Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2011, 02:36 AM   #937
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Quick, vague question. Just an opinion. going between a kenwood 2 channel amp or Pioneer both 60 watt . Think a pioneer would work better with the Pioneer HU I just bought or would it make any difference...I'm thinking sound quality wise is all.
Like SQcomp mentions above, no difference.

In that case I think the good sound will come from a proper installation, more than what amp to use.

D.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:42 AM   #938
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
^ Not at all between those brands.

D,

Here's what the passenger's kick looks like under the stock panel:

Here's the same area with the wiring bundle relocated:

Whoa! Tons of room for a speaker!

So you think its better to vent on the vertical panel than going down the floor...?

D.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #939
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
LOL, thanks guys. And very diplomatic too! Its gonna be a budget system for sure. Just trying to maximize what I can with what money I have to spend on stuff. I was thinking of more the "sonic signature" some brand seem to display, clearity and such. But seriously, do you hear a big difference going to a higher end amp, I mean, that may be a loaded question, cause I know there is a big difference between, lets say my Denon receiver and a radio shack receiver, so ok I see that, but then there are alot of other components beside the amp section in a receiver that "color" the sound. And I also dont want to open up a can of worms for some of the folks who gave you shit in the past. So if youve used stuff in the bracket I'm talking about and when you moved up, what differences did you hear? I know going from one brand to another some times one seems brighter , one clearer, one more bass etc. Things I have often attributed to the preamp section quality and settings ,more than the amp itself. If its more comfortable, do it in a PM rather than here. I know both of you've been ambushed before,lol
By the way, where did you move that wiring bundle to? Is it tucked in behind the panel to the right or up above so it doesnt hang down? LOL, WTF did it go!

Last edited by sickpuppy1; 01-22-2011 at 07:28 AM.
sickpuppy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #940
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
The individual amplifiers differences in sound are a result of several conditions. The most important thing to consider is that a Watt is a Watt. You'll ask, well why does one amplifier sound different than another? I submit that it is a difference in the crossover section, power supply, output device construction, gain settings (including real headroom), and other various little components like op-amps that all add up to a difference in sound.

Oh and if someone does want to give me a hard time, I'll just move on and not really respond. Everyone knows where to get a hold of me anyway...PM.

The wire bundle? Note, there's one on the driver's side as well. It's relocated up into the dash area. Also note, when and if you decide to take off your passenger's side A-pillar, there's a molex there as well. I killed that one off all together. I was more than an un-needed piece of plastic. The whole connector only help one wire as I remember and it was to the antenna (I don't listen to the radio anyway). All I did was to remove the two ends from the connector and solder them together. Whoa! What an idea! :) It saved me a 1/2" of room so I could put my L4 mids in the A-pillar on that side.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #941
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
But seriously, do you hear a big difference going to a higher end amp,
In my case, I went from an old Class D Premier (Pioneer) amp to a new Class A/B Power Bass amp. Yes there is a difference. And I like it.

D.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #942
sickpuppy1

SQ, I was afraid we'd get some of the non constructive smart ass remarks like awhile ago and poof there goes a great source of learning for all of us. I hate it when it when you go poof! I'll keep and eye out for the wiring to when I start to put in some deadening. Source of rattles too. I'm not gonna go the super cheap route on deadening. I've read enough to know I'll end up with raamat, or some of the goodies from SDS (Dan). Interesting stuff over at second skin too. I'm intrigued by the Spectrum...any opinions on that? Havent talked with anyone who's used it yet.
Oh and Derick, I made sure the amp I'm getting is A/B also. Even at my price bracket I knew I wanted to go that route. Not that there arent good sounding class D amps, I know there are, just seems like they are mostly in high watt sub area's

Last edited by sickpuppy1; 01-23-2011 at 01:16 AM.
sickpuppy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #943
derickveliz2

To me there are 2 ways of deadening a car, one is oriented to improve the sound like in a sound studio (less rattles, absorbing materials) in other words... acoustically better.

The second one is to reduce out side noise (road noise, engine noise, tire noise, passing vehicles and trucks) most of it is when your car is in motion!

A good balance makes your sound system and your ride a much pleasant experience!

Go for it!

D.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:26 AM   #944
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Don't worry about me. I know that most don't mean to mess with me more than just ribbing. Sometimes I get a little short as of late. It's an "artifact" of me coming back from Iraq.

Deadening...

There's a wide range of choices. I've used several different mats and foams in my experience. I'm satisfied with what I run now. Stinger Roadkill Expert and the Stinger Overkill...that overkill is AWESOME stuff! You should take a look at it personally. Notice I didn't say buy it! Any advice I might give would be my opinion. It's not scripture.

I'm using a version of the spectrum sludge in my kicks right now (Lizard Skin). That will change with the change in speakers for said kicks as well. I'll either be purchasing a pair of L6 SE's or L8 SE's soon. I'm going to be using a "special" coating for the kicks and the sub-woofer enclosure. ...If you guys could see me smiling right now...

What is your price bracket for the amps you're using?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #945
sickpuppy1

I ordered a little Pioneer gm3400t Saturday on line. Shortly after that I read your comment on possibly being able to get some brands at a really good price. Its the only amp I've ordered so far, but all I'm powering is a set of component speakers for the front end. They are rated at 50 watts per channel and I'll be getting 60, so I have a little head room. I will be getting a sub too, but in a little while....something in the 8-10 range probably as I want it to "fill in" the bottom and not thump my whole car. Plus I will travel with this car and want to save on trunk room
Old 01-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #946
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Check out the digital design 8's.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #947
sickpuppy1

Couldnt find pricing on them anywhere, but when to the website. Look very nice. I'll bet their out of my price range,lol. I definitely have champagne taste and a beer budget,lol
Old 01-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #948
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Which DD 8's? One of the guys at my shop has a pair of the 1508's in a vented enclosure and OMGawd! That thing is LOUD! Yes, it runs off of 1200 Watts, but it's also dialed down 11 dB at he source too. I'll try to get you guys a pic of the enclosure. It's one of the "bare SPL" MDF non-carpeted look types of enclosures. It was all custom fabbed though. Decent router work too.

I've heard stories of some using 4000 Watts for each 1508. I know that a loaded single DD1508 enclosure runs around $300. For what that factory enclosure gives, that price is worth every penny.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #949
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
I don't think Digital Designs allows there pricing online, they want you to go to a local dealer.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #950
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

As they should. It helps protect the brand. I know the shop I frequent sells DD.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:23 AM   #951
derickveliz2

Unhappy

Enjoying good sound, hopping to get better soon.

For now trying to install a garage door opener in a very low area, almost impossible, but I'm working on it, it's easier than taking the back seat off or building spheres!

But what kills me it's the Cold! -16F and feels like -34F

Old 01-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #952
sickpuppy1

Yuck! That would make me want to do......not much!
LOL, could be worse, you could be trying to put in deadener in the driveway today.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #953
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Here in Quebec...it feels like -44°F
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #954
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Can't say much...I'm in a moderate climate. I can empathize though. I used to live in Maine. eF that! I'll take the rain anyday over 6' snow drifts.