Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
phantomlord

Drives: Yaris (Vitz?) 2006 Sedan
Ideas to put to use the entire double DIN space?

I want to replace my factory Toyota T2603 double-din (180mm x 100mm ) stereo, mainly because it does not seem to have an RCA input for an MP3 player.
I know there are a lot of fine single-DIN stereos around, but I am not too enthusiastic about putting a filler and instead, I was wondering which would be a good budget double-din stereo or other car entertainment device?
I'm not interested in spending a fortune and my main requirement is being able to listen to my audio book library in the car, so mp3 playback from SDHC or USB and decent 4 channel amplified audio output are fundamental.
Besides that, I don't think I would watch movies and I definitely do not need GPS as I do not travel very far with my Yaris (Vitz?) 2006 4-door sedan, so a big screen is not necesary unless it fits a budget of around $250?
I would spend more, but only if anybody knows of a decently featured car computer with integrated screen that would fit in there? Does anybody run Android OS or even MS Windows in their dash?
Experience or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Last edited by phantomlord; 05-01-2011 at 03:22 PM.
phantomlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
RawrDaddy

Drives: 2007
alot of the common carputers (custom made by users) run off Windows.

people who put tablets as their heead units usually use some ANdroid tablet.

..but since it seems like your not looking to get EVERYFEATUREUNDERTHESUN - ill get on topic.

there are LOTS of head units that you can choose from.

two that popped up for me were -
JVC KW-HDR720 [$165]
2011 CLARION CX501 [$145]

you could ebay search and get tons of results. many will probably be big touch-screen [chinese] devices that have all the features that you want. if your not too concerned with sticking with big name brand companies - then there are also a whole other list of devices that id recommend.
RawrDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Ding ding....we have a winner!

It's a pretty good HU for the money, The next step up has Bluetooth capabilities.
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CHYQ8wIwBQ#

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
shima
2007 Yaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris - Automatic Sedan
Send a message via AIM to shima Send a message via MSN to shima Send a message via Yahoo to shima
I really like the hand me down double DIN stereo I got from my boyfriend, it's got bluetooth audio and bluetooth phone abilities, ipod controls, aux, mp3 cd, hd radio ready (but I didn't install the hd component)... it's a Pioneer, exact model and photos are on my recent post in this forum :)

Not sure if they still make that model, but similar ones would work well too I imagine. Oh and make sure to measure, you might have space left over on the left and right like I did, but a simple cheap purchase on amazon fixed that :)
Old 05-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
phantomlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawrDaddy View Post
2011 CLARION CX501 [$145]
Thank you Rawr and the rest for the suggestions, I think I am going to buy one of the Bluetooth DDIN head units.
I had already seen the Pioneer and Clarion, but I haven't been able to find anything at $145!!! Where did you see it that low?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
RawrDaddy

Drives: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomlord View Post
I had already seen the Pioneer and Clarion, but I haven't been able to find anything at $145!!! Where did you see it that low?
eBay is your best friend
i do remember me seeing the price in red lettering when i posted that though - aka the unit was currently on sale so let me check to see if i can retrace my tracks.

sorry if i cant find it..i dont like getting peoples hope up.
if only i had found it on this computer - then a quick history scroll would solve everything.
RawrDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
phantomlord

Just FYI, I bought a 1 DIN sony bluetooth stereo and kenwood rear speakers for about $200 both. Everything works like a charm, but the two speakers look a bit odd... being so close togehter using the factory mounting spaces.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
ChitownY@Ris

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan
I have that unit in my sedan. Best bang for your buck, man. I just wish the gps module sold separately didn't cost as much as this unit, because that's where Pioneer tries to nail you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-25.jpg (152.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Pioneer.jpg (141.6 KB, 139 views)