Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2007, 02:06 AM   #1
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
Clay Bars

I just did some searching on this site and the internet about clay bars because I have some nasty swirling where I had debadged my Yaris.

I'm wondering, what's the best/most inexpensive clay bar out there and where would I get one?
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Clay bars are great for safely removing things *on top* of the paint surface (e.g. overspray, dropping residues, diesel stains etc), but for swirling you'd normally want to be looking at a polishing compound.

For heavy swirling I normally use a product like Meguiars ScratchX which has diminishing abrasives that will safely remove the swirls without cutting all the way through the clear coat layer. If the swirls are light, you can normally hide them pretty well with a good synthetic wax.
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
RogueYaris

It says you can use that ScratchX with a polisher or by hand. You think my arm would fall off or should I get a polisher?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
I wouldn't normally recommend using ScratchX to do large areas/panels, as its deminishing abrasives will deminish right near the start of the panel, so there'll be little rouge left by the time you get to the rest of the panel.

It's cutting power breaks down *really* fast, which is one of the things that makes it safe.

So pretty much I'd only recommend for spot jobs. If you have swirling covering large areas I'd normally recommend starting off with a chemical paint cleaner like Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, which will get rid of finer swirls 100% safely, and if the doesn't do it, go into a mild professional grade cutting compund - the latter is probably best done by a pro though.
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:20 AM   #5
RogueYaris

When the weather gets a bit nicer and it stops freakin' snowing all the time, I'll go out with some marker tape and tape off the area to show you guys. Until then, it's just a matter of collecting info.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueYaris View Post
I just did some searching on this site and the internet about clay bars because I have some nasty swirling where I had debadged my Yaris.

I'm wondering, what's the best/most inexpensive clay bar out there and where would I get one?
I've had great results with a clay kit bmy Mother's brand products. The bar is yellow and it comes with a spray....the difference in paint feel with from slightly gritty to silky slippery smooth after just one application...and this is before I waxed! The cost is around $14 for the kit.
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
so you want to keep your exterior clean and shine you have to follow these step?

Wash, Clean, Polish, Clay, Wax, Detail? Did i missing something? man that is very hard to keep your car clean. Sometime i really getting very tired to keep my car clean.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #8
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
so you want to keep your exterior clean and shine you have to follow these step?

Wash, Clean, Polish, Clay, Wax, Detail? Did i missing something? man that is very hard to keep your car clean. Sometime i really getting very tired to keep my car clean.
Wash,
Clean the paint IF REQUIRED.
Polish the paint IF REQUIRED.
Wax the paint IF REQUIRED.
Clay the paint IF REQUIED, but do FIRST after washing, NOT after waxing.

This is really simple....the number of steps one does depends upon how dirty the paint is....most people do all the steps too often...it makes them happy, and it makes the makers of the products especially happy too (more $$ for them)....the benefits are often all in their heads...don't get sucked into this dillusion....just do the steps as required and no more. Save your money! lol
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote