Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Possible Tiamat Hauler?

Well as some folks know...might not be many, my goal is to tour the land speed racing points once I have reached my speed goals with my 07 sedan at the LTA in Limestone, Maine. In order to do this I could a) Drive Tiamat across the country and hope to hell that I never get into an accident or b) Trailer the beast. I am leaning more toward trailering. In that case my criteria since my roots are from the classic days are to have a truck that is classic/antique, but also have 4 doors. I suppose that I could find me a sedan pre-1970, but that would prove not so practical since I will need to bring tools and other items that would be too much of a PITA in a sedan besides the fact that if I had a sedan the trunk would be full of stereo equipment

Anywho, there is a local gentleman that has been there and back who owns a 1969 (owner thinks) Dodge Club Cab Heavy Duty D200 Stepside truck that he acquired from the Air Force apparently. I have done some in initial research online and can't really find much. This would lend one to think that this would be a rare find in which case could make things interesting and fun as well as valuable down the line however at the same time who knows it could be no value at all! I took some photos today and wanted to get input from folks on what they think? It seems to be pretty solid. It would require a frame off rebuild of course as you can't tow a race car with a POS. I am not a big fan per se of Dodge trucks or their older powertrains so a more modern creative swap could be the ticket especially since it would be for the most part to haul with. Since it is a "military" vehicle I am assuming (you all know what assuming ends up being ) that the frame is beefier as well as the suspension than the civilian counterpart, but that would require more research. I would most likely retrofit something a bit more refined and modern on that note as well. The interior would be a clean slate as it is just about like an empty "room" as you can see in the photos. Sooooooooooo......

Thoughts?

1969 Dodge Club Cab Military Truck

Here is a quick video of a restored or possibly original standard bed D200 Club Cab:

1969 Dodge D200 4 door

Here is a video of a 2 Door D100 from 1971 which is similar to get an idea of what it might look like rebuilt/restored:

1971 DODGE PICK-UP

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.

Last edited by fnkngrv; 11-01-2012 at 08:11 PM.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
The big problem I had with my old dodge was that parts are difficult to find so that might be something to think about. The military truck would be on the one I'd look at since parts are more likely to exist and be easier to find since they have to have a guaranteed parts list for 20+ years.

I'd love to see the military truck with a cummins swap that would be cool those old dodge powerplants and trannys kinda suck but a new engine would make one of those awesome.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
Figure out what frame it has first. Not sure if Dodge kept their frames the same through all the years. Ford F-5 trucks from the 70's up until today are built on the same frame measurements. The shop that I spend a lot of time at is doing a new F-5 frame on an old firetruck to give it modern things like brakes and suspension. Dodge might have done the same thing. You should be able to do a newer motor and not have to worry about clearance issues. The only thing you might want to worry about is your rear differential on the factory truck. Military trucks were never rated for high speeds but more towards pulling power over rough terrain.

I love the pillars between the front and back door on that truck though.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Thanks for the heads up on the frame. I did scrutinize it pretty heavily and it is still very solid. From what I can tell and my experience with rebuilds and restorations in the past it does look like I could remove it and have it blasted to be recoated/repainted with minimal deterioration. Apparently it was one of the ones that had been garaged at the local AFB when it was in its duty life which of course is a plus. I would do a full powertrain/suspension replacement to include rear diff and both sets of axles. I would want it to ride much more comfortable rather than the totally stiffened ride that they were known for.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
And here you go. Look what popped up at SEMA this year.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/11/...tlight-o-rama/

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHDVIPbB View Post
And here you go. Look what popped up at SEMA this year.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/11/...tlight-o-rama/
Very nice! I really need to get over to the guy's place again and verify the year to be extra sure of what I am looking at. The more I have researched the more I am finding that they are kind of rare especially with the VIN matching step side bed.