Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #91
thatbryanguy

Drives: Yaris 3dr hatch
Just took it to the shop and they say no leaky gasket or anything. Just got a bunch of misfire codes popping up again...ugh. Did a really quick idle test with the FIC bypassed and it idled fine. I just don't understand how it does fine for a month then suddenly decides to have issues. I'm currently sitting in my car right now and all of a sudden cant get it to die out like its been doing. What in the world is up with this car!
thatbryanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #92
mario98c

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 09 STD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatbryanguy View Post
Just took it to the shop and they say no leaky gasket or anything. Just got a bunch of misfire codes popping up again...ugh. Did a really quick idle test with the FIC bypassed and it idled fine. I just don't understand how it does fine for a month then suddenly decides to have issues. I'm currently sitting in my car right now and all of a sudden cant get it to die out like its been doing. What in the world is up with this car!
Get rid of the Fic and buy an standalone ecu. Boomslang make the pulg and play harness for the aem ems-4.
http://www.boomslang.us/aem-ems-4.ph...id=2&trans=all
Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #93
thatbryanguy

Yea if I had a couple thousand bucks laying around I woulda done that already :/ on my current budget I kinda have to work with what I've got at the moment. Maybe one day I'll save up to get something like that but that's not a possibility in the near future
Old 08-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #94
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Standaoone wont pass emissions either

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #95
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Hopefully you will get it hammered out soon bud. Just curious...do you have emissions testing in SC?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #96
thatbryanguy

Nah no emissions in SC luckily. I'm gonna rework some of my sloppy wiring and tidy a bunch of stuff up and then go from there tomorrow. I've got some bad wiring habits that left my work needing to be redone so if anything strange dealing with electrical issues is going on I may be able to find it this way. By the way...my climate control knob lights are all out. Anyone know which fuse that is off hand?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #97
DKN-YARIS

Drives: YARIS HB
Quote:
The white plumes of smoke here and there freak me out in thinking my head gasket is leaking coolant in...my coolant levels are low but I haven't checked that in a good while so I'm not sure how long it's been low like that. Guess ill top off the coolant and see where it goes in the next few days
I get this problem still, as i'm using 1zz injectors and having the FIC it dumps ALOT of extra fuel as I still have a hard time cranking the vehicle, mostly 2-3 tries before it starts. no stalling at all.

IF you are still getting the stalling with the FIC plugged in and only when under heavy load. try clearing all your maps and running all 3 firmwares. I was getting stalling even when all the maps where 0 and I found that z110 works the best for me. 107 didn't stall but gave me all kinds of CEL.
DKN-YARIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #98
thatbryanguy

Well I'm about to get it smoked for a vacuum leak first then try messing with the FIC. Problem being all I have are Macs and no PC's so I can't readily use the AEM software at my house. I'm hoping its a small vacuum leak now just so I can fix that and be done with this mess. I just realized last night one big reason I think it may also be a vacuum leak is all this started almost immediately after installing my boost gauge so maybe I have a tiny hole in the gauge line or I messed something up while splicing it into the FIC's hose line. We'll see after the smoke test in the morning though
Old 09-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #99
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
It has to be a pretty large vacuum leak to be causing misfires. If nothing shows up, make sure you check the bov while the engine is running (hold your hand over the outlet and/or kink the manifold reference line).
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #100
thatbryanguy

It hasn't been misfiring since I replaced the plugs except for that one time I started it up and all those codes just popped up but haven't seen them again since. I sprayed some carb cleaner all around any areas in the intake system with the engine running and no change or reaction in idle. I haven't had the chance to take my a-pillar off and check the whole boost gauge line yet though and I haven't checked the actual BOV yet either. After that CTScott suggested possibly the alternator dying under voltage load or something along those lines but I've been to 4 places to get the battery and alternator tested and they all say its good.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #101
DKN-YARIS

I can pretty much say that i tried pretty much all of what you are trying as i'm at a shop all the time. For those of us that have or had stalling issues with the FIC is that when its bypassed, EVERYTHING runs fine. has nothing to do with any leaks related to the install. If the car runs fine when FIC is bypassed, safe to say its related to the FIC unit itself and possibly other items when tuning at WOT.

When trying to figure out where to start i looked at all the options possible and put it down on pen and paper and started to eliminate factors one at a time. As i have corrected the stall issue now and after months of driving and even going on track, no issues at all...

As stalling shouldn't (and didn't happen for me) when the FIC is bypassed, it lead me to believe that during feedback mode, the stock ECM was having a hard time with the readings from what i could see on my AFR gauge as it was running pig rich. After i knocked all the maps back to 0, i ONLY adjusted the areas in boost and left everything outside of boost and during idle to 0 so the stock ECM can do what it needs as the ratio can't be too far off from what the stock ECM is programmed for.

Keep in mind, I was adjusting my injector response timing to 810us and left it at that. Firmware is the other buggy thing you will have to play with along the way. Thanks to CTScott who did help me along the way with a lot of answers based on what he had seen with this type of setup.

If i use z104, car runs fine but still stalls EVEN at right after start up at idle.
If i use z107, car doesn't run at all, starts, engine has CEL and misfire like crazy.
z110 has been the only working option i have considering the other 2 give me issue right off the bat.

the only issues i still have are:

hard cranking (2-3 cranks) this is clearly a noted problem with AEM and noise in the lines not giving off the right signal (even with the Boomslang harness)

White smoke at cold start up (smokes does go away after the cat is heated up)

CELs only come on after a series of attempts to start the vehicle, i'll get a cam position sensor error.

I've gotten maybe once a misfire code on my way to track but that is partial throttle the entire way and i've changed my plugs, i suspect the gap may need to be adjusted to hopefully correct that...

Even after a good month of running with no problems, i changed out the radiator with a Mishimoto rad, slim fan (puller) AND a pusher fan in front as the shroud from Mishimoto gave me some overheating issues when i had the A/C and even with a full load on the car, no stalling.

I hope you figure out what the stalling problem is as i know what it feels like and hope to save you as much time as possible!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #102
thatbryanguy

Yea I haven't been able to mess with the FIC because of only having Mac's in my house. If have to get some time to borrow my brothers PC to make adjustments. And I haven't done a real test to see if bypassing the FIC alleviates the stalling issue, I bypassed it for a few mins in the driveway and it didn't stall but I didn't take it for a drive yet. I'll definitely be trying many of these things tomorrow though if I can. Thanks a bunch for the advice though! I'm running out of possible solutions haha
Old 09-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #103
DKN-YARIS

Ya, i'm hoping I can figure out what the root cause of the white smoke is as well. if its the injector setup there isn't much I can do as my tune is already at 90% duty cycle on larger injectors so the stock ones won't keep up for sure.

Did you also swap our your injectors?
Old 09-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #104
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
white smoke *could be oil backing up in the return line.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #105
DKN-YARIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
white smoke *could be oil backing up in the return line.
Would shortening the return line make any difference?

I tapped my block and got lazy during install and decided to not cut the line that came with the Zage kit but rather I just made it loop and everything fits haha.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #106
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
It's not the length, it's the angle. It must be "downhill" to the pan, or if you did the fitting in the block you are probably ok (but there shouldn't be a low spot)
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #107
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKN-YARIS View Post
Would shortening the return line make any difference?

I tapped my block and got lazy during install and decided to not cut the line that came with the Zage kit but rather I just made it loop and everything fits haha.
At the risk of sounding like a jerk the words "lazy" and "turbo" or "supercharger" should never be in the same conversation. That return line really needs to be a direct shot from point A to point B with no loops, etc.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #108
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
After that CTScott suggested possibly the alternator dying under voltage load or something along those lines but I've been to 4 places to get the battery and alternator tested and they all say its good.

Any of those places an actual alternator/engine electrical specialty shop?

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote