Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Safety, Critical Alert

I got a warning ticket from Arizona DPS for two reasons. 1) I'd been driving for 30 hours. 2) The day time running lights on my '08 HB don't turn on the tail lights.
After my second pull-off nap on the way home I started the engine, the day time running lights kicked on and I didn't notice that the lights on the radio and heater controls weren't on. That would be the tired drivers clue that the tail lights weren't on. I signed off on the citations corrective action block after I had down loaded the DIY on disabling the daytime running lights and had pulled the connector plug off of the relay inside the dash.
Now when its dark enough to see headlights I have to turn on the lights. No head/lights and/or tail lights on is the LEO's most often probable cause for a DUI check. Luckily all my paper work and permits were in order. Moderator, please bump and/or sticky.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
yeah that is one of the pitfalls of DRLs... Heck even without them, in a well-lit city, it's easy to forget to turn on the lights at all

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Daytime running lights dont usually include having the tail lights on at the same time.This cop you ran into sounds like he wasnt up on his facts . and how did he know you were driving for 30hrs?you didnt tell him did you?,actually its only truck/commercial drivers who are compelled to drive only a certain number of hours a day,So his warning was probably more a suggestion to get some sleep and his take on no tail lights with the drl's was probably just an observation, of course if its night time you have to turn on your headlights to get the tail lights working.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshark View Post
I got a warning ticket from Arizona DPS for two reasons. 1) I'd been driving for 30 hours.
You can drive for 30 hours without leaving Arizona??

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo
yeah that is one of the pitfalls of DRLs...
And it's even worse on the Yaris because the instrument panel is always lit.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshark View Post
I got a warning ticket from Arizona DPS for two reasons. 1) I'd been driving for 30 hours. 2) The day time running lights on my '08 HB don't turn on the tail lights.
After my second pull-off nap on the way home I started the engine, the day time running lights kicked on and I didn't notice that the lights on the radio and heater controls weren't on. That would be the tired drivers clue that the tail lights weren't on. I signed off on the citations corrective action block after I had down loaded the DIY on disabling the daytime running lights and had pulled the connector plug off of the relay inside the dash.
Now when its dark enough to see headlights I have to turn on the lights. No head/lights and/or tail lights on is the LEO's most often probable cause for a DUI check. Luckily all my paper work and permits were in order. Moderator, please bump and/or sticky.

So...you disabled a safety feature for safety reasons (because you're forgetful).
Are DRL's not mandated in AZ? They are here in Canada, and have been since the 80's.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
kou

Drives: 08 lb
i set up my tach light to come on with the headlights,this helps me never forget.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Your 08 HB has DRLs? Mine doesn't! I was wishing I had them, as my last car did; but now I am thinking it may not be the greatest option on the car.

And, of course, there is that little light on the instrument cluster when the lights are on!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Your 08 HB has DRLs? Mine doesn't! I was wishing I had them, as my last car did; but now I am thinking it may not be the greatest option on the car.

And, of course, there is that little light on the instrument cluster when the lights are on!

Cheers! M2
they aren't standard???

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Good reason not to start screwin' around with safety features.
I love my DRLs
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:00 AM   #10
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
So...you disabled a safety feature for safety reasons (because you're forgetful).
Are DRL's not mandated in AZ? They are here in Canada, and have been since the 80's.
Not exactly. They are mandated to be installed on new vehicles. But there isn't a Canadian law against disabling them. (Individual provinces could have legislation about DRL.)

Also, I suppose you have to weigh the risk of being rear ended because you didn't turn on the lights due to the headlights being on. I know I've forgotten to turn the lights on because I could see in front of me and read the instrument panel.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:19 AM   #11
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
I remember pre-hack someone mentioned that DRLs in the U.S. came with some kind of cold weather package. Not quite sure what is in a cold weather package. A sweater?

My Californial LB did not come with DRL.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #12
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
The cold weather pack includes the rear wiper, a bigger starter, rear window defrost, and a couple of other little odds and ends. My wife and I bought our Yarii in NYC, so the cold weather pack was almost standard equipment.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #13
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
The cold weather pack can be easilly checked for in the US: Do you have a 'low windshield wiper fluid' light? You have the cold weather pack. It also includes a MUCH larger washer-fluid tank, able to gulp down an entire 1-gallon bottle of fluid from a gas station at a go once the low-fluid light turns on.

It also comes with a somewhat akward-to-utilize but awesome feature: The ceramic block heater. Turn on the car and leave it at idle, with the temperature at full, and you have positively scalding heat even with the engine bone-cold. :-) It's not mentioned in the owner's manual, but it's in the workshop manuals on what triggers it: Engine idle, coolant cold, ambient temperature under about 50F, you get artificial heating.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Here's the details right off my build sheet;
PS: the power pkg. is worth every cent...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04223.JPG (136.6 KB, 271 views)
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #15
dybbuk

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I hope people aren't confusing DRL's with auto-lights. My old grand am had drl's like everybody else, but, headlights would kick on automatically when it got dark enough, now those I can stand. DRL's I hate, I think they do more damage then good. Of course I keep my dash cluster turned down so it's at it's dimmest light, so if the dash lights start bothering me, I know my headlights aren't on.
dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #16
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
I agree with dybbuk, DRL's by themselves do more harm than good because they teach you to ignore your lights, but don't turn on the most important ones, proper headlights and taillights, at night. Actual fully-automated headlight systems? Those I have no problem with.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #17
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
how could they do more damages than good ? they are made so that OTHERS can see you are coming... otherwise, can you believe how many accidents happen in a dim morning? people don't turn on their light.. so you don't see when they are coming.

i say the biggest problem is the backlit clusters. They are always on, so you think your lights are on.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #18
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
a good habit to get into is turning your lights on EVERY TIME you get in your car, day or night.. DRLs save lives. i agree, having DRLs suck (i disabled mine in my corolla) but having your lights off raises your chances of getting pulled out in front of or cut off, even during the day. this goes especially for black/grey cars..

and please, no one say you're doing it to save electricity/gas mileage lmfao
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote