Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Eren_13

Drives: Yaris SR '12
Yaris SR Projector retrofit

Hey everyone.

Still pretty new here but I'm after some pointers for a project.

I've decided to retrofit projectors to my 2012 SR.

I'm going to use Morimoto Mini Bi-Xenon D2S projectors with my HID kit (all adapters I have) which I'm getting from The Retrofit Source in The US. They've been really helpful which is great but I do have a few questions:

I've noticed there are a couple of wires coming out of the projector itself, is this for the solenoid that controls the hi/lo beams? And if so how is that connected to the car? Has anyone fitted these projectors and what did you think of them?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Eren.
Eren_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
mario98c

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 09 STD
Yes, the black and red cable are for the hi/lo beams selenoid. They need to be connected to the relay harness that the Retrofit Source sells. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=14027
The Morimotos Mini D2S and the Mini H1 are great projectors! Much better that the ones that ebay sells. I think they worth every penny!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Eren_13

Thanks for the reply. I've been recommended the plug and play bi-xenon upgrade kit from TRS. Does that come with the harness I need? And is anything in the kit connected to the battery at all?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Eren_13

OK, spoken to TRS again and I have everything I need now. Just paid for my kit so now I wait! If anyone is interested I will post up progress photos as I don't seem to be able to find any Yaris SR hatchback retrofits on here.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Eren_13

Hey guys can I ask a favour? I've found a DIY guide to removing the front bumper for my SR but is there a guide of removing the headlight itself or is it easier than I'm thinking once the bumper is off?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eren_13 View Post
Hey guys can I ask a favour? I've found a DIY guide to removing the front bumper for my SR but is there a guide of removing the headlight itself or is it easier than I'm thinking once the bumper is off?

Thanks
Once the bumper is off, there are three screws on each headlight.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Eren_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Once the bumper is off, there are three screws on each headlight.
Sweet. So taking the bumper off is more work than removing the headlight by the sounds of it! Thank you for the reply. Waiting on my bits from TRS now. I'm in the UK so hopefully won't be too long.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
good choice on the morimotos! i have done 2 of the retrofits on both a echo and a wrx. they are well worth the extra money! pm me if you need any help.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Eren_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru Steve View Post
good choice on the morimotos! i have done 2 of the retrofits on both a echo and a wrx. they are well worth the extra money! pm me if you need any help.
Thank you, much appreciated. Still waiting on delivery. They do look pretty good, I did tons of research before I went and ordered these. Looking forward to getting started. Anyone else get that feeling of 'I just want it now so I can get on with it' when there's a pretty big project up ahead? I got that now. Also, I'll be fighting this crappy British weather when I eventually begin.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #10
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

whats worse is when you have a huge project and know you have to wait over a year till you can actually start it... :(
Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Eren_13

Oh man, I bet. I get super impatient, like now, I've already thought through what I have to do about a million times! Take it yours is a pretty big one to wait a whole year?!

Had an update: my bits from TRS are in sunny Florida on their way to meee! :D
Old 02-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
I have been super satisfied with my Morimotos and they are pretty simple and quick to install. I'm impatient like you and I think it look me less than half a day to get them installed. (Plus another half day three weeks later to reseal my passenger headlight after it leaked during a heavy rain, whoops.)
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
Eren_13

Oops, hopefully I'll be ok resealing. As the headlights are still very new I'm hoping to just reuse the original sealant, assuming I don't lose too much when taking them off. How did you go about aligning the projectors once they were fit? May sound like a silly question but will the projectors only go in one way up or was there some tweaking to have a perfect straight line cut off?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

you can reuse the old sealant if you wish, just make sure you put it back in the part of the headlight it came from. to align the projectors i installed them in the car without the lens so i could adjust. then remove tighten the nut on the back, check alignment again. then put some epoxy back there so the projector never spins. place in oven and reseal then your done!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
Eren_13

Thank again. I'll do just that. You have any preference to what epoxy to use? I have seen that the projectors look as thought they will tighten up pretty well but the last thing I want to be doing is taking apart the headlights if they start to move.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
Gideon
★weeaboo★

To echo what Steve said I did the same to align them. Parked the car in front of a flat surface with the headlights installed and no lenses and did some tweaking. I went with a full kit so it had adapter plates that go into the headlight housing which resulted in very minimal tweaking.

This was without any tweaking after installing the driver's side:

Steve is more experienced so I'd listen to him if he has a different recommendation but I just used a healthy amount of Loctite to around the nut and threads. I have a pretty stiff suspension and there's crappy roads where I live so my car gets bounced around but they have stayed tight FWIW.

Regarding resealing my issue was that my passenger headlight was the first to be baked in the oven to loosen the sealant and because I was nervous about melting the headlight I kept removing the headlight and trying to separate the lens from the housing over and over so the sealant was getting pulled around a lot and in the end when I resealed that headlight it was unevenly distributed and I didn't get a good seal on one part. Driver side I waited and wasn't impatient and it resealed perfectly.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #17
Eren_13

Thanks for the reply Gideon. Hearing that it didn't take much tweaking makes me feel slightly better. I believe I have the adaptor plates with my kit also. I got the bi-xenon upgrade kit, fingers crossed they'll be there. Sounds like I'll have to get myself something to keep them projectors safe and still though. May have some time to get something as my parcel is floating around customs according to USPS tracking..
Old 02-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
Gideon
★weeaboo★

You're welcome!

That's what I had gotten too, though I went with the bixenon H1s instead of the DS2s since I didn't have any existing HID equipment already.

Out of curiosity what shrouds did you get for your projectors?

Tags
hid, projector, retrofit, yaris sr