Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Marketplace > Items for Sale by private party
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Would you buy one?
No 5 5.10%
Yes (for $75) 46 46.94%
Yes (but it would have to be less than $75) 7 7.14%
Yes (but I still want it to also display the time) 40 40.82%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #73
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
Bypassing the speed limiter seems like an amazing idea to me... would certainly increase the value of the module as well...

You might have to just call the whole thing the "one mod wonder fix" for all Yarii without tachs
I wouldn't build the speed limiter bypass into this module. It would be a separate stand alone module. The technology for it just happened to be an accidental benefit of me working on the YarGauge development.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #74
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Update: I haven't had much free time to work on this in the past week or so, but I have been making good progress in the time that I find. I have the CAN Bus interface fully working (thanks to Garm for loaning me his ECM). It is very handy to have a fully functional ECM sitting on you desk, rather than having to run out to the garage to test code.

For the display piece, I am having a tough time locating appropriately sized LCDs with backlight colors that will match our cluster lighting colors. I am now seriously considering using a full color 1.2" graphics lcd instead of a simple 2 line character LCD. This will give me complete control over color and text size. It will also allow me to experiment with doing cool stuff like having an analog tach display.

This is the LCD I have ordered to experiment with. I will only be able to use half of the display height in the clock window area.

6100 LCD.jpg

nokia_lcd2.JPG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nokia_lcd.JPG (30.9 KB, 323 views)
Old 09-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #75
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Very cool. Is it possible to cut the clock window opening so that the whole thing would be visible?

My brother just got a 2010 Mazda3 sedan and it has a small LCD (I think 3" diagonal) on the dash. It displays info. like average MPG, average speed, etc..
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #76
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I don't think people are going to want to chop up their cluster, but maybe I'm wrong. "plug 'n play" is the desire in general.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #77
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I don't think people are going to want to chop up their cluster, but maybe I'm wrong. "plug 'n play" is the desire in general.
Agreed. With the way that the cluster is constructed, it would be difficult to open that area cleanly.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #78
advocate

Drives: car
I think an OEM replacement is a great idea but the problem is that the clock is really damn small which is a limitation. I think an OEM integration would be cool but wouldn't want the features of your unit to be hampered because of a small screen CTScott. Just my opinion though.

Keep up the great work whatever you decide. This is a thread I love to follow.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #79
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
something small and easy to find a place for in the car wouldnt be bad..would be like our own scan gauge .. clock space integration would be sweet though :)
Old 09-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #80
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
I just bought a cluster from Australia for 250 dollars (I know I'm nuts!) on eBay with all LCD data display so I may or may not be an eventual customer for this CT depending on how the unit from OZ works out for me.

But I would like to add my 2 cents-

1. simplicity is a high priority- just give me tach- I wear a watch for time telling.
2. plugging it into the current clock slot is a must- OEM look is priority #1.
3. the bigger the LCDs - the better- much more important than any other feature- please no 2 line extra data- just the BIGGEST tach LCDs possible please.
4. must be part of OEM cluster- if I wanted to go with an external device I'd have a tach on my drivers side glove compartment door right now.

I might be in the minority on this but simplicity and tach functionality is what it's all about for me. We all owe you a big thanks CT!

The beauty of this technique is no problem with the odometer which needs to be reset by your dealer if you want to keep it correct when you switch clusters for one with a tach- assuming you can ever find one used- a new one was $520 from my friendly local Toyota dealer.

Last edited by Lewis; 09-24-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #81
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
^ might want to send it to Scott if you have problems as it has all of the
display for mpg and such already there , just not wired .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #82
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Wink

And I'm sure CTScott would LOVE to work on an Aussie cluster in his spare time!

If I had seen this thread earlier I'd have waited for CT to do his thing- now even if my aussie cluster works- I'll still be begging my Toyota service depatment to reflash my cluster. They did it with my seat belt warning chime for free but it would have been SO much easier to just go with this approach.

We all owe a great big thanks for this deal- YarisWorld rules.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #83
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
I just bought a cluster from Australia for 250 dollars (I know I'm nuts!) on eBay with all LCD data display so I may or may not be an eventual customer for this CT depending on how the unit from OZ works out for me.

But I would like to add my 2 cents-

1. simplicity is a high priority- just give me tach- I wear a watch for time telling.
2. plugging it into the current clock slot is a must- OEM look is priority #1.
3. the bigger the LCDs - the better- much more important than any other feature- please no 2 line extra data- just the BIGGEST tach LCDs possible please.
4. must be part of OEM cluster- if I wanted to go with an external device I'd have a tach on my drivers side glove compartment door right now.

I might be in the minority on this but simplicity and tach functionality is what it's all about for me. We all owe you a big thanks CT!

The beauty of this technique is no problem with the odometer which needs to be reset by your dealer if you want to keep it correct when you switch clusters for one with a tach- assuming you can ever find one used- a new one was $520 from my friendly local Toyota dealer.

I am really looking forward to seeing if the Aussie cluster works. My money is on that it will.

As for the Yargauge, this thread has been handy for doing market research. I like hearing peoples' opinions and ideas. I definitely intend on having user configurable options, like miles or km, one or two line display, etc.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #84
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
And I'm sure CTScott would LOVE to work on an Aussie cluster in his spare time!

If I had seen this thread earlier I'd have waited for CT to do his thing- now even if my aussie cluster works- I'll still be begging my Toyota service depatment to reflash my cluster. They did it with my seat belt warning chime for free but it would have been SO much easier to just go with this approach.

We all owe a great big thanks for this deal- YarisWorld rules.
Lewis,

You should start an Aussie Cluster Thread. I'm sure if it works it will become a sticky.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:44 AM   #85
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
i hate to say this , and hopefully i am wrong , but the
Ausie / NZ cluster is angle at the US passengers side
it might not be vissable from the US drivers side ,
Best case is that the US mounting Brackets are differant .
Best of luck and keep us informed
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #86
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
My biggest gripe with the clock is that it doesn't display when you have the key turned to accessory only, you have to turn it to ON so you can get the readout. Pain in the arse when you're sitting there waiting for the train to arrive, listening to music, and you want to see what time it is, you have to turn the key on instead of just looking up... GRRR! Stinkin electronics!

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #87
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
i hate to say this , and hopefully i am wrong , but the
Ausie / NZ cluster is angle at the US passengers side
it might not be vissable from the US drivers side ,
Best case is that the US mounting Brackets are differant .
Best of luck and keep us informed
Now - yet another thing that could go wrong!

I agree that's a real possiblity with the RHD layout- and believe it or not I did think of it- but thought maybe even if it's wrong the mounting might be modify-able.

I think it's a 50-50 at the very best but what the heck- I thought it was worth a try both for the appearance of the face which I like very much, and the fact it would most certainly be unique if it did work out.

Lewis
Old 09-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #88
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Hell, I'm interested in bypassing the speed limiter. I might be down for this too, even though I have a scangauge already.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #89
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

I fell guilty that I'm intruding on this thread- I'll start a new one on DIY maintenance- OZ CLUSTER
Old 09-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #90
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Cool

Quote:
I fell guilty that I'm intruding on this thread- I'll start a new one on DIY maintenance- OZ CLUSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_wise_man_5_posts_ago_said
Lewis,

You should start an Aussie Cluster Thread. I'm sure if it works it will become a sticky.
I think you should read this guys posts. He knows what he's talking about.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote