Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2007, 02:21 AM   #1
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Just a good, wholesome story

There is no "I'm a Dumbass" forum, so I decided to put this here.

Let this be a warning to all of you with manual locks on this car.

I get home at midnight tonight after a nice night of rocking out on the drums (yes, I play everything) and a beer or two. Well, I decide I am going to pack my computer up and go out to my buddy's house because we're probably the only two idiots that do homework when most people are sleeping. I pull into my driveway and bust a nice half-donut and park it in neutral. I figure I'll leave it running while I'm packing up since I'd only be a few minutes. I hop out of the car and lock the door...

Oh shit, I just locked the door.

Hatch is locked. Passenger door is locked. Spare? I was using them... thats right, them. Two keys hang from the ignition. Of course I lost my keys for the first time in my life a week ago, and I didn't think to take one key off the spare ring and throw it in my drawer just in case. OK, calm down. I call AAA. I made a point to tell them the car was running, but when the guy gets there an hour later he said they didn't mention it. Figures. He also said they're backed up because everyone and their sister got into an accident in the past 24 hours. Also figures. He looks at the door and gets this look on his face like he just popped open a Chinese dictionary. That and the fact that this guy had meth face had me thinking I was SOL. He put the pink stick in the door for all of 5 seconds before calling bossie and bailing out of that one. Time for plan B.

Chino called the cops voluntarily? Man, this is a weird night.

Thank goodness the coolest cop ever came to the house. I couldn't have dealt with one of those snoody moustached fucks. I was freezing and frustrated as it was. Well, the cop got there in 10 minutes and I gave him the run down. First he tried a pink stick... passenger and driver side. Nothing. Then he went for the power window switches, but again nothing. I haven't actually got around to mounting them yet, so they moved every time he put pressure on them. Then he busted out the slim jim. At this point we have been poking things into the Yaris for 45 minutes and my car had been running for a solid 2 hours without moving a bit. BailOut, stop crying you hippy.

I was ready to stop freezing my sack off. I finally asked him to just pop the hood. That was easy enough. I disconnected the MAF sensor. That killed the engine. Then I disconnected the battery. At that point I literally walked upstairs, went into my room and made this kind of laughing-crying sound you only hear from psychopaths and the like. Then I sat down and started typing.

The good news? Our cars are a pain in the ASS to break into. Between the smooth plastic surface on the lock mechanism and the cable system, its going to take more than your ordinary thief to break into this car without smashing the window.

The bad news? I burnt gas for 2 hours for no reason, and if any of us ever lock our keys in the car we're SCREWED!

Fun story, isn't it?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:30 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Oh man, tough luck... So that means your car is still locked?

But how did you lock the door when getting out in the first place?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:32 AM   #3
ChinoCharles
Banned

I just opened the door and locked it. Force of habit from exiting the car.

And yes, they're still in there.

I have to call the dealership at 8:59 in the morning to get another key made. Yayyyyy. Now I'll have three. I'm going to sprinkle them around the scenery of my life like anti-moron confetti.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:35 AM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Would a new key or a new window be cheaper?

This little story does make me think, though, where the hell are my spare keys...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:40 AM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Main reason I posted it... trust me, this isn't the most flattering thing on earth, but hopefully someone learns from it and avoids making the same stupid, time consuming, costly (did I mention stupid?) mistake I did.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:34 AM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
wow...pretty hard night. but that was funny when you mentioned BailOut's name. heh.

but yeah, for me, spares are pointless if i'm not at home. what's the point if you're out with the master key, say at Hooters, and you lock yourself out. the spares are at home, and your stuck outside your car.

*i have no clue why i said Hooters...i'm damn tired right now, and i'm sick and tired of studying all the time! and i already know what you're going to say, Chino...how do i have the time to post-whore...lol...
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:39 AM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
speaking of locks and keys...watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr23tpWX8lM
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Good thing it's lunchtime around here or my coworkers would be wondering what all the laughing is about! That's a great story! Sucks you had a rough night, but hey, at least you entertained US!

~YR
Old 04-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

I got my replacement key, so I'm back in. I also had the worlds largest Chipotle burrito. I am once again complete.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Wow, that sucks but glad things worked out for you. You should just put a spare set of keys on ebay and if you lock your others just order those

Okay that didn't make sense.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #11
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
I got my replacement key, so I'm back in. I also had the worlds largest Chipotle burrito. I am once again complete.
how much are duplicate Toyota keys when cut off the VIN?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #12
MWill517

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan Barcelona Red
lol, gave me a flashback to the first week I had my sedan. I usually carry a spare key in my wallet. But..the key I pulled from my wallet was the one for my previous vehicle that was totaled the weeks before...duh....never swapped them out.
Car wasn't running though. Firestation was really close. I had a buddy walk down and ask if one of them could come unlock my car. He came back and said someone would be there in a few minutes. Next thing I know here comes a huge ladder truck with 5 firemen. They all come pileing out of this huge truck, one with the long pole and a small wedge. I have to hand it to him, he was in the car in less than two minutes. But managed to scuff the inside door jam. I was happy to be back in my car, but a little pissed about the scratch.
What I learned from that.....put the correct damn key in my wallet.
MWill517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Hahahahahaha....

Sucks to be you Chino...

You know a Wise man once said...

Life is a bitch and then you die...

still tryin' to get a peace of the apple pie
every game ain't the same, coz the game still remains
don't it seem kinda strange, ain't a damn thing change
if you don't work then you don't eat
and only down-ass niggas can ride with me
hop-hop-hop your five quickly down the block
stay sucka-free and keep the busters off your jock
you gotta have heart son, if you wanna go,
watch this sweet chariot swing low
ain´t nobody cryin` ain´t nobody dyin
ain´t nobody worryin', everybody ´s tryin
nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
if you wanna have something, you better start frontin'
what ya gonna do when the 5 roll by
you better be ready, so you can ride

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #14
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
so you don't get the credit card key with the auto lock? I have a credit card key in my wallet but mine is manual
Old 04-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #15
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
so you don't get the credit card key with the auto lock? I have a credit card key in my wallet but mine is manual
what are you talkin about?
Chino and I both drive manuals, and I know all I got was 3 identical keys to my car
Old 04-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #16
ChinoCharles
Banned

The new key was 3 bucks and change. No biggy.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 PM   #17
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
what are you talkin about?
Chino and I both drive manuals, and I know all I got was 3 identical keys to my car

yeah, I have manual locks

dealer gave me 3 spares (regular keys)

they also gave me a key that is on a plastic credit card, you just flex it out and it will work in the door, not sure if it will turn the engine on I haven't ever tried it in the ignition

that way you can keep a spare in your wallet all the time, I though this was a standard thing
Old 04-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #18
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

yup, card key starts the engine too, i just tried it