Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2007, 03:26 AM   #1
tacsnier

Drives: Yaris
What parts do I need to lower a Yaris?

What parts do I need to lower a Yaris? I was told to get thing to do is get new springs and shocks....... but sounds like I will need to find a shop to do this for me, so how much did it cost you to lower your Yaris?
tacsnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:03 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
you don't really need shocks, a lot of members here still ride on the OEM shocks. depending on what you have (LB or sedan), the pricing will vary. the sedan takes more work (if you're changing your shocks). if not then it shouldn't be hard. look up the Tanabe DIY thread by Chris. it'll help you out, and save you money. if you go to a shop, i say be ready to spend a couple hundred dollars (if it's a 100 bucks an hour).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Old 05-29-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
still haven't lowered mine. got the springs, just no one to do it for me.

cuz i'm a helpless girl.

and i'll be damned if i pay midas 300+ bucks to slap on some springs. if i had the tools i'd do it mahself.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Quote:
Originally Posted by death is my gift View Post

cuz i'm a helpless girl.

and i'll be damned if i pay midas 300+ bucks to slap on some springs. if i had the tools i'd do it mahself.
i may not be in america, but im gettin a local guy to install my springs for $200AUD which comes to about 164USD........theres got to be someone in dallas that will install it for 150USD or so....shop around is the best thing and can be quite healthy for your wallet too.

People have quoted me as up to $450!!!! just for the installation!! 200 was the best deal i got for a company. Maybe some of your mates can install it for $50 or so??
Old 05-29-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
Quote:

cuz i'm a helpless girl.

All you really need are the right sized sockets and wrenches as well as a spring compressor. I bought the racket-tightened spring compressors from Auto-zone a year ago for like $25 and they've worked great on every car I've used them on. The work is tedious, but it gets the job done.

If you guys are planning on lowering, then changing your shocks and what-not, then I HIGHLY recommend doing it all at once. The rear assembly takes about 10mins to do, but the front is a real PITA simply due to space-restrictions for the shock tower.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
ryz1711
Eat, Sleep, JDM

Drives: Yaris'07 & Ford Laser'98
Send a message via ICQ to ryz1711 Send a message via MSN to ryz1711 Send a message via Yahoo to ryz1711
i got mine lowered for free :) cos i got the springs directly from a workshop that sells them.. $459 + free installation = lowered yaris + :)

usually it'll cost $15 a piece to saw off a few rounds of the springs + installation... but usually it's free if you get them installed from the shop you got the springs from...
ryz1711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
ceres
Club Baby Seals

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryz1711 View Post
i got mine lowered for free :) cos i got the springs directly from a workshop that sells them.. $459 + free installation = lowered yaris + :)

usually it'll cost $15 a piece to saw off a few rounds of the springs + installation... but usually it's free if you get them installed from the shop you got the springs from...
What springs did you get because that seems awfully high. I got mine from a vendor here for $175.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I did mine with a friend -- the fronts are a little tedious (because all the parts that come out from under the hood just to get to that ONE stupid strut bolt!), the backs are easy.

I did not change shocks, and we used the cheap ratchet spring compressor (only needed in the front) like the other post.

3.5 hours total.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:46 AM   #10
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
The lowering is easy to do. I have never done any suspension stuff at all and I thought it was a breeze. Look for the DIY from Chris. It is word for word picture for picture. I have 30,000 miles on mine and no problems out of the shocks or anything. I have the NF drop so I imagine you might have some difference going lower with the DF's
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:19 AM   #11
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceres View Post
What springs did you get because that seems awfully high. I got mine from a vendor here for $175.
Yeah wtf? Are they made of gold? :)
Old 06-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #12
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
i dod mine also and it took about 1.5 hrs. but thats because i used a lift and air tools. but you can do it by hand and it will take no more than 3 hrs. total.

chris did a really good diy, check it out and i'm certain you can do it yourself.
good luck!
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #13
redduck

Drives: Yaris
Quote:

cuz i'm a helpless girl.

You should call around to different shops. Midas usually tries to F you in the A. so I would cal around to mom and pop places and see what you can come up with. Then again go buy the tools b.c. its not real hard. IMO the hardest part is getting the assembly back in the tower.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #14
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
got mine for $130 shipped and the install is free cause its my friend in the shop....he's on here BXNIT......

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:03 AM   #15
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
I paid 200 euros for my HR springs...And they rock!
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:15 PM   #16
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
WOW thats like $300 for the install or like not even 2hrs and a case of american brew for one of us to install:)
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote