Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Computer Wiz Kids plz help!! :) BOOYA!!!

Hey guys.....well b 4 i get Windows Vista Home Premium i want to upgrade my comp 1st. This is what i have...

>Gigabyte 845E Series motherboard. Socket 478
>GeForce 4600 PCI - E
>Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHZ
>516 DDR Ram

That might cover the main components. But i want to upgrade it to a

>Some gigabyte motherboard socket 775
>Some geforce card
>Processor that is 3GHZ or more

bleh, i dont know alot computer hardware, just the basics. If anyone would like to direct me on a reasonable upgrade. Hence im not a hardcore gamer so i wont be playing Unreal Tournament 2007 or any high gfx accelerated games.

The word around the comp world is that no one likes pentium no more ? everyone is switchin to that other brand AMD Athlon???

thanks wiz kids :)
Old 01-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Hmm well there's really a lot of different options now...

The whole AMD/Intel fight is once again in the Intel camp, their new Core 2 Duo chips are blazing fast, not too expensive, and overlock like mad. Get a 6400, overclock it to 3GHz, and you can run more or less anything.

Motherboards are a dime a dozen, but better stick to a pretty well known brand like Asus, MSI, or gigabyte.

Video card, a mid-range geforce 7xxx series should do the job, I'm really not sure what's good value at the moment.

Check out www.auspcmarket.com.au , seems to be the best for aussie computer parts

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:43 AM   #3
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
definitely get more RAM. 2gb would be sufficient.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:12 AM   #4
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
I'm not much of a computer guy but I recently read some very scary stuff about windows Vista.

It might not matter to everyone, but if its even partly true its messed up.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html
Old 01-28-2007, 02:14 AM   #5
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
Check this out, you'll find a ton of info on what you need.
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:33 AM   #6
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
Ive always liked intel,I just think since they have the most money,they wll have better quility,and R&D.I think amd still dosent build a permenant heat sink on the chip,intel always has.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #7
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
AMD is losing ground right now, so avoid it for now.

Like etimago stated, the C2D chips from Intel are the best performers right now. Pair that with 2GB of ram with tight timings, and a 7800GT or 7600GS, or 7600GT for that matter, and you have a good system for Vista.

I've been a supporter of AMD since the K6 debut back in the late 90s, but the recent architecture is not strong enough to match the performance of Intel's C2D.

eco, Intel's P4 chips run at higher tempatures than AMD's x64 line of chips. The heat issue with AMD chips has been addressed a long time ago, and it is a reason why the S939 chips performed much better than similar P4 chips from Intel.

But Intel C2D turned that around pretty damn fast, and made AM2 look like a wasted project.

Bottom line, Intel C2D is your best bet for a Vista proof system for now, with room to boot.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I live by AMD chips, and they didn't get me on performance. Pricing, pricing, pricing...

TIGERDIRECT.COM: link
INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.13 Ghz: $225.99
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ 2.0 Ghz: $144.99

INTEL CORE 2 EXTREME 2.66 Ghz: $999.99
AMD ATHLON 64 FX-60 2.6 Ghz: $399.99

I'd forget about your 3 Ghz number hasher, because these companies are officially off the speed bandwagon and on the multiprocessing bandwagon, and you're going to pay a mint for a 3 Ghz chip with all the bells and whistles. If I were you...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...262&CatId=2328

2 MB cache and 2000 Mhz FSB... that shit is going to fly, and you're 64 bit ready.

As far as a motherboard, it all depends on what you're doing with your computer. I use mine as a home office type of workstation, mostly for writing papers and keeping up with good old YW.com... so I picked up an Asus board with built in sound and graphics to save me some money. It even had HDMI out built in, which I thought was weird. I think all in all I spend $250 on my motherboard and processor... dual core, 64 bit, 250 bucks. Do that with an Intel chip.

2 GB of ram is a lot too, unless you're hard on your computer... especially with all the high-speed DDR you see anymore. I think a gig of PC6400 is more than sufficient.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #9
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
2 GB of ram is a lot too, unless you're hard on your computer... especially with all the high-speed DDR you see anymore. I think a gig of PC6400 is more than sufficient.
i've been running vista for the past month since we got the volume license release thru my company. 1gb would be pushing it. 2gb is good. trust me.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
twixt

Drives: 07 LB,04&06 ninja 636
Send a message via AIM to twixt
I just built 5 new desktops for my company, after much research the core 2's are freaking sweet. they run fast as hell and im ridiculously jealous. bottom line go core 2 with 2 gigs of ram. ps, vista blows.
twixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #11
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

THanks guys im sure to look into those links and be prepared to upgrade my comp.

Though dont think i can afford Duel Core Duo Processors. I think i maybe upgrade the brands that i already have. Stickin with Intel P, geforce and gigabye. Might have to buy more ram too......though depends on the motherboard right if its DDR or DDR2?

Anyway with vista i want vista cuz i want to stream videos of my xbox360!! :)

weeeeee

thanks peeps!!! im sure this thread might help some newbies out there wit comp probs....
Old 01-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #12
tmyers82

Drives: Toyota Yaris Hatchback
I have been running Vista Ultimate since June and have had no problems with my amd processor. It really comes down to your price range. I have been building computers for years and have found it cheaper to build amd systems with very similar results. For good deals check zipzoomfly.com, newegg.com, and geeks.com
tmyers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:15 PM   #13
twixt

Drives: 07 LB,04&06 ninja 636
Send a message via AIM to twixt
dude get the slowest core 2 you can, trust me its worth it. plus 6 months from now you can just throw the latest core 2 in there. TRUST ME work some overtime and put an extra 50 to go core 2.
twixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:19 AM   #14
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixt View Post
dude get the slowest core 2 you can, trust me its worth it. plus 6 months from now you can just throw the latest core 2 in there. TRUST ME work some overtime and put an extra 50 to go core 2.
Ok well after some research (approx 4 hours of it) i came to the conclusion that Intel Core 2 Processors are too expensive for me.

The next choice for me is the Intel Pentium D Dual Core 3 GHz Processor LGA 775. This a good processor or what?......

thanks guys. Im lookin for a Socket 775 motherboard that accepts intel duel processors and with 4 PCI Slots. Anyone know a motherboard with that capability??

becuz my motherboard now accept pentium 4 processors socket 478, has 5PCI slots.
thanks peeps!!

Thanks Etimago for the link!!!!! They are local to me and i think im gonna visit them this weekend!!! what will i do without my french yaris buddy???!!! :) :) :)

Last edited by hasher22; 01-30-2007 at 05:30 AM.
hasher22 is offline   Reply With Quote