Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #33
Tanabe USA

Drives: Toyota Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
What is the difference between the Concept G and Medalion Touring, other than appearance?

Does one have more baffling than another?

What concerns me the most about the Tanabe exhausts is the reported sound levels. I understand that it stays under 93db at all RPMs, but that could very well mean that it operates at 90db at 3000 RPM, as compared to the 72 or so db that the standard OEM exhaust generates. This is an exaggeration on my part, but I hope you understand my point.

The design of the Medalion Touring is just like the N1 series from Apex, and that design always produces more noise - and not always the best noise, especially on a N/A vehicle.

Listening to the sound clips of the Concept G from the outside, the exhaust sounds somewhat high and blaring at mid/high RPMs. I know this is going to happen when you push the car at higher revs, but the sound reminds me of all the R-Active/Cherry Bomb/Universal exhausts that contribute to the noise pollution on the streets when they're in traffic at 50-60km/h in third gear. (I blame all the poor import tuners for this!)

If Tanabe could produce a chart reflecting average db levels at various RPMs, that would help my decision to buy or not.

For example, Fujitsubo manufactures an exhaust for the 1.5L Yaris RS, brand name Wagolis, which is even QUIETER than stock! The great thing is, the sound it generates is lower (quieter) and the exhaust sound effect is not annoyingly high.

The "Under 93db" that we state does not mean that the exhaust operates at 93db at all rpms. When we are developing the exhaust system, we calculate an SAE db average using the same method of testing that is used by referee stations to test sound output from automotive exhausts.

What this means is that 93db is the maximum allowable averaged db rating of the exhaust at all rpms. The exhaust system may be 85db at idle, 88db at cruising, and 92db at high rpms. Under 93db means it will not exceed this. 95db is the legal limit of most states, and every 2db generally represents a doubling in audible volume, putting our exhaust systems well within the scope of legal operation.

Sound clips must be listened to subjectively, as the sound clips we record were using lower tech digital cameras, and only high end equipment can capture the lower, more bass sounding frequencies.

Under 93db means that our exhaust systems are tested to and will conform with SAE db testing procedures used by agencies such as CHP referee stations.

Our exhaust systems are able to acheive this type of sound compliance due to the design and packing material found inside the muffler. We use a highly unique muffler packing material that differs from virtually all other exhaust manufacturers who are still utilizing various types of fiberglass packs.

Please see http://www.tanabe-usa.com/tech/techtest.asp

Tanabe Racing Development USA, Inc.
"We engineer performance!"
http://www.tanabe-usa.com

Performance parts for the Yaris/Vitz available 6-17-06. Please check forum or email us at info@tanabe-usa.com for updates and information.
Tanabe USA is offline   Reply With Quote