Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #1
txprsn

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Unhappy Will interest rate go up if i cancel extended warranty?

I bought a Yaris and decided that the extended warranty doesnt really cover much. I want to cancel it but Im concerned that the interest rates will go up. When we were signing the paperwork I was told by the finance person at the dealer that if I didnt get the warranty that my interest would increase by 1.4% and thus my monthly payment would almost be the same as if I had the warranty.

Can they increase the interest rate after signing the contract with a specific interest rate?
txprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
@ssholes... outrageous!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:29 AM   #3
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Thats a gimmick used to sell the extended warranty. They get commission for selling those. No, they cant raise your interest rate after the paperwork is done, not if its set in print. The rate is between you and the bank and he negotiates it. They tried to do that on my last car and I told him if he can get the rate with it, he can get it without it, he said he cant, so I told him I'll find someone who can and got up to leave. He asked me to hang on......I'll be darned ! He COULD get it! Amazing!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
dingbat

Drives: '10 3D Liftback
You got played.

Best thing to do at this point is to drive the car through their showroom window, calmly get out, and tell them you'd like to renegotiate.

Last edited by dingbat; 05-17-2010 at 05:38 PM.
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Just cancel it. I got about $900 knocked off the loan, about 1 month after I bought the car. I also got pressured/fooled into buying it.

You have to type a letter to an address in your paperwork, with your milage and cancellation request and such.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
txprsn

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
I went in there and canceled it. Since it was within 30 days I will be refunded 100% (per Texas law) with no penalty and interest rate will not change.

I expected more fight from the dealer but they did not give me much trouble. I do not like that I got lied, but realize 99.9% of dealerships and car sales people will try anything to sell, it is my responsibility to be prepared: lesson learned. Still shame on them.

I paid 12,300 for a 2009 Yaris Sedan, power package, mats, mp3 player input jack, abs, 2 "keyless" remotes w/ keys, and free oil changes for the life of the car. It's also a certified pre-owned. In my area there aren't many yaris with these features for less than 12K. Only down is 30K miles though.

On the up side, when I went in I saw the sales person that sold us the car and told him I had lost a hubcap...and out of nowhere he got me one for free. Those damn things are $20 used each or $97 from Toyota.
txprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Check eBay for the hubcaps if you ever need one. I think they are something like $40 apiece and are supposed to be authentic Toyota wheel covers.

I decided that I didn't even want to spend that much, so I will just live with one scratched up hubcap.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Yes,the salesman pulled some BS on-ya'.The interest rate has nothing to do with warranties.Check your paperwork and make sure theres nothing "in-there" he/she added to screw you again if you cancel the coverage!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote