Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-29-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
MI_canuck

Drives: VW Jetta 1.8T
cargo capacity for the LB?

Looking at specs for cargo capacity of both the Yaris and Fit on their respective US websites (www.toyotausa.com & www.hondacars.com), noticing that the Yaris LB is listed as having much lower cargo capacity (9.32 cu.ft seats up, 25.7 seats down), than the Honda Fit (21.3 cu.ft seats up, 41.9 seats down).

Just wondering if there is that much difference in the "real world" cargo capacities of these two. Anyone ever compare both? Could it be due to the Fit being able to flop the front passenger seat forward for some extra cargo capacity? It doesn't seem to add up, since both these cars are similar in size and passenger dimensions (headroom/legroom/shouldroom/etc...) (Fit is a bit longer than the 3-door Yaris LB, otherwise very similar in every other dimension.

peace
MI_canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
the fit has a lot more cargo space because the gas tank is underneath the front seats and the rear seats fold flat and fairly low to the floor, making for a lot of space.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:25 PM   #3
drell42

Drives: Blank
I can fit a whole buggy full of groceries with out squishing the bread, and i can fit to full size aircraft carry-on bags+ with no problem! SEATS UP!
drell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:59 PM   #4
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy View Post
the fit has a lot more cargo space because the gas tank is underneath the front seats and the rear seats fold flat and fairly low to the floor, making for a lot of space.
That about sums it up :)

plenty of space in both, though.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
MI_canuck

Drives: VW Jetta 1.8T
Quote:
OK - so it's established that the Fit has more room, this in large part to the fuel tank location (under front seats on Fit vs under rear floor pan on Yaris) being the differentiating factor between cargo in.

Alternatively, how does the cargo of the 3-door Yaris LB compare with the Mini? Both being 3-door, and to my knowledge, similar fuel tank placement (unlike the Fit), I'd assume them to be close in cargo capacity, no?

peace
MI_canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
A guy at work has a mini and it seems a lot more cramped in capacity than the Yaris but I could be wrong.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #7
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
just remove the spare tire and those plastic boxes and there is an impressive amount of space
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I love when I go to the Grocery, and come out will all those bags and people just stare at me like "he is going to fit all that, in there?" I get kicks from it every week when we go :)
Old 12-30-2006, 09:54 PM   #9
stuffy

Quote:
(9.32 cu.ft seats up, 25.7 seats down), than the Honda Fit (21.3 cu.ft seats up, 41.9 seats down).
i was just looking more closely at those numbers, and to me, they don't seem right.
the fit has a deeper trunk space than the yaris hatch, but there is no way it is more than twice the size of the yaris with seats up. my friend has the fit and i have compered them side by side.
it might be 1.5 times the size, but no way is it twice the size.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:22 PM   #10
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Quote:
i was just looking more closely at those numbers, and to me, they don't seem right.
the fit has a deeper trunk space than the yaris hatch, but there is no way it is more than twice the size of the yaris with seats up. my friend has the fit and i have compered them side by side.
it might be 1.5 times the size, but no way is it twice the size.

I dont really know much about it, but i think the cargo space is from floor to roof. Thus if the floor were longer each extra inch of length would make a significant difference in cubic volume of the trunk. Also, the fit looks like a mini mini-van for a reason..namely the roof doesnt slope downward, thus there would be alot more space in the air at the roof of the vehicle.

So you already have added length plus added heigth because of the roofline, then throw in...i think...a deeper floor because of the lack of gas tank you could def. have such a significant difference

....but...its not very useful space on a daily basis because the majority of the measurments are in the air:) rather than having actual floor space to put your objects on as in a sedan, or the most glorious of all vehicles--the wagon (most of them anyway).
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:05 AM   #11
stuffy

that makes good sense bmgyaris, you're probably right
Old 12-31-2006, 12:28 AM   #12
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
when we were doing reno's a few months ago I made a few trips to home depot in the Yaris. The truck had no insurance so everything had to go in the yaris. I put everything from 8' trees, trim, loads of lumber, insulation and about 60 bricks into it (not all at the same time)...
You get some pretty amazed looks when you cram shit into this thing.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:45 AM   #13
spkrman
Banned

Old 12-31-2006, 08:38 AM   #14
MrMondayNite

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
I fit 4ft by 4ft plywood with the seat's down, and I love the versatility of the sliding forward rear seat, I use it all the time.
04 BMW 330 XI (Traded in)
03 VW Jetta GLX VR6 (gave to Dad)
01 Civic EX (gave to Mom)
MrMondayNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #15
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
I would like to know what the SQUARE footage is (talking about just the cargo floor/platform area, not including the space from floor to roof) with rear seats folded down on both the Yaris and Fit. I'll bet there isn't that much difference.
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #16
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris13 View Post
I would like to know what the SQUARE footage is (talking about just the cargo floor/platform area, not including the space from floor to roof) with rear seats folded down on both the Yaris and Fit. I'll bet there isn't that much difference.
this is the most important number... of course on paper higher numbers look better.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #17
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I'd be surprised if the Fit had a significant advantage over the Yaris in real world cargo hauling. I use my Yaris to transport cargo on a regular basis. It's big enough to take several of those large box's that wouldn't fit in a Sedan. The front passenger seat might not fold flat, but it does fold forward and stay in place once it's there.

From experience, the Yaris's cargo height is adequate, so getting a few extra inch on the height is not going to make much of a difference. What would really improve the cargo capacity is extra width. Which brings to mind the upcoming euro Corolla, which looks like the Yaris's big brother. That car will probably have very usable cargo capacity (and still look good doing it).

Here in Toronto, we've got a few rentals company that specialize in renting Fit/Versa/Yaris and they rent them by the hour. If you're really serious about the cargo hauling capacity, rent em and go crazy. Make sure you've got some extremely large box's to keep things real.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #18
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMondayNite View Post
I fit 4ft by 4ft plywood with the seat's down, and I love the versatility of the sliding forward rear seat, I use it all the time.
What year is your Yaris? I have a 2007 hatchback and I can't fit a 4x4 plywood in there. I've tried every angle I can think of but the hatch opening is just slightly too small.
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote