Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
2012 Yaris: hand-crank window will not roll up all the way

My driver's side window (hand-crank) will not roll up all the way. It stops about 1/5" lower than the passenger side window. I get a lot of wind noise and the glass even rattles when hitting bumps. It often slides down a bit farther when "just driving along." I roll it back up and it just slides back down after 20-30 miles. I can even push on the glass to create a gap between the weatherstripping and the glass.

I brought it into the dealer and they couldn't really figure out what was wrong. They put in a new window regulator but that didn't fix the problem. They said they can't adjust the regular to make it roll up any farther. They've order new weatherstripping/molding, and I'll have that installed next week. If that doesn't work, what are my options? Starting to get frustrated.

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
My driver's side window (hand-crank) will not roll up all the way. It stops about 1/5" lower than the passenger side window. I get a lot of wind noise and the glass even rattles when hitting bumps. It often slides down a bit farther when "just driving along." I roll it back up and it just slides back down after 20-30 miles. I can even push on the glass to create a gap between the weatherstripping and the glass.

I brought it into the dealer and they couldn't really figure out what was wrong. They put in a new window regulator but that didn't fix the problem. They said they can't adjust the regular to make it roll up any farther. They've order new weatherstripping/molding, and I'll have that installed next week. If that doesn't work, what are my options? Starting to get frustrated.

They must make you whole. You are under warranty. It is not like trying to figure out why something under the hood is acting the way it is, and it is the current generation of the car. Worst case (if they can't figure it out any other way) they could put a Yaris virtually identical to yours (with a working hand crank window on the same side) next to yours, pop off the door panel on each car, and see what is different.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
I don't get why dealers go all around the world to frustrate ppl. Why don't they change the whole damn door and all components, paint and make the customer whole as nookandcranny said. Geez. Or give you a new car.
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
If that doesn't work, what are my options? Starting to get frustrated.

It's their problem, not yours.
Keep bringing it in until its fixed.
Get a rental car, from now on.
If not fixed after the third try, call Toyota Consumer Affairs, threaten a lemon law buyback.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely Red 12 View Post
It's their problem, not yours.
Keep bringing it in until its fixed.
Get a rental car, from now on.
If not fixed after the third try, call Toyota Consumer Affairs, threaten a lemon law buyback.
^^^^^ Exactly. I just read the lemon law related statutes for Virginia. I'm not an attorney, but I don't think they'd want to go in front of a judge to try to wiggle out of it. Almost every time I've followed the 'keep bringing it back' action that AR 12 suggests (whether it be re a car or something else) the establishment has taken care of the situation because they are tired of my coming back/tired of seeing me.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Sorry, but reading this, you all are going way too extreme. It's going to end up being a simple fix. No judge or court in their right mind would let this fall under lemon law.

Catastrophic failure? No.
Car will be kept at dealer for extended period of time? No
Minor inconvenience caused by possibly mis-adjusted window track or window sash? Yes.

They will fix the problem and you will move on.

I lol'd @ciscobear's response "give you a whole new door and all that's included......
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
Sorry, but reading this, you all are going way too extreme. It's going to end up being a simple fix. No judge or court in their right mind would let this fall under lemon law.

Catastrophic failure? No.
Car will be kept at dealer for extended period of time? No
Minor inconvenience caused by possibly mis-adjusted window track or window sash? Yes.

They will fix the problem and you will move on.

I lol'd @ciscobear's response "give you a whole new door and all that's included......
It may be that simple, but if so, why are they having as much trouble as they are fixing it? I think the lemon issue would hinge on if that gap would let in a significant amount of water (via rain most significantly, but also re washing). Old sayings are often old sayings re they truth they contain.....'The squeaky wheel gets the grease'. I agree with ciscobear's sentiment, but they would never agree to replace the door (re cost and (reasonably) considering that solution overkill) and it likely would pale as a solution (to some) re trying to exactly match paint that isn't new. I may have a cynical/'Katie, bar the doors' attitude toward some things, but it has largely kept me from being taken advantage of. For the OP, YMMV (or pehaps more accurately HMMV)...but I'm sure having all of our info can be helpful to the OP.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
matti

Everyone, thanks for your feedback. I'll just keep nagging at them to get this fixed, one way or another.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
matti

Update: I had the window trim/molding replaced yesterday and, while the window "feels" tighter when rolling up, the wind noise is now worse than it was before. Before I had this molding replaced, I a bit of water on the inside of the window from rain (this happened only once). I can roll the window up all the way and, after 20-30 minutes of driving, I can see that the glass has slid down a tiny bit. Also, when I look at the top corner of the glass from the inside (when the window is rolled up all the way), I can actually see a gap at the top of the glass. It's almost like the piece of glass isn't tall enough or something like that?

I'm going on vacation next week and I'm going to suggest that the dealership keep my car for a week to see what they can do. New molding/trim didn't fix it. A new window regulator didn't fix it. What else can I have them look at? The service guy said the trim should fix it, but it didn't work. They've been professional and courteous, but I feel close to calling Toyota to ask for their help.

