Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-20-2007, 09:53 AM   #19
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
Once one of you guys get a setup like this up and running, Ohio is just a short day drive for me, I'd love to see it/replicate it. Keep us posted please...
Ohio is where it's at!

Funny thing is most of the good idea's for our cars is coming out of the mid-west.... For god's sake all I have to say is... CHINOCHARLES....

and thanks to ZPI in KY for the Turbo kit
Redline Tuning in MI and me in OH, for the Hood Lift
Chino in OH, the whole driving force behind the NST pulley's and SSK, and the elusive Chinotake
Joey in OH, working on another turbo kit

I am unsure who got the whole Megan racing header prototype started way back when... but for those of us who got em... we thank you for that
Old 06-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #20
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
Alright... here's my thoughts:

This is the compression map for a GT2056, 55 trim... probably the same or close to what you have. Now, if you're hoping to make 150 HP at the crank, and we assume a few things like air/fuel ratio of 12:1, and fuel consumption (BSFC) of 0.6, then your actual airflow will be about 18 lb/min. Depending on the actual air/fuel ratio or fuel consumption, this could actually be anywhere from about 16 lb/min to 20 lb/min.

Next, to figure out the Manifold Absolute Pressure, we take the airflow value of 18 lb/min, and a few other things:
  • gas constant = 639.6
  • intake manifold temp = 130 F (assumed)
  • volumetric efficiency = 96% (assumed)
  • engine speed = 6,400 RPM
  • engine displacement = 1,500cc
Plug all that into a equation, and get a MAP of about 24, but could be anywhere from 21.5 to 26.6 or so. Subtract ambient air pressure (14.7 psi), and add a few psi for pressure loss due to piping and air filter restrictions, and you're looking at a pressure ratio of about 1.9 (could be 1.7 to about 2.1).

Whew!

Plotting 18 lb/min and 1.9 pressure ratio on the graph, and you're looking pretty good. Pretty far from the choke line on the right... and just off the biggest efficiency island at full RPM. If we replug in some numbers to find out airflow @ 3,000 RPM with the pressure ratio of 1.9, we get 8.5 lb/min, so just barely inside the surge line on the left.

So these are just the numbers... interpreting them is not my thing. It looks like this turbo would be good for high RPM operation, but might have a bit of lag. I don't know. But good luck... I'll be following this project with much anticipation!!

BTW, all these equations and stuff I learnt came from Garrett's website, and building an Excel spreadsheet to help play around with values.
Way to crunch the numbers!!!
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:02 PM   #21
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Seriously that was an awesome job at breaking everything down. I think thats how the zpi kit works as well though, or am I mistaken. To keep it daily driven, and to keep the gas mileage the same, they kept the boost off until like 3 grand. So you could do 65 all day long and keep it under where the boost really starts up.

To me thats the way Id go. Yes your going to have lag, but your also dealing with the lag of the crappy throttle response. Does the emanage speed that up?
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #22
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Ohio is where it's at!

Funny thing is most of the good idea's for our cars is coming out of the mid-west.... For god's sake all I have to say is... CHINOCHARLES....

and thanks to ZPI in KY for the Turbo kit
Redline Tuning in MI and me in OH, for the Hood Lift
Chino in OH, the whole driving force behind the NST pulley's and SSK, and the elusive Chinotake
Joey in OH, working on another turbo kit

I am unsure who got the whole Megan racing header prototype started way back when... but for those of us who got em... we thank you for that

wow, now that i look at your post i see that is weird that a lot of "midwesterners" are moding' the yaris with performance upgrades... kinda cool!

joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:22 AM   #23
WRBlue

Drives: Yaris 3 Door, 04 WRX, 69 Lotus
Quote:
Now, if you're hoping to make 150 HP at the crank, and we assume a few things like air/fuel ratio of 12:1, and fuel consumption (BSFC) of 0.6, then your actual airflow will be about 18 lb/min. Depending on the actual air/fuel ratio or fuel consumption, this could actually be anywhere from about 16 lb/min to 20 lb/min.

Next, to figure out the Manifold Absolute Pressure, we take the airflow value of 18 lb/min, and a few other things:
  • gas constant = 639.6
  • intake manifold temp = 130 F (assumed)
  • volumetric efficiency = 96% (assumed)
  • engine speed = 6,400 RPM
  • engine displacement = 1,500cc
Plug all that into a equation, and get a MAP of about 24, but could be anywhere from 21.5 to 26.6 or so. Subtract ambient air pressure (14.7 psi), and add a few psi for pressure loss due to piping and air filter restrictions, and you're looking at a pressure ratio of about 1.9 (could be 1.7 to about 2.1).

Whew!

Plotting 18 lb/min and 1.9 pressure ratio on the graph, and you're looking pretty good. Pretty far from the choke line on the right... and just off the biggest efficiency island at full RPM. If we replug in some numbers to find out airflow @ 3,000 RPM with the pressure ratio of 1.9, we get 8.5 lb/min, so just barely inside the surge line on the left.
I'm wondering where you got the mass flow rate of 18lb/min?
MFR = Di x CID x RPM/2 x Vol.Eff.
CID = Cubic Inches of Displacement = 61" per L or 91.5 for the Yaris
Vol. Eff = Volumetric Efficiency or how efficient the engine is. I only used 90%
Di = Intake Air Density = (Boost + 14.7) / (53.3 x 12 x (460 + Intake Temp))
I used boost at 7psi, so Di = 0.0000585
Using 6500 RPM, Mass Flow Rate = 15.66

Pressure Ratio = 1.54, assuming a 1psi IC Drop ((7+1+14.7)/14.7)

By my best drawing estimate, that puts it as efficient.
WRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:00 AM   #24
mandriu
11b1p

Drives: yaris s
I saw this t3/t4 turbo on ebay looks interesting. I was wondering if one could manipulate an XB turbo header into our yarii. I saw one somewhere that looked like it might.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3T4-...spagenameZWDVW
mandriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #25
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBlue View Post
I'm wondering where you got the mass flow rate of 18lb/min?
Alright... first off, all my equations for figuring this out came from this Garrett turbo page. According to them, to determing actual airflow (cutting and pasting from their site):

First calculate airflow:
Wa = HP * A/F * BSFC/60

Where:
· Wa = Airflowactual (lb/min)
· HP = Horsepower Target (flywheel)
· A/F= Air/Fuel Ratio
· BSFC/60 = Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (lb/Hp*hr ) ÷ 60 (to convert from hours to minutes)

(BSFC describes the fuel flow rate required to generate each horsepower. General values of BSFC for turbocharged gasoline engines range from 0.50 to 0.60 and higher. Lower BSFC means that the engine requires less fuel to generate a given horsepower. Race fuels and aggressive tuning are required to reach the low end of the BSFC range described above.)

So I got a Wa of 18 by taking 150 HP, an air/fuel ratio of 12, and a BSFC of 0.6:

Wa = 150 * 12 * 0.6/60 = 18.0 lb/min of air.

The next step (according to them) is to calculate the required manifold pressure to meet this horsepower. Again, cutting and pasting from their site:

Where:

· MAPreq = Manifold Absolute Pressure (psia) required to meet the horsepower target
· Wa = Airflowactual(lb/min)
· R = Gas Constant = 639.6
· Tm = Intake Manifold Temperature (degrees F)
· VE = Volumetric Efficiency
· N = Engine speed (RPM)
· Vd = engine displacement (Cubic Inches, convert from liters to CI by multiplying by 61.02, ex. 2.0 liters * 61.02 = 122 CI)

It then goes on to explain about pressure loss between the manifold and compressor, atmospheric effects, piping and filter restrictions and pressure loss there, and how to arrive at the final pressure ratio.

Hope that helps clear things up. I'm sure there are multiple ways of calculating these things out!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #26
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
small update.

got the stainless steel pipes from acestainless.com
2 90degree bends, 2 T's with 1.5" ID plus a 2" 1 foot extra for the connector.

also got the tC injectors from a hot chick at scionlife.com i'm not a member so i contacted her via myspace and she was really cool. set of 4 for $105 shipped(used) not bad in my opinion. check her out, plus her car, really nice. http://www.myspace.com/CYNCE
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #27
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
My head hurts, Bobby.
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #28
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
[ off topic ] Cynce is cool, I saw her Sunday at DCH Toyota, she got 1st Place tC and I got Best Motor for my tC. Her car is really nicely done.

[ back on topic ]

A lot of turbo lag can be controlled/eliminated via the choice of wastegate and boost controller.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:59 PM   #29
Vic-2NZFE

Drives: Yaris 2NZFE
Very interesting project, i would like to see the finished product on the near future.

It's a Vitz!
Vic-2NZFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #30
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
what about the garrett gt2554

http://www.turbo-kits.com/yaris_turbo_kits.html
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #31
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
For what it is worth, I ran the GT2056 on a yaris already with excellent results. System was internally wastegated and offered power gains as low as 2000 rom, reaching peak boost (5 psi) at 3100-3200 rpm. We have exceeded 180 wheel hp (at higher boost level) with this turbo already and will have no trouble reaching 200 wheel hp-though it is more efficent at lower pressure ratios. BTW-I ran a back-to-back comparison between this 2056 and a KO4 from the VW application on my turbo Sprint (for Bonneville). Turbo produced near identical boost curves with slight response nod going to VW. If you install the 2056 on your yaris, you'll be happy.
richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #32
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
subscribed =)
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #33
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
see thank you!! everyone thought i was insane for choosing smaller than a GT25, but for a small car like this with a 6300 rev limit it is somewhat on par.... That is why i am hooking up my K03 to the system if i need another project to do... the turbos are itty bitty
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #34
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
First off, I'm a turbo n00b... I only know what I've read and researched online. That being said, I have a feeling the GT25 will be too big. I've been looking into either a GT20 or GT17-sized turbo for the Yaris. Since our engines are only 1.5L, and redline @ 6,300-6,500 RPM, they can't flow too much air. The length of time needed to spool a GT25 up would mean it wouldn't be very streetable... i.e. slow response. Also, I think with this size of compressor, you'd possibly be operating near surge at lower RPM.

Anyhow... I don't know about the K03. I'll have to read about that. But ya, if you can find the compression map or specs for either or both of the turbos, some of the more experienced members here would be able to give you some solid advice!
i'm running at TD04 14G from a 2.0L subaru Legacy GT and i have full boost by 3500rpm.. that's plenty early
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote