Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
YarisHatch

Drives: Blank
Send a message via AIM to YarisHatch Send a message via Yahoo to YarisHatch
About to buy a hatch

Hello everyone,
Let me first start off by introducing myself, my name is Tony and currently i drive a 05' Scion Xb. Since i'm kind of out of it, i really don't know what else to say about that. I have some mods, if anyone would like to see pictures or ask any questions reguarding what i have done.

I have put my deposit down on a Yaris Hatch/lift about a week and a half ago, right now just waiting for them to find one to bring to the dealership. Sucks waiting let me tell you. I put a deposit down on a hatch 5spd with cd player only. Of course, you have to get the convience package with that but yeah. They might bring one in with more options, if so hopefully the guy i'm dealing with will work me. I think i will.

My questions for those who do own one is.. How are you liking it so far? And, how much are you paying for insurance? I'm hoping my insurance won't rise too much, i doubt it will but always good to be sure.

Well, i'm new to the community so.. Hi?
YarisHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:43 AM   #2
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
Mines 750 for 6 months, full coverage, 500$ deductables (that spelled right :/) on my sedan. As for liking it, i am one of those kind of people that would feel salty driving a neon or a kia or even the old echo, omg i hated that car and i like this car :). For being a cheap fuel saver its got more style than antying in its class.
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:47 AM   #3
YarisHatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennystocks
Mines 750 for 6 months, full coverage, 500$ deductables (that spelled right :/) on my sedan. As for liking it, i am one of those kind of people that would feel salty driving a neon or a kia or even the old echo, omg i hated that car and i like this car :). For being a cheap fuel saver its got more style than antying in its class.
Yeah, definitely. I bought the xb planning not to do anything to it, and that plan failed. I've spend quite a bit of money on mods and i'm hopefully starting college here in the near future. Kind of would like to go back to a stock car and enjoy the fuel economy, definitely something the yaris has.

I hate the wait though, almost two weeks since my deposit and haven't found one yet. Getting a yaris hatch in a 5spd is proving to be pretty rare. Hopefully they can get me one soon, i've test driven an auto. Feels nice and sturdy, handling is great and pick up is pretty good. Love the car, just wanted to find out what actual owners feel.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I am paying about $800 a month for insurance.

I waited a full month before my dealership received a car for me.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:47 PM   #5
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
A month? You gotta be kidding me.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
Uglyboyed

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S Flint Mica
Send a message via AIM to Uglyboyed Send a message via Yahoo to Uglyboyed
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?

I waited a full month before my dealership received a car for me.
AAaaw dammn i thought mines was bad.. i was quoted 625 at many diferrent places because i need full coverage and a sr22 to be able to drive due to me get my lincense suspended twice and getting 18 points in 18 months. but i found a local insurance place called Gainsco that really hook me up. 215 a month with 530 down. Huge diffence huh? shop around buddy!!!! It saves my life and my car cause i was t3 seconds away from giving it back and taking the bus
Uglyboyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:11 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
A month? You gotta be kidding me.
ROFL, yes that was a typo. I should have wrote a year.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:17 PM   #8
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Phew. I was gonna tell you to buy a bike instead. ;)
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
uglyboyed- buy a bike instead.....jk
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:29 PM   #10
YarisHatch

lol.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #11
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
About $800/year (Can.) on my 3-door RS. Full coverage $500 deductable. I have a reasonably clear record ........ I did my racing on the track.
As for liking it??????? I switched from an Acura which was a VERY nice vehicle, but I have found the Yaris has restored my love of driving. I frequently go for long drives in the country in the RS, just because it is so much fun. It is also a very practical car, with efficient use of interior space and great gas mileage. It's been all positives for me so far!!!!!!!!
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:23 AM   #12
Uglyboyed

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S Flint Mica
Send a message via AIM to Uglyboyed Send a message via Yahoo to Uglyboyed
lol. i was pretty close to getting one. but trust me 215 is alot better that i expected. and all my ticket where in 2003 so once this year is over my insurance will be clean as a whistle and i can get insurance rates like the rest of you guys.
Uglyboyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:58 PM   #13
YarisHatch

Talked to my dealership today, two possible hatchs come in this weekend! Hopefully they do so i can work a deal with them and come home with a yaris.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:07 AM   #14
Vodalus

Drives: Black Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Anyone considering purchasing a new car from a salesman at a dealership should read this article:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

It's a must-read and will arm you with knowledge before you go into battle with a car salesman.

However, I would recommend you buy the car directly from the fleet manager through the internet instead of the tradional walk-in method. Also, oftentimes nowadays you need to call the dealership and ask for the fleet manager directly because the phone numbers on their internet pages often are direct lines to an "internet salesperson" which is NOT the fleet manager, but another shark.

Currently waiting on a black 3-door hatchback myself, good luck!
Vodalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:47 AM   #15
YarisHatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodalus
Anyone considering purchasing a new car from a salesman at a dealership should read this article:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

It's a must-read and will arm you with knowledge before you go into battle with a car salesman.

However, I would recommend you buy the car directly from the fleet manager through the internet instead of the tradional walk-in method. Also, oftentimes nowadays you need to call the dealership and ask for the fleet manager directly because the phone numbers on their internet pages often are direct lines to an "internet salesperson" which is NOT the fleet manager, but another shark.

Currently waiting on a black 3-door hatchback myself, good luck!
I checked that link out. It's kind of funny because, i've never had a bad experience when i go to a dealership to just check out some cars, or when i bought my xb. Sometimes sales people do pressure you into trying to buy something that particular day, you just have to trust yourself rather than them... Plus stand your ground.

The walk in method is what i'm using for the yaris, the guy i'm working with seems to be a good guy. When i came in last time to check up on things we spent thirty minutes just talking about cars, and whatever. Sure, this can be a tooled used to sell cars. Infact, i'm sure it is. However, the fact he doesn't pressure me, the fact he does understand where i'm coming from with going to college soon and needing cheap payments ensures me that hes not going to totally screw me.

A few things a consumer should always do is this, when you are talking about payments, and they know your serious as well as yourself. (knowing your serious about buying) Well, when you feel you are being taken advantaged of you can always through this line out, "Well, ___ at ___ dealership said they could work out a better deal." Or "I can always take my business else where. I know you want to sell me the car, you know i want the car. But you just aren't working with me well enough and i feel you are wasting my time." These two lines will let them know, wow! He will walk and not buy a car from us! Lets work further and see what happens. They use lines, just like the customer can too. Its knowing what to say, and not to say that will benefit you. Arguing with them will get you know where. But staying firm, yet friendly will let them know you are running the show.

In conclusion, good link, but its not true everywhere and you, as the consumer can do things as well. Also, when you talk about downpayments, always say less than what you are really willing to pay.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:44 AM   #16
Vodalus

Drives: Black Yaris 3dr Hatchback
I agree the stigma of high pressure sales isn't true everywhere. I think the writer of that article mentions that at the dealerships where he worked he ran across a few decent salespeople that didn't try to gouge too much. Congrats if you already know a decent dealer who is somewhat honest, that puts you a step ahead of most buyers. I can't begrudge anyone making their profit for their service, I just think most buyers nowadays are more informed than the salespeople about the car they want, so they are paying for nothing. To say nothing of the massive waste of valuable time. The average walk-in experience to buy a car takes around five hours.

Anyway, just thought I'd put some information forward as a first post. At the very least it's an entertaining read. But I think there's some useful information there for anyone who is going shopping at random car dealers.
Vodalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:08 AM   #17
Jola1

Drives: 06 Yaris 3dr YRX
Hey there. Have ordered a Green Aspen 3dr YRX, hard to find here at the other end of the planet!!!

People need to look around, ask friends about dealers, friends who may be dealers and what their deal is/was. Very happy with the dealer I went through in Adelaide.

At the ned of the day, it is 'buyer beware' it is the dealers job to try and get money out of you and it is up to the individual to know what you are prepared to pay and what is reasonable.

They are sharks, but I am sharkier....Grrrrrrrrrrr
Old 05-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #18
YarisHatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jola1
Hey there. Have ordered a Green Aspen 3dr YRX, hard to find here at the other end of the planet!!!

People need to look around, ask friends about dealers, friends who may be dealers and what their deal is/was. Very happy with the dealer I went through in Adelaide.

At the ned of the day, it is 'buyer beware' it is the dealers job to try and get money out of you and it is up to the individual to know what you are prepared to pay and what is reasonable.

They are sharks, but I am sharkier....Grrrrrrrrrrr
Ah, beautiful aus, i'm jealous! How do you like living there? Yaris is so new, and toyota didn't expect the popularity that it is getting, so naturally they are way behind in production. Which makes it a very rare car for the time being.

Oh, and vodalus i totally agree. Its a hardlife as a salesman, you make majority of your ends meet with the money you get with each sold car under your belt. So naturally, they are going to try and get the most they can. Understandable, but there is a line between trying to get the best deal you can for yourself, and as well as the customer and just flat out ripping people off. I think my dealership i've been dealing with is pretty good, at least, the guy i'm working with. When i bought the xb, i spend about an hour signing papers and that was it. Very fast.