Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Chocobo87

Drives: 2012 Blazing Blue Yaris(Auto)
My Yaris MPG

My MPG is terrible! I have to guess it is because it is a new car? I am on my 4th tank of gas half way though with ~1350 miles on it.

I am averaging about 30.5 mpg...

HELPS!

Also how do I remove the front license plate bolts? thanks lol
Chocobo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
First of all, what kind of driving do you do? Long trips, short commutes, stop-and-go traffic? Since you live in "the suburbs of LA," I suspect some of the problem may simply be where you drive and the kind of traffic you encounter.

Secondly, is your Yaris a manual or automatic? If the former, are you sure you're shifting at the optimal RPMs? If the latter, are you sure you're not accidentally knocking it from 'D' to '3'? It's a common mistake among new Yaris owners.

Thirdly, have you checked the air pressure in the tires? Dealers normally under-inflate them to give a better ride (no one checks the gas mileage during test drives). Make sure they are properly inflated, it can make a difference.

Fourthly, many people do note a slight increase in gas mileage after the first oil change (at 5000 miles). I don't know if that is because many convert to better (synthetic) oils or what, but it is common to notice a bit of a bump after that maintenance interval.

Lastly, are you hauling a lot of stuff or people during most of your driving? The Yaris has a small (1.5L) engine, and the more it has to carry the more fuel it has to consume.

As for the license plate bolts, they are just drilled through the plastic and foam of the bumper. If they aren't coming out, they may be stripped; but they should just screw out.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Yaris!

Cheers! M2
Old 12-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
Chocobo87

Drives: 2012 Blazing Blue Yaris(Auto)
First of all, what kind of driving do you do? Long trips, short commutes, stop-and-go traffic? Since you live in "the suburbs of LA," I suspect some of the problem may simply be where you drive and the kind of traffic you encounter.

At first I would drive at 80 mph cruise control, but then I realized it was bad. I shifted to 65 mph and it is like 2 mpg boost.

Secondly, is your Yaris a manual or automatic? If the former, are you sure you're shifting at the optimal RPMs? If the latter, are you sure you're not accidentally knocking it from 'D' to '3'? It's a common mistake among new Yaris owners.

It is a 5 dr LE auto. I make sure it is in D :D I listen to the revs, so I know I am not going into high RPMs.

Thirdly, have you checked the air pressure in the tires? Dealers normally under-inflate them to give a better ride (no one checks the gas mileage during test drives). Make sure they are properly inflated, it can make a difference.

I have not checked this yet, but what is the optimal PSI?

EDIT: Checked. 36.5 PSI all around.

Fourthly, many people do note a slight increase in gas mileage after the first oil change (at 5000 miles). I don't know if that is because many convert to better (synthetic) oils or what, but it is common to notice a bit of a bump after that maintenance interval.

Duly noted ^_^ What synthetic would you recommend?

Lastly, are you hauling a lot of stuff or people during most of your driving? The Yaris has a small (1.5L) engine, and the more it has to carry the more fuel it has to consume.

Everything is empty, but myself and maybe one other.

As for the license plate bolts, they are just drilled through the plastic and foam of the bumper. If they aren't coming out, they may be stripped; but they should just screw out.

There is a black cap over the screws or something because I can not see any screws, but the black thing over where the screws are supposed to be.

EDIT: Popped out the black caps with a Flathead lol. Everything is good to go.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Yaris!

Thank you :D

Cheers! M2

Should I fill up gas with 87 octane or 89?

Last edited by Chocobo87; 01-17-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Chocobo87 is offline   Reply With Quote