Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
d3310n

Drives: black titty
planning a super cheap baby turbo. how barebones can i go?

im talking super wallet friendly, ultra simple no intercooler, baby boost. whats the bare minimum i can do? just going to keep the motor stock, what turbo would be the most cost effective for my little idea? maybe a bov if i really need it. i can tune it at school.

any input?
d3310n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
cheapest way would be zage

imo
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
d3310n

ok, how much power could i make with just that kit?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Plenty of info here about the zage. Just do a search on it, but in all honesty you would be stupid to not use an intercooler. Without one you are probably looking at only 4 psi of boost and with the investment it would be a waste of money. You might wanna look at going with a used SC setup instead.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
http://shop.microimageonline.com/ZAG...S-Zage-tky.htm

Ask any questions you like. No matter how you boost your car, you're going to have to tune it. FIC hardwired is cheapest, with the Boomslang plug 'n play is easiest.

I strongly recommend at least boost and air/fuel gauges to go with this kit.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
"custom turbo" and "wallet friendly" don't seem to go together.

I would say to ask what people have spent on their setups first. I would assume it would be in the $4-5K range on the low side given proper dyno tuning and all the hardware involved. realize that you are going to have to have some sort of engine management with any turbo. all these pieces cost and it all adds up.

if you can find a used supercharger kit, it may serve your purpose but those tend to get snached up quickly.

I know the supercharger kits with all the other boltons puts you around 120-135hp at the tires. the turbo kit (with 8-9 psi) is somewhere around 180hp at the tires.

how much money do you have to play with? this may be well within your reach or shooting for the moon depending on your budget.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:12 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I would assume it would be in the $4-5K range on the low side given proper dyno tuning and all the hardware involved. realize that you are going to have to have some sort of engine management with any turbo. all these pieces cost and it all adds up.
Zage kit $1649
FIC/Harness $850
Tuning $300-500

Total without extra goodies: about $3k
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
d3310n

i can tune it for free :D haha we got a dyno at the shop
Old 11-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
OP is saying they do not want to go with an intercooler so really they wouldn't even need fuel management I would think because you are talking only 3-4 psi of boost max which then gets back to my point that it really wouldn't be cost effective.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
so really they wouldn't even need fuel management I would think
Yes you would. Even the supercharger kit comes with fuel management.

Here is your first deal towards the project:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...534#post719534
Old 11-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I've got the Blitz on my car, I bought the F/IC that Garm posted, lol. I've been running my blitz for 13k miles without fuel management. It's not ideal (thus why I bought that F/IC) but it works fine. I had a short ram intake so I put some injectors from a Celica on it and it works fine. It runs really rich at idle, but when you're not idling it stays at 14.7 or whatever its supposed to be and drops down lower in boost.

The Blitz kit is expensive new (but worth it IMO) but occasionally you can find them for $1500 or so on here used.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
I've got the Blitz on my car, I bought the F/IC that Garm posted, lol. I've been running my blitz for 13k miles without fuel management. It's not ideal (thus why I bought that F/IC) but it works fine. I had a short ram intake so I put some injectors from a Celica on it and it works fine. It runs really rich at idle, but when you're not idling it stays at 14.7 or whatever its supposed to be and drops down lower in boost.

The Blitz kit is expensive new (but worth it IMO) but occasionally you can find them for $1500 or so on here used.
If you have the little blitz fuel controller installed (the little black box with the cockpit knob that lets you set the throttle level where the SC kicks in), then you have fuel management. That little box got wired to the injectors and adds more fuel per its built in map.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
47_MasoN_47

Ah ok. Do I need to remove that when I put the F/IC in or do they work together?

Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
Old 11-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
Ah ok. Do I need to remove that when I put the F/IC in or do they work together?
You can go either way. If you removed it though you would lose the ability to switch the Blitz on and off.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
47_MasoN_47

Alright. I like being able to turn it off, so I'll probably keep it in there.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
JohninVT

Drives: 2008 liftback
I picked up a used Zage kit, AEM FIC and Boomslang for 1200 bucks. You're far better off going that route...even if you end up replacing the turbo.

IMHO, you'd be making a mistake installing a turbo without fuel management and an intercooler. Especially in Florida where the summer heat is extreme.

I've been running 10psi for a couple months. Once you're boosted to that level, the temptation to humiliate WRX's and Mustang GT's becomes too great. You WILL do long, full throttle pulls in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. You WILL need the intercooler and management.

In fact, you might as well budget a set of rods while you're at it since that's all that keeps you from making serious HP. Just my .02.

PS-the Yaris is an aging model and a lot of the people who used to mod them have moved to other interests. You'd be surprised what you can pick up used at very reasonable prices.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ so true!
Old 12-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
with 10.5:1 compression, you do not want to cut corners being cheap.

the only way to make performance "cheap" is to already know what your doing & know where & how to spend your money.

cutting corners now WILL cost you more in the long run TRUST ME. I see it all the time. Even I'm guilty of that, as with the clutch in my track-day car. I've ended up spending twice as much as the now proper clutch I do have now trying to skimp by with cheapie ones.

if you cant do it right atm, then wait and save your money until you can do it right. the results will be much better & ultimately you will be happier.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote