Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-24-2010, 12:16 AM   #217
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Working on the center channel, and the pillar that holds the passengers seatbelt, lost of engine and transmission noise coming from the center channel, some how I'm trying to add MLV across and some CCF under, I also notice that in some areas the floor gets really HOT! wonder if I should use some reinforced MLV (I got some of this to apply under the hood and on the other side of the fire wall) to reduce heat transmission inside the cabin from the exhaust? Bad in summer but good in winter...
PS... I ordered lugnuts (in Black) for my new wheels.
More soon.

D.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #218
derickveliz2

Working late, again... but this time on my car... yes last night I had that Bug to get things done, not that I finished but I did finish the floor on the passangers side, it's hard with the MLV where floor meets walls and corners; also wanted to get plenty of CCF and MLV going up under the center console and all the way back to the arm rest. I do have a confession... I was to lazy to remove the OEM deadening material, so I end up putting more Matt under the seat covering all this area.

I had to do in in sections, MLV doesn't likes to be bend in 2 directions, and follow by a slow process with the glue trying to set up and making sure that I was going to be able to put everything back together. I don't want to have another bad experience like the one with the right front door.

I'll post images later, but as of todays ride... it's getting better and better, this is very satisfactory for me and gives me a happy face and all the strength to keep going.

When hitting a bump I could feel the bump but barely hear it (towards the passengers side. I remember when I read long time ago that the Yaris has a noisy engine at high RPMs "NOT any more".

The DashMat works really nice , it was raining last night and the noise coming from the drops of water(rain) [a very annoying peak noise] hitting the windshield at 75 mph blends in a quiet lower frequency level, same for wind noise, The DashMat it's not pretty but acoustically works very well.

I'm having a second thought about the doors, since I can't get a full coverage of the door with MLV I'm going to order more Mat and go back inside the door and apply a couple of layers to compensate.

photos soon...
Old 04-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #219
derickveliz2

Here is the OEM deadening material that I didn't wanted to remove

a little bit more Mat over the OEM deadening material

1/4 CCF in place -The carpet tells a story that I found helpfull, it actually comes reinforced in some sections with foam and other materials that tells you where are the noisy areas in our cars.
I wish I had a picture, I'll try to take one for the pilot's side.-

Applying MLV and gluing horizontal and vertical elements

Carpet back in place -

Center console back in place making sure it fits and I see I can add more Foam and Vinyl inside going over the other side, covering about 95% with MLV, This is going to be good.
I kind of hate to hear the transmission as I shift gears. I also made a couple of 6"x8" rectangles of MLV covered with 1/8 CCF on both sides and slide them under the bracket of the stick and gear mechanism.

This is the DashMat, I didn't installed, I just lay it down so it can break in and match the shape of the dashboard.
I had to show this photo in black & white the DashMat shows as a soft Purple color in every shot. LOL

Lunch time!!! I'll see if I can get more Mat and CCF under plastic panels.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #220
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Where did you get that dash mat?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #221
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
Where did you get that dash mat?
I got it from Global Accessories,

Great costumer service, and I was a pain, I asked for samples more than 3 times! and I even got a free yard of the material, because I want to cover the pillars as well, I like the idea of "sound absorbing materials" near the windshield, thinking of sticking 1/8 CCF under.

It looks much better in real life, and kind of makes me feel cozy at the steering wheel.

We'll see what my lovely wife has to say!!!

D.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #222
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Before I was somewhat considering a dash mat... because it'll help keep that wierd gas that leaches out of the plastic from making that white cloudy mess on the windshield, PLUS it'd help absorb noises for better sounding speakers.... BUT now that you said it also helps with the sound of rain hitting the windshield... oh man... i'm really considering it now.

Goal... Get married, Get new job, pay off CC debt,Get dash mat & Start the equipment phase of my install (already have most of the deadening done).

getting maried in like 40 days... and hopefully I should have a job offer in about 3 weeks (process has been going for nearly 5 months already, almost done).
Old 04-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #223
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
Before I was somewhat considering a dash mat... because it'll help keep that wierd gas that leaches out of the plastic from making that white cloudy mess on the windshield, PLUS it'd help absorb noises for better sounding speakers.... BUT now that you said it also helps with the sound of rain hitting the windshield... oh man... i'm really considering it now.

Goal... Get married, Get new job, pay off CC debt,Get dash mat & Start the equipment phase of my install (already have most of the deadening done).

getting maried in like 40 days... and hopefully I should have a job offer in about 3 weeks (process has been going for nearly 5 months already, almost done).
Yeah the dash mat is good! Congratulations 40 days! and crossing fingers for your new job.

I have until July to finish my project, because my daughter will be born and I bet I'm going to be very busy.

D.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #224
derickveliz2

Wink

Yesterday I did most of the panels of the dash board (Mat + CCF) they look very ugly but who cares, we never see the back side anyway.

Last night...

Ok this time I wasn't going to let me be lazy, I had to remove the OEM deadening material, specially in this area (on the floor behind passengers side), TOYOTA Engineers are telling us where is the noise coming from! Just look at that peace of FOAM, almost 2 inches thick... when I say this I new I had to do it right! Also this section flexes a lot, just push with your hand and you'll see it moving! so here are the pictures...

Here is the OEM deadening material that rests under the 2 inches of foam.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #225
derickveliz2

PAINFUL PROCESS

Almost there...

Cleaning it up...

This hole goes straight to the road!...

And mine is less than 5 inches from the road!...

Old 04-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #226
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
PAINFUL PROCESS

Almost there...

Cleaning it up...

This hole goes straight to the road!...

And mine is less than 5 inches from the road!...

yep, thats the one place I went 3 layers thick with the mat.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #227
derickveliz2

talnlnky...You did good! that area feels like so wimpy.

I'm out of Mat, but I started applying CLD Tiles, For now I'm going to leave it like that, and go ahead and work with CCF and MLV on top.

Here are the pictures with CLD Tiles ...

Old 04-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #228
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
You're an artist!!
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #229
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Based upon those and the previous pic's I can hardly wait to get started on the front floor area!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #230
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
You're an artist!!
Thank you,

and it's nice to have Yaris Wold as an inspiration!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #231
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
I can hardly wait to get started on the front floor area!
Go for it!

D.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #232
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Go for it!
D.
Yesterday I received my newest order for some more RAAMmat BXTII and another 9 sq ft. of Ensolite. I think I'm good with the mat, and I'll need to be selective on where I put the Ensolite. I have made virtually zero progress on my car this week, just too hectic. Unlike you (Mr. Vampire!) I need my sleep!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #233
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Yesterday I received my newest order for some more RAAMmat BXTII and another 9 sq ft. of Ensolite. Unlike you (Mr. Vampire!) I need my sleep!
Here Mr. Vampire...needs some sleep! Last night my poor little kid had a small accident on his car seat (not in the Yaris, the other car) if you know what I mean, and I took the seat apart to clean it, and I had to come very early to the office this morning, I feel sleepy Zzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm getting more material next week, at lunch I was trying to install Penguin Garage rear hub 10mm spacers and I couldn't take the drum off , I'll try at home using the bolts that hold the hood to take it out, so I can install my new shoes!

D.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #234
derickveliz2

Sqcomp it's turning my project into this... LINK4video

I'm Drooling