Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
What alignment do you need after lowering spring and shock/strut install?

Just wanted to make sure what alignment it is that you run with after installing lowering springs and upgraded shocks/struts, is it just the regular factory alignment specs? And how soon after is safe to get an alignment? Last thing I want to do is get one too soon then have to go get another once the springs settle in more.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I've waited months before. A little negative camber in the front would be good.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
been like 9 months still havent got a alignment lol
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
detroiter

I can understand installing the springs that you might be able to go without one for a while, but what about the shocks and struts too...changing both wouldn't throw the alignment off big time right away? I'm changing bother springs and shocks this weekend hopefully....and again, is it factory specs that you run with when it's time? Thanks guys
Old 05-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Well your alignment is oing to be slightly off either way cause u stil have to remove the struts to change the springs. The rear is solid axle so no adjustments anyways nor should they go out of spec.

Front i used a angle finder that is magnetically held in place to the brake rotor so you install the strut in the exactly same position so you wont really need alignment when your done.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
The rear alignment doesn't change with ride height or with replacement of shocks. Unless you've bent something or are going for an extreme performance alignment, you don't need to worry about it.

The front camber will change anytime you change the ride height of the front of the car. Changes in camber create changes in toe. Improper toe settings are really bad for tire wear.

Back to the OP's question, the alignment you need depends on how you intend to use the car. If you're the average driver, then stick with the factory specs. If you corner aggressively or drive mountain roads regularly, or autocross regularly, then you would benefit from more negative camber in front. How much depends on you and your driving style. -2 to -2.5 degrees is not unheard of, but it is on the "extreme" side. -1.5 or so is probably a good place to start.

Always go with a little bit of toe-in up front to keep the car from wandering too much in a straight line.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
detroiter

I'm just going to be driving it "normal" on the roads with some AGGRESSIVE fun every now and then. I'd imaging the factory specs will be just fine. Thanks for your guys insight, appreciate it.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
Do a search for one of Loren's previous threads. There was a thread previously which did a fantastic job describing toe, camber, etc.
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote