And I would like for you to explain the mechanism of action of how a used spark plug in any fashion that is working perfectly normal is going to have any adverse reaction at all on the engine. There is a federally mandated very sophisticated monitoring system to make sure if there's any issue whatsoever with the spark plugs that would cause any incomplete burn or anything all that would cause an incomplete burn in the cylinder that would eliminate a malfunction indicator lamp mil. The systems are extremely sophisticated and extremely effective. Hundreds of millions of dollars of research shared among all manufacturers has gone into designing these systems to be extremely effective. So you want me to disregard all of that and believe that you know better when to replace the spark plug?

Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 PM   #18
alias06

Drives: 2008 Red Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motzking1 View Post
Heavily used? They haven't even reach the factory maintenance interval of a hundred twenty thousand miles? And I would like for you to explain the mechanism of action of how a used spark plug in any fashion that is working perfectly normal is going to have any adverse reaction at all on the engine. There is a federally mandated very sophisticated monitoring system to make sure if there's any issue whatsoever with the spark plugs that would cause any incomplete burn or anything all that would cause an incomplete burn in the cylinder that would eliminate a malfunction indicator lamp mil. The systems are extremely sophisticated and extremely effective. Hundreds of millions of dollars of research shared among all manufacturers has gone into designing these systems to be extremely effective. So you want me to disregard all of that and believe that you know better when to replace the spark plug?

If I am reading your post correctly you are referring to the O2 sensors giving a MIL when something goes wrong. As sophisticated as they are, they do not always tell the whole truth to the problem. There are many steps involved in the system before it will actually trigger the light. One example of this would be for an issue to happen more than once within a certain drive cycle such as if a single misfire was to happen within 500 miles of driving the light will not come on but it doesn't tell you that you had a misfire. But let's say that you have a misfire every mile you drive, that'll more likely trip the light. Just because you don't get a MIL doesn't necessarily mean everything is operating at full potential. Also OP stated that the mileage is at 105K miles, I wouldn't say that is too far off from the 120k you stated. Some mechanical items fail earlier and some lasts longer, its all subjective to abuse and maintenance.
alias06 is offline   Reply With Quote