Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
gia_LA

Drives: 2010 yaris (i hope)
Exclamation BEST PRICE advice needed

trying to purchase a brand new 2010 yaris in carmine red metallic and the dealership is only taking $700 off the sticker price. i don't know much about cars so i am not sure if this is good or bad. it's the 3 door liftback with the power package...any advice would be appreciated.
gia_LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
What's the sticker price? And how badly does the dealer want to get it off the lot?

Also helps if you go for it closer to the end of the month when they need to unload quicker to meet sales quotas (you'll get a better deal)

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
carmine red (maroon) is a nice color. sorry, but i have no idea about pricing on a new yaris.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
gia_LA

unfortunately i need this car now and don't have the option to wait. the sticker price is $15,873 - i'd be much happier with it being closer to $14,000.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
Ryude

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gia_LA View Post
unfortunately i need this car now and don't have the option to wait. the sticker price is $15,873 - i'd be much happier with it being closer to $14,000.
Sounds like the dealer has the upper hand, you should always purchase a car when time is on your side. If they know you can't wait, and have no other dealership to purchase said vehicle, then they won't come off the price since you will buy it anyway.
Ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
^
Yes it is hard to negotiate anything from a position of weakness.

I hope you have a good poker face, and didn't let the dealer know you want the car right away. They have to believe you are willing to walk away at any time.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I would go to another dealership nearby and price out a similarly equipped Yaris, even if it's not the same color. Then you have the option of simply buying that car (assuming it's cheaper), or of telling the dealership with the Carmine Red Metallic that the other said dealership has a cheaper car and you will walk unless they match that price.

If they are both similarly priced and won't come down, then that's probably what you will pay at any dealership around you and is a fair market price.

(Let me also add that the dealers do not have much mark-up to play with on the cheaper econo-box's like the Yaris, so $700 may be all they can come down to still make a profit.)

Good luck!
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
gia_LA

i just got back from the dearlership but did not leave with a car. they are totally trying to dick me over. the price of the vehicle has now become the least of my worries. unfortunately i'm stuck with working with them if i want to buy new since i have credit issues and they are offering to do some creative accounting to allow me to put 6g's down...idk - they've actually made me sick to my stomach, just threw up. lovely day.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Unfortunately, less than stellar credit often puts you at a disadvantage when negotiating the price of a new car. Good luck.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by gia_LA View Post
i just got back from the dearlership but did not leave with a car. they are totally trying to dick me over. the price of the vehicle has now become the least of my worries. unfortunately i'm stuck with working with them if i want to buy new since i have credit issues and they are offering to do some creative accounting to allow me to put 6g's down...idk - they've actually made me sick to my stomach, just threw up. lovely day.
Hang in there!

Look at your options... new used vehicle?

You could pick up in very good condition a used Yaris...

I know of some in my area that are 2008's and being sold by a car dealer for less than $7,000 and less than 25,000 vehicle miles to boot! And the Yaris really depreciates after three years... this is the case everywhere...

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
If you're truly in a rush to get a car, then IMO your best bet is to just get a used car (try to avoid beaters if you can). They're easier to find and have a variety of prices.

In any case, figuring out your preferred price to a new car takes quite a bit of time and research. It'll do you very well if you look at MSRP prices online. It'll help you lay-down a rock-solid decision beforehand of how much you wanna pay in total, including how much you wanna put down and how much you wanna pay a month. This is now your offer so stick to it.

And as kimona said, your credit history will decide if your offer is possible, or at least how close you can get to it. GL

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #12
vwtech
Banned

Drives: 09 jetta tdi dsg
I just picked up a nice 07 yaris for 6600 in awesome shape, you might want to consider buying used.
vwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:50 AM   #13
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
I bought a 2010 Carmine Red hatch with power package, cruise, floormats & cold weather package for $14050 back in November. With sales sliding like they are I can't imagine why you can't do at least as well as this (if not better). Is Toyota still offering cash back?

Anyway, I would look elsewhere.....$700 off full sticker is not a great deal at all.