Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Windows Vista

hey guys just wondering if i should get vista!!?? I wanted to format my comp and its good timing to, cuz windows vista just came out!!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...s/default.mspx

There are 4 versions

>Home Basic
>Home Premium
>Office
>Ultimate

I recon im gonna get Home Premium which is $180AUD of ebay and ITS THE FULL VERSION!!! local providers are selling the UPGRADE HOME BASIC FOR $170!!! WHAT A RIPOFF!!

so any of you guys have vista yet? what are you thaughts about it!??
Old 01-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I messed around with a "preview" full ultimate version for a while, it is niiiiiiice... Expensive though, but you get all the eye candy and new features. And you need a damn high spec PC.

The home basic/premium would basically be along the same visual lines as XP, but with more functions, yadda yadda. Maybe not really worth the money.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
It generally makes more sense to get a new computer with the new operating system.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
I've been running vista (ultimate) on my laptop for about a month now (perks of being m$ parnter :-D) the laptops a new one... so it handles it pretty well

On my desktop (1.7ghz, 2gig ram, 9700 pro, couple harddrives, 2 dvd-burners) it runs vista better then the new laptop... as its all about the video card

I just installed (last night) on my friends laptop (3yrs oldish) and it runs fine, the only (2ghz, 512mb) and it runs fine

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
I say nay... I will wait for the SP1 release (according to M$ about 6months) and change my hardware if I do it. My desktop was in the upper midrange 4years ago. Right now it does everything it has to, so it will be tough to for myself to upgrade it and spend the money on a new MOBO, CPU, and VidCar (probably Mem since my sytem's memory is only DDR and most new chipsets run DDR2).

What I can't wait is for the Leopard Release... All the MacOSx goodies runing natively, not emulated in the x86 platform!
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
vista is a cheap attempt to follow the mac os x footsteps.

sorry, my mac fanboy attitude is showing.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
There is no point in switching to Vista on a computer that can't handle Vista's candy-like AERO GUI. You aren't getting some revolutionary new file system or anything. Without the AERO GUI Vista is pretty much a beefed-up XP.

Windows Vista Premium Hardware Requirements
a 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte of system memory
a DirectX 9 compatible graphics processor, with a Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) driver, and a minimum of 128 MB of Video RAM
40 GB hard drive with 15 GB free space
DVD-ROM Drive
audio output and Internet access

If you want a more detailed explination of what the AERO GUI is, go here:
http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=114694

I have everything I am going to need to install Vista when the time comes, but I am waiting. With new IBM-based OS's, the first two months are always going to contain some serious security faults. The fact that it has been pushed back this far only makes me worry about it more. I am pretty excited to see it, though.

... But damn is that x64 beta sitting in my desk drawer tempting!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #8
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
I ve got everything I need with XP at the moment,but when the SP1 comes out,I might buy a new PC,and sell my old PC,thats a custom built by me dell 4550,I did all the modding,added 4 fans in all the right places for are flow,I had to dremel several holes in the case.I have an X800 ATI 256mb agp,3.2ghz hyper threading,2 120gig HD's,1gig DDR 400mhz ram,anyway I live in a house with 3 laptops and 2 pc's,so these will be upgraded all after the SP1,but I will buy a new pc to get PCI-E support,plus I want SATA HD support.
I did use RC1 Windows Vista for about a week,I guess I liked the new features,but it still lacked full support for hardware and software,so I had to throw in the Xp harddrive in to the laptop.But I must say it looked great,and it will have high def support,like the new WMP HD version.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote