Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #163
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Drives: Absolutely red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to jclo3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
It is always gonna happen on a forum, hell I am guilty of doing a few myself but that is the nature of the beast. Sometimes it is hard to keep opinions to ones self again I am guilty of this as well.
It's a right as an American to bear arms and speak freely about it. Perhaps there should be a thread dedicated to those who oppose and another for those that enjoy firearms. We are all here because we own a Toyota Yaris and enjoy talking about our little cars. We not here to break each other down. Everyone has a right to their own veiw, just accept that not everyone sees the world through your eyes.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
jclo3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #164
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
We also have the right to bare arms.

Which of course brings up the point that "just because ya can, doesn't mean ya should".
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #165
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
It's a right as an American to bear arms and speak freely about it.
Actually, if you pull a gun in public you'll probably go to jail.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #166
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Well as of yesterday I now have one less in my collection and my brother has one to start his. He wanted to start target shooting so I sent him my Ruger MKII Gov't model modified with a red dot sight and fully accurized trigger, sear and all the fun parts.

I shot one last 10 shot 50' target and sent that along just so he would know it is capable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9949.JPG (115.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9953.JPG (138.7 KB, 41 views)

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #167
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Nice grouping.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #168
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Well some of us are proud to be gun owners and posting pics of our firearms does not mean we are trying to be macho. I am just as proud of my firearm as I am of my car and I post pics of that as well. Please don't lump people that post pics of there firearms as people trying to being all macho about it, cause that is just simply not the case.
Maybe the word "indiscrete" is better and only from my own perspective. I'm sure I'm just seeing things through the lens of privacy. I'm an intensely private person.

You'll note in my photo of myself posing with an AK I took some pains to hide my identity and that of the owner. The pose was more a parody, hence no web gear or "macho" scowl.

Quote:
Someone trying to be all macho is the guy who pulls his gun out in a situation that does not call for it, these people could also be considered idiots.
I think the word "incontinent" would also work, as in they can't control their impulses and have done the legal equivalent of shitting in their own pants. They need to be sent to their room with no supper and have their toys taken away for a while. The "childish" insinuation is there on purpose - if you cannot control your impulses you have no business having dangerous tools at your immediate disposal.

I've had too many instances in my life where I was shaking with rage, heavily armed and never once considered pulling the piece.

Still recall one instance where a Pittsburgh City Meter maid ticketed my car for being four inches into the next space that had an expired meter. The space where I "parked" had two hours on it. She said "Take it up with the Magistrate, I ain't got time for this shit" and stomped off.

Only later did I realize I was that angry and with a shock realized that I had on my M1911 with two extra mags. She was armed too. Neither one of us drew or threatened one another. I paid the ticket, lesson learned.

Another time an acquaintance of a friend was introduced to me. He was told, "Gene is a Libertarian".

The friend said, "I ought to kill you for that. Libertarians are freaks".

I stood there and smiled. So did the rest of the group. Of course I was annoyed but he was coming across like an entitled jerk. I said, "That's your opinion" and let the subject drop.

Later his friends told him, "He was carrying a handgun when you said that to him".

The kid said, "Why didn't you warn me? He could have killed me!".

I was amazed at his reaction. Why on Earth would I murder someone for what they said to me?

On the other hand one day I was in downtown Pittsburgh and some guy got up in my face demanding "money". I was reaching for the piece when he went' "Whoa, it's cool, it's cool!". Just reacted out of habit - threat in my space, go for the piece.

I was so embarrassed at being caught flat footed that I gave him five dollars and walked away. He thought it was funny. I was mortified. Today I'm glad that I did not draw on him and waste him. Been a tragic mistake.

Gene

Last edited by GeneW; 11-22-2008 at 07:58 PM.
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #169
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret.
Ambrose Bierce

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
Old 11-27-2008, 02:46 AM   #170
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Look at the crap we have to go through to get a firearms license in Australia.

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retriev...&status=active

15 pages of hoops to jump through and fill out. Is this the same as your country?

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:49 AM   #171
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Oh and keep in mind you cant get a concealed weapons permit here and if you want to have a gun you need to have a safe that weighs 150kg+ or it has to be bolted into your premisis and you cant have your gun loaded in your own home and your gun and ammo have to kept in two seperate safes in two seperate rooms.

GOD BLESS AMERICA and there right to bare arms!

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:54 AM   #172
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Suggest you look in the mirror if you are looking for a bigot, Gene.
'Nuff said - I'm out of this thread. Have fun arguing, boys.
Let's revisit the remark in question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
When folks hear of concealed carry of a deadly weapon, whether it is a pistol in the US, or a knife in the UK, they think "That person is up to no good".
Okay, let's reframe your remark, changing only the subject of the sentence and possible incidental scenery.

When folks see of a young minority male running down the street, whether
he's in the US or in the UK, they tend to think "That person is up to no good".

When folks hear of a group of white males with shaved heads, whether they're in the US or the UK, they tend to think "Those persons are up to no good".

How does your remark look in another venue? Sounds pretty bigoted to me.

I work with dozens of men and women who carry concealed knives at work. About half of the people work I work to whom I speak to have concealed carry permits. Do I work in a den of iniquity? I think not.

Hence I call your remark 'Bigoted Rubbish".

Sorry to offend you, but I think that prejudice deserves to met "head on".

Gene
Old 11-27-2008, 03:59 AM   #173
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
Oh and keep in mind you cant get a concealed weapons permit here and if you want to have a gun you need to have a safe that weighs 150kg+ or it has to be bolted into your premisis and you cant have your gun loaded in your own home and your gun and ammo have to kept in two seperate safes in two seperate rooms.
Which essentially means that your firearms not to be used for personal defense.... and you own them at the sufferance of the State. Any time some dumbass in Sidney can order them hauled in, like they did the Ugly Guns after what happened in Tasmania (and that guy would not have been allowed to own firearms in the US.... ). You are one mass shooting away, one act of an hysterical Assembly or Parliament, away from having your stuff confiscated.

The basis of our Republic was that the Government took its powers from the consent of the governed. You cannot give consent if you do not have the power to take that consent back. Not any one of us but most of us....

This is a radical idea. Possibly even terroristic in this day and age.

Gene
Old 12-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #174
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
It's a sickness...

Hello, my name is Mad Max, and I am a 1911-oholic!

Went to the big monthly gun show today, wasn't expecting much as Saturdays are when the hords hit and all the good deals get lapped up. But, was out wheeling with the Jeep club yesterday, so we couldn't make it until today. Got there early, and the place was vacant; about one-third of the vendors weren't there at opening. I guess the good people were at church! Still, walked around just to see what was there. Most assault rifles were overpriced, the Yugo underfold I bought a year ago is now 50% more. Even crappy Romanian WASR-10s, which were running $300-350 a few months ago were close to $700! And people were snagging them left and right. It was pathetic. The dealers are capitalizing on Obama fears, and I lost count of the number of times I heard them pitching how much prices were gonna go up in January. It's BS profiteering, and I am not falling for it.

But, I was contemplating another Springfield 1911, this time a Mil-Spec in stainless steel, to round out my collection. I have a black stainless Loaded Target, a Lightweight Operator in Armory Kote, a Parkerized GI, and felt a stainless would go well with that crowd. Unfortunately, all I could find was another Loaded with combat sights (but not night sights). It was sweet looking, so I grabbed it...

And here are the "gang of four"...

Sorry for the crap pictures but they were quickly taken before the wife dragged us all out grocery shopping. I haven't even broken it down and cleaned out the excess oil; but I hope I can get out to the range this week and shoot 'em all.

A word of caution, having open spaces in your gun safe will drive you to purchases like this. That, and a wife that gives you the 'cleared hot' everytime you ask about buying a new gun (God bless her!). But that's it for a while, prices are too crazy and I think I am going to focus on storing up some ammo just in case there are more taxes imposed on it. However, I did see a nice Webley .455 chambered in .45 Colt that was only $500...

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #175
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Some nice weapons.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
Old 12-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #176
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Actually, if you pull a gun in public you'll probably go to jail.
Actually here in Ohio, any Ohio resident is permitted to have a holstered sidearm if in plain site
you only need a CCW to conceal your weapon
Old 12-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #177
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Same in Georgia.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #178
JBIZZ

Drives: 2007 Liftback white
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
well I guess that's what your Constitution is all about... freedoms, but with freedoms come obligations and consequences. And don't get me wrong I'm not judging anyone who carries a weapon , I'm just trying to understand your position and also why the US more dangerous than let's say Canada (we're probably just too cold to care lol).
Believe it or not, statistics show that crime increases in hotter weather.
JBIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #179
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Why A Gun Is Better Than A Girlfriend

1. You can trade in your old 44 for a new 22.
2. You can have one gun at home and another when you're on the road.
3. If you admire a friend's gun and tell him so, he'll probably let you try it out.
4. One gun doesn't mind if you keep another gun for a backup.
5. Your gun stays with you even when you run out of ammo.
6. Guns don't take up much closet space.
7. Guns function normally every day of the month.
8. Your gun will never ask, "Do these new grips make me look fat?"
9. A gun doesn't mind when you go to sleep after using it.
10. AND, you can buy a silencer for a gun!
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #180
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
My buddy just picked up a .308 CV sniper rifle w/ a $600 scope. God help the watermelons we'll be buying this summer.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote