Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
ds vs. psp

since this is the random/offtopic thread area i just wanna ask this question. Which of you has bought the ds and/or psp and why? I myself have a ds and have the R4 for it so i can play downloaded games and am going to have my friends white psp with 3.40 firmware (wish it was a lower firmware so i can play downloaded games) but it just makes me wonder who has which one and why did they choose that one over the other?

Lets see where this takes us haha
Old 06-09-2007, 01:37 AM   #2
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
xbox elite all the way!

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:42 AM   #3
ceres
Club Baby Seals

Drives: Yaris Sedan
DS. I got it when Children of Mana came out since Secret of Mana is one of my favourite games of all time. CoM was quite dissapointing though. Still, I've been enjoying Brain Age, New Super Mario Bros, Castlevania, Phoenix Wright, and even Pokemon.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:39 AM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I have a PSP, got it not long after they first came out, I don't think the DS was even available then

Even so, I rarely play it...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
I have a PSP, got it not long after they first came out, I don't think the DS was even available then

Even so, I rarely play it...
hehe You my friend have the upperhand with the first firmware =P go download games and play them LOL
Old 06-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
ceres
Club Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrsdrgn View Post
hehe You my friend have the upperhand with the first firmware =P go download games and play them LOL
As long as he doesn't upgrade. Not that the firmware upgrades stay unhackable for long. PSP = Playstation Piratable.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:55 PM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
yeah it's no longer a big deal, unless you get the latest latest firmware, to go back to 1.5 and work from there...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #8
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Just got a DS 2 weeks ago, and like it even more than I expected to. Nothing beats the touch screen for interactivity. PSP is overpriced, and wants to be a full console system with overly-complex, console-styled games. When I'm on the go, I don't want a game that requires that much engrossment, just something to pass the time.

~YR
Old 06-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
Sold PSP and got a DS
The screen on PSP give me headache. I rather play PS on a big scrreeen at least 20 inch and why you want to spend money to buy a movies and watch it on a PSP?
DS got more Brains game, which is i like the best. brain age, brain wave.....and Sudoku. Dual Screen Touch Screen more fun.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Puzzle Quest for the DS is awesome! It's an RPG that uses Bejeweled mechanics to do the combat... crazy, and addictive as crack.

More puzzle than RPG, but a great blend... I'm level 7 right now, so not very far into it, but I'm guessing the story won't be as deep and convoluted as, say, a Final Fantasy title.

~YR
Old 06-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #11
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
Got a PSP over an Ipod Nano for Christmas ...

- Use as an MP3 player (use it in the Yaris)
- has music visualization (software upgrade to aquire it)
- can play video games
- WiFi connection
- Can watch movies (saved me form boredom on those long car trips in the Yaris)

I love my PSP. the DS can't do much of that. My vote goes for the PSP.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #12
ceres
Club Baby Seals

The DS can actually be used as 4 of those 5 (though I'd really say 3 of 4 since music visualization is hardly a boastable aspect) with a little upgrading. However, it excels in #3 while the PSP really "shines" in the portable part of its name as way too many games are just ports of old games. It's nicknamed the Playstation Piratable because while it's a fact that hardware sales are good, the software sales are piss poor (for both games and UMD movies). Which suggests that many people use it as an NES, SNES, Genesis, etc emulator along with homebrew gaming or are "backing up" movies onto memory sticks.
And meanwhile, despite the new PSP games that are trying to take a chunk out of the DS's niche markets in development games such as Brain Age and other "oddball" (aka.. very japanese) titles, the lack of stylus generally make them worthless. Hell, an English Training "game" for the DS has outsold every PSP game in Japan. Oh yeah.. best selling PSP game in Japan last week? A port of Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (which I partially blame Square for since they've been in the upgrade and port old game frame of mind to make easy money since FF3 did so well on the DS. Hell... have to make it up somehow for the dismal sales they'll get for FF13 when it only shows up on the equally dismal selling PS3. Though I imagine Sony paid them a lot to keep it off the 360).

Anyway, PSP is great if you want something that does a lot of things halfassed. DS is great if you want something that is awesome for gaming. Just like the last thing I need is a cellphone that also happens to be a crappy camera and shitty mp3 player.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #13
Yaris Omega
Finsh the Fight

Drives: soon to be Yaris LB
Psp rules i say its better than ther ds but the xbox360 kicks ass all the way so psp is cool but the 360 is badass and dont hate on the psp cause you dont got one PEACE
Yaris Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #14
ceres
Club Baby Seals

Has nothing to do with not owning one and I've never understood that type of reasoning. If I wanted one, I would own one. The fact that I own a PC doesn't make me hate Windows any less. If anything, it only increases my agrivation everytime I have to reinstall Windows because of some kind of issue. And the fact that it's virtually impossible to find a PSP without 2-3 dead pixels out of the box only would cause me to get annoyed everytime I played it since I can't stand flaws like that. All of my past handhelds don't even have a single scratch on them despite being several years old.
I do want a 360 but I refuse to buy one until there's either 1) a price drop or 2) they fix the hardware issues where heat causes the motherboard to warp resulting in a red ring of death. Until the hardware issues are taken care of, there's no way I would buy one without an extended warranty. Until either happens, I'm perfectly content with my PC, PS2, & Wii for home gaming.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Quote:
Until either happens, I'm perfectly content with my PC, PS2, & Wii for home gaming.
holy shit ceres, how do you find the time to play all of those systems?

i think those new systems are totally amazing, but i dont' play video games anymore (the last game system i owned was a nintendo 64) because i wouldn't get any work done.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #16
ceres
Club Baby Seals

Honestly, all but the DS have been gathering dust lately and I've mostly just been playing Brain Age on that which only takes about 20 minutes a day. My boyfriend has been taking advantage of the Wii virtual console to play some classics like Super Castlevania IV & the Bonk titles. He'll be buying the PS3 because he's a square fanboy. He's actually been replaying the old Final Fantasy games on the PS2 as well.
Next week I'm picking up Resident Evil 4 for the Wii so I'll be getting back into that. It's a re-release of a game that came out for both the PS2 & Gamecube but it's been upgraded and will take advantage of the Wii-mote. At a price of $30, it's a worthwhile purchase.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #17
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceres View Post
Has nothing to do with not owning one and I've never understood that type of reasoning. If I wanted one, I would own one. The fact that I own a PC doesn't make me hate Windows any less. If anything, it only increases my agrivation everytime I have to reinstall Windows because of some kind of issue. And the fact that it's virtually impossible to find a PSP without 2-3 dead pixels out of the box only would cause me to get annoyed everytime I played it since I can't stand flaws like that. All of my past handhelds don't even have a single scratch on them despite being several years old.
I do want a 360 but I refuse to buy one until there's either 1) a price drop or 2) they fix the hardware issues where heat causes the motherboard to warp resulting in a red ring of death. Until the hardware issues are taken care of, there's no way I would buy one without an extended warranty. Until either happens, I'm perfectly content with my PC, PS2, & Wii for home gaming.
Wii and DS!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #18
Yaris Omega
Finsh the Fight

Drives: soon to be Yaris LB
Damn RE4 is coming out on the wii that is fuding cool now that will something worth playing on the wii and my psp hasent had any flows and thats that i bought when it just came out so havent had any problems wit it yet hope i dont PEACE
Yaris Omega is offline   Reply With Quote