Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
dadmansfield

Drives: 2008 yaris hatchback
carpet wet passenger side

My wife is on the road with the Yaris and reported that there is water leaking on the passengers side under the glove box, I assume the waterheater, but haven't seen it yet, anyone had this problem?, 2008 but only about 11,000 miles thanks, ed mansfield
dadmansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
WATER HEATER???!!!! LOL
How about a clogged drain for the AC condensation drain. It has a small tube leading from the evaporator coil to the exterior and they can get clogged from time to time.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
2007tRD
CERTIFIED ASE/SUBARU TECH

Drives: 2007 VIOS S
If you are not smelling coolant,sickpuppy has your answer^
2007tRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Buckethead

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
My hero. This happened to me yesterday. GF pointed it out. No coolant, just water on the carpet and underneath glove compartment panel.

How costly is this to fix and should I go to the dealer to get it fixed?

Please advise.

Last edited by Buckethead; 08-15-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Buckethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Skylinecar1982

Drives: 2009 Yaris
I can't say exactly where it is on the car but I know the general location for most cars. If you get under the car near the fire wall you will see a rubber house coming out of the firewall and pointing down. This is the AC drain hose. Usually if something is clogged its in there you can clear it one of two ways. Either use a straightened cloths hanger and gently put it in the tube and wiggle around or you can use compressed air to clear the clog.

This is kind of common as the water leaving the ac system doesn't build up much pressure to get out of the car.

As far as how much a deal would cost?? I don't think I have ever seen anyone charged for clearing the clog. Usually people ask about it when they are getting an oil change and the car is up in the air already. As I said I have never seen anyone charged for this. I worked at dealers for 6 years.

P.S VERY IMPORTANT. I forgot to tell you that often when you clear the hose water will GUSH out. The amount of water that comes out will depend on how much water the system can hold before it overflows into the car(whats happening to you).

So try not to be directly underneath the hose.
Skylinecar1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
Buckethead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinecar1982 View Post
I can't say exactly where it is on the car but I know the general location for most cars. If you get under the car near the fire wall you will see a rubber house coming out of the firewall and pointing down. This is the AC drain hose. Usually if something is clogged its in there you can clear it one of two ways. Either use a straightened cloths hanger and gently put it in the tube and wiggle around or you can use compressed air to clear the clog.

This is kind of common as the water leaving the ac system doesn't build up much pressure to get out of the car.

As far as how much a deal would cost?? I don't think I have ever seen anyone charged for clearing the clog. Usually people ask about it when they are getting an oil change and the car is up in the air already. As I said I have never seen anyone charged for this. I worked at dealers for 6 years.

P.S VERY IMPORTANT. I forgot to tell you that often when you clear the hose water will GUSH out. The amount of water that comes out will depend on how much water the system can hold before it overflows into the car(whats happening to you).

So try not to be directly underneath the hose.

That's good to hear (about not getting charged), but it's Sunday and my dealership(s) are closed. I'll have to go tomorrow first thing.

I also found this thread

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...?t=6053&page=3
Old 08-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Check out this post, pics courtesy of guru CTScott:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=22

My buddy took his in, before we found this post, and they did charge him
something. They gave some excuse about leaves and/or a mouse getting
into the system. I don't recall what the charge was, but they did put in
an air filter in. His car was like mine, in that his 2007 never had a filter in
there. He nows says it impedes the flow of air. I've been to lazy to cut
up the filter I bought for the DIY, but might try it on my vacation this week.
Come to think of it, I'm not sure if they charged him labor to clear the water
or just for the filter.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Crank the fan up to high and close all the vents. The pressure buildup might clear the clog out without have to go under the car.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
Buckethead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Crank the fan up to high and close all the vents. The pressure buildup might clear the clog out without have to go under the car.
How will I know if it works?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
Buckethead

Okay, just came back from doing what you suggested, Bluevitz, and it may have worked. IDK, since I didn't actually drive it. I was stationary. I turned the fans on to high with the closed vents and there was no water leakage. The only moisture in the car was the damp floor mat and floor. I just sprayed some Febreeze to kill the mold odor.

I hope that does the trick. I won't actually know until I road test it to see if it's clear.

Last edited by Buckethead; 08-15-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead View Post
How will I know if it works?
HAHA, you won't have water leaking inside the car anymore.

You should see some water on the ground under the car near were your feet go on the passenger side.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #12
Buckethead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
HAHA, you won't have water leaking inside the car anymore.

You should see some water on the ground under the car near were your feet go on the passenger side.
Ah, so there will be water underneath the car. Don't think I saw any after doing the test. Then again, like I said, I didn't drive it out. I'll do it first thing in the morning.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
Buckethead

Okay, just went around the block for a mile or two, turned the fan up with closed vents, etc... I parked it, I didn't see any water underneath the car, but I did notice that there was almost no leakage inside the car. There was moisture and a couple of droplets, but not 100% gone.

Damn it, looks like I'll have to take it in. Thanks for the tip, though!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
Buckethead

My car is at the dealer, just got the call. They drained the water, cleared the hose, plugged it back in, etc....

Of course, as I was reading through previous posts, I remembered that Toyota had said this was a "design flaw" and that they would fix it if it was still in warranty. Of course, my warranty expired at 36,000 miles, so I'm out of warranty. Basically, this new part is about $332 +105 labor + tax = just under $500.

Fuck that. I'm not paying them.

Last edited by Buckethead; 08-16-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead View Post
My car is at the dealer, just got the call. They drained the water, cleared the hose, plugged it back in, etc....

Of course, as I was reading through previous posts, I remembered that Toyota had said this was a "design flaw" and that they would fix it if it was still in warranty. Of course, my warranty expired at 36,000 miles, so I'm out of warranty. Basically, this new part is about $332 +105 labor + tax = just under $500.

Fuck that. I'm not paying them.
Get a detailed quote, as there are two completely different issues. The first is the issue with 07 and some 08 evaporators, where there is a metal compatibility issue that causes the AC to smell. That one requires 6 hours of labor an a few hundred in parts. The second is the condensate drain getting plugged. Clearing that takes very little labor and no parts. There was a TSB for some 07s and possibly 08s where to help with the condensate drain plugging issue they replace the passenger side wiper cowling with one with smaller intake holes. The real solution though is using a cabin filter.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
Buckethead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Get a detailed quote, as there are two completely different issues. The first is the issue with 07 and some 08 evaporators, where there is a metal compatibility issue that causes the AC to smell. That one requires 6 hours of labor an a few hundred in parts. The second is the condensate drain getting plugged. Clearing that takes very little labor and no parts. There was a TSB for some 07s and possibly 08s where to help with the condensate drain plugging issue they replace the passenger side wiper cowling with one with smaller intake holes. The real solution though is using a cabin filter.
Yeah, he gave me a rundown. And basically said that if I didn't want to replace it I should be okay, but to be warned, that it may leak again at some point. I mean, it took 4 years (since I've had it) to leak, what's another four years right?

I never had a moldy smell, my AC works just fine, etc...

I don't have an extended warranty, so that's out of the question and a power train warranty doesn't cover this repair either.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #17
Buckethead

Just got back with the car. I was charged $99 for the labor of plugging, cleaning, etc... They also dried off the carpet and mat, etc...

I was given an itemized list of what was wrong with it, part #'s, etc...

I'll just go to a local mechanic since I have no warranty, it really doesn't matter if I stick with the dealer.

I'll post the info later on tonight. I forgot the invoice in the car.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:32 PM   #18
Buckethead

As promised, here's the Part # info.

Yaris Sedan: Previous Part Number 55708-52100.
Current Part Number 55708-52120

Part Name: Louver Sub-assembly, Cowl Top Ventilator

This is what they were charging me $334.35 + Labor to fix.

It's only covered under 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. If you have a 2007 or 2008 you're most likely screwed.

I'm going to shop around and see who can fix this for me for at least half. I'm not paying $500 for this nonsense.