Any advice? This isn't a HUGE problem by any stretch, but this is a new car and there is a defect somewhere.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
If wosrt comes to worst and they dont fix it, you could put one of those rain shades on the door that lets you drive with a cracked window in the rain.

Yeah the dealer has to make you happy no doubt about it.

Case of beer? Lap dance?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
matti

lol, a case of beer would be a good start!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

If it makes you feel any better, I was parked next to a Hyundai Genesis (a 2010 I think....it only came to the U.S. in 2009) in the parking lot at the Kroger closest to my house the other day, and I was shaking my head. The rubber door seal was coming off and sticking way out above the crevice between the closed passenger door and the body of the car. Also, the factory alloy wheels have an insert with an 'insignia' on it and the 'insignia' was almost completely worn off on the passenger front and back wheels (the only two I saw). Pretty sad after spending over 30k on the car. This is ONE of the reasons I like spending as little as possible on a car...things like that won't make me AS mad. One nice thing about the Yaris is that when I'm surprised, it's USUALLY a good surprise. If your service people keep cooperating, but still can't figure it out, go above them. Praise the staff. Tell the people at the 'next step' that the service people tried several things (and were courteous), but that it still isn't fixed and you require a correct repair.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I was parked next to a Hyundai Genesis (a 2010 I think....it only came to the U.S. in 2009) in the parking lot at the Kroger closest to my house the other day, and I was shaking my head. The rubber door seal was coming off and sticking way out above the crevice between the closed passenger door and the body of the car. Also, the factory alloy wheels have an insert with an 'insignia' on it and the 'insignia' was almost completely worn off on the passenger front and back wheels (the only two I saw). Pretty sad after spending over 30k on the car. This is ONE of the reasons I like spending as little as possible on a car...things like that won't make me AS mad. One nice thing about the Yaris is that when I'm surprised, it's USUALLY a good surprise. If your service people keep cooperating, but still can't figure it out, go above them. Praise the staff. Tell the people at the 'next step' that the service people tried several things (and were courteous), but that it still isn't fixed and you require a correct repair.
In Canada we have no lemon laws .. so we are stuck at the dealership level when there are problems. You guys are lucky in this regard.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
In Canada we have no lemon laws .. so we are stuck at the dealership level when there are problems. You guys are lucky in this regard.
Wow. I don't know anyone who has personally ever had to go to a lemon law level for resolution, but I think it is a valid ideal that I hope has helped a fair number of people where applicable in the U.S. Are many Canadian consumers frustrated by the absence of lemon laws, or are things usually resolved amicably at a dealer level? Does Toyota enjoy a good reputation in this regard, or is reputation based on area/location rather than by manufacturer?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Wow. I don't know anyone who has personally ever had to go to a lemon law level for resolution, but I think it is a valid ideal that I hope has helped a fair number of people where applicable in the U.S. Are many Canadian consumers frustrated by the absence of lemon laws, or are things usually resolved amicably at a dealer level? Does Toyota enjoy a good reputation in this regard, or is reputation based on area/location rather than by manufacturer?
My brother in law works for a local Toyota dealership and he has said "with the large volume we do not everyone is going to be happy with us". (referring to the service dept, as he is a former service manager and is now a higher up manager)

Personally I would welcome a lemon law here. I personally have found the service at the Toyota Dealer . . to be top notch. But it helps to have a manager as a relative internal in the business.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
My brother in law works for a local Toyota dealership and he has said "with the large volume we do not everyone is going to be happy with us". (referring to the service dept, as he is a former service manager and is now a higher up manager)

Personally I would welcome a lemon law here.
Wow. They don't think about losing the business to another dealer?...Or are there not enough dealers to make that an issue? That is one thing I really like about the Houston metro...competition. There is quite a bit of wealth here, but a higher percentage of people (than in some other metros...NYC, SF, San Jose most readily come to mind) have incomes low enough that necessity would drive a need for high value in most transactions. This allows those of us who don't have to out of necessity (but are cheap ) to pic and choose among the same values as those who need the value. I see the most competition among grocery stores, gas stations, car repair establishments, and car sales. I hear from people in San Antonio that HEB has such influence in the San Antonio grocery market that this has a negative effect on competition...they notice the difference on day trips to other metros (Austin, Houston, etc.). There is a law in Texas that regulates car dealerships re only being able to be open one day on the weekend. Several dealership groups in our metro own two stores representing the same manufacturer and one is closed on Saturday and the other on Sunday....they are that concerned re missing potential showroom traffic.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #17
matti

Everyone, thanks again for the feedback. I'm going on vacation tomorrow, so I won't be able to figure this problem out until after New Year's. Yesterday, I emailed the service manager who I've been dealing with that the latest "fix" didn't actually fix the problem. I thanked him for his professional and courteous service, and that I looked forward to talking to him about this after my vacation.