Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Push
Push

Drives: Black Sand Toyota Yaris
Send a message via AIM to Push
Does wheel size effect performance?

I know the width of the wheel effects it. and off course the Height of the wheel. Also the tire speed rating and brand. But my real questions is this. Im cheap and I dont mind keeping 15 inch wheels on my car. W rated tires are about 92 bucks.
Push is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
15" will handle much better than a larger wheel
Old 06-25-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
Push
Push

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
15" will handle much better than a larger wheel
so some performance 15in wheel. and good tires would be good. Im going for performance on my car. but the club im in does shows also.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

I -personally- like the look of 15 inch wheels. See my garage. I like 205/50/15 and a nice drop. I'm waiting on coilovers in the mail now. Two inches is almost enough but not quite enough drop on that side wall for me. I hate the oversized wheel look. That is just -my- opinion. Anything over a 17 inch wheel looks plain silly on a Yaris to -me- and I wuldn't go larger than 16.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
Push
Push

Quote:
I -personally- like the look of 15 inch wheels. See my garage. I like 205/50/15 and a nice drop. I'm waiting on coilovers in the mail now. Two inches is almost enough but not quite enough drop on that side wall for me. I hate the oversized wheel look. That is just -my- opinion. Anything over a 17 inch wheel looks plain silly on a Yaris to -me- and I wuldn't go larger than 16.
me too. like is sd 15 inch wheels were put on that car for a reason. along with potenzas or eagle ls tires. my girl has a mazda 6 with 16" michelin mxv4 on them and i am going to kill her if she blows a tire.

btw your yaris is nice. i dont like the LB that much but white makes it look much bigger
Old 06-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

ha, yeah it is a small car

I think lowering it has a lengthening effect also.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
Push
Push

Quote:
ha, yeah it is a small car

I think lowering it has a lengthening effect also.
it may. yours is coming together well
Old 06-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
Biggie™

Drives: '07 3 Door Yaris of Doom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Push View Post
I know the width of the wheel effects it. and off course the Height of the wheel. Also the tire speed rating and brand. But my real questions is this. Im cheap and I dont mind keeping 15 inch wheels on my car. W rated tires are about 92 bucks.
A good rule of thumb in the racing world is to run the smallest wheel that fits over your brakes. 15" wheels and tires are light and come in a number of good sizes and brands. 13" would be even better if they fit.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
Jaysun

Drives: yaris
Well 15" will or may help with corning but it depends how or what performance you ar looking for. My brother had a 95 acura with stock steel 14" rims. he went to a wider tire and 17" in the same hieght. they addes 4 pounds per rim and tire. they were very expensive wheels to keep the weight down. In the 1/4 he went from 16.2 to 16.9. on the dyno it lost 9 frhp. the guy at the shop with the dyno claims it due to the wieght being more to the outside of the wheel takes more power to turn and stop.
Jaysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysun View Post
Well 15" will or may help with corning but it depends how or what performance you ar looking for. My brother had a 95 acura with stock steel 14" rims. he went to a wider tire and 17" in the same hieght. they addes 4 pounds per rim and tire. they were very expensive wheels to keep the weight down. In the 1/4 he went from 16.2 to 16.9. on the dyno it lost 9 frhp. the guy at the shop with the dyno claims it due to the wieght being more to the outside of the wheel takes more power to turn and stop.

this is the guy that sold your brother the expensive wheels?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:17 AM   #11
Turbo&Auto

Drives: 07
In drag racing, smaller is better to get the best accel. For road racing there needs to be a comprimise, you cant run 13's and a 70 or 80 series tire and expect it to handle good. You can run 15's with a 50 series or 16's with a 45 on it.
Turbo&Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Yes, size affects performance.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #13
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
I noticed right off the bat going from stock steelies to 16x7's,my wheels are pretty heavy though. With some nice lightweight wheels you wouldn't even notice since the tires are only 2 lbs heavier.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
Biggie™

Drives: '07 3 Door Yaris of Doom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo&Auto View Post
In drag racing, smaller is better to get the best accel. For road racing there needs to be a comprimise, you cant run 13's and a 70 or 80 series tire and expect it to handle good. You can run 15's with a 50 series or 16's with a 45 on it.

Why in the hell would you run a 70 series on anything? And in road racing it works the same way... The REAL compromise come from brake size, when you run huge brakes you need bigger wheels. And until you throw some race pads on your Yaris and run a few hot laps, you wont have much useful information on needed brake upgrades.

Anyway... You can get a sweet 225/45-13, they are short, lowering your center of gravity and reducing your gearing, improving acceleration. They are also very light, you can get 13" rims in the 8 pound range. This also improves acceleration even more and reduces unsprung weight, improving handling. There is a reason race cars capable of running 13" wheels still do.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #15
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie™ View Post
Why in the hell would you run a 70 series on anything? And in road racing it works the same way... The REAL compromise come from brake size, when you run huge brakes you need bigger wheels. And until you throw some race pads on your Yaris and run a few hot laps, you wont have much useful information on needed brake upgrades.

Anyway... You can get a sweet 225/45-13, they are short, lowering your center of gravity and reducing your gearing, improving acceleration. They are also very light, you can get 13" rims in the 8 pound range. This also improves acceleration even more and reduces unsprung weight, improving handling. There is a reason race cars capable of running 13" wheels still do.
yeah, look at the old mini coopers...little wheels=quick acceleration.
keesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #16
gaffo

Drives: integra
You can get a sweet 225/45-13 sounds sweet.

How can you find out what is the smallest wheel the Yaris can use? What about 12"ers?

Mini Coopers had 10" tires BTW ;-).
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:21 PM   #17
reznunt
Hi!

Drives: EF Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Yes, size affects performance.
good answer, i concur.
reznunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #18