Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Marketplace > Items for Sale by private party
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
TRD Helical LSD

Hey guys, i bought this on ebay last week bc it was a great deal, but i had no idea what it took to install it. It requires a near full transmission rebuild. Anyways, i have installed several RWD LSD's and thought this would be about as easy, although i should have looked into it before i bought it. If you have the skill or the money ($400-600 seems to be average installation cost), then it is a great deal.

After doing some research, i found that the xB tranny is identical to the yaris tranny, minus a couple extra bolt holes. The xB tranny has shorter gearing due to a 4.3 final gear, versus the 3.7 in the yaris box. After looking on scion life, alot of guys were intrested in having a taller gear, thus making the yaris gearbox a lucrative item to them. Anyways, what i would do is buy an xB transmission, have the LSD installed (or do it myself since you have all the time in the world), then swap the transmission out. Then sell your yaris tranny on scionlife.com. I would do it myself, but i live in a small apartment in charleston with no garage and little tools while i am in school. I do small jobs at a friends place, but something like this is a little much, especially starting a new research project. Again, i had every intention of a quick easy install, i just let my excitement get the best of me.

So here is the LSD as i bought it on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

so, hopefully someone here could use it quicker than i can. if i dont find anyone interested, ill just keep it and save it for when i finish school (year and half) but in the mean time, id rather get new brake pads, lines, and tires with this money.

I paid $650 for it, as you may or may not know, the TRD quaife helical retails for $1200-1400. Hence why i bought it in a hurry LOL! I would like to get that amount back since its a great deal, but i will entertain offers. Thanks guys!

Ken

(cliffs: bought LSD, no time or place to install, my loss = your gain)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LSD.JPG (21.3 KB, 649 views)
Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Is this new, in the box with all documentation?

: bump :
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Is this new, in the box with all documentation?

: bump :
i assume it is used, but it could pass as new on appearance. what kind of documentation would you like?

it does include the bearings though, so that saves a hell of alot of time.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
seems like a good deal!

http://www.4055design.com
Old 04-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
saplaymate

Drives: 08' HB
That's the one, best money I ever wasted n my car! and you don't have to take the whole tranny apart just lift the bell housing off.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saplaymate View Post
That's the one, best money I ever wasted n my car! and you don't have to take the whole tranny apart just lift the bell housing off.
seriously? ive heard it was a full rebuild. got pics of this?

i used to have a 240sx, the best mod i ever did to it was a helical diff from an S15 silvia. it transformed the car, best power/handling mod in general besides sticky tires.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
seriously? ive heard it was a full rebuild. got pics of this?

i used to have a 240sx, the best mod i ever did to it was a helical diff from an S15 silvia. it transformed the car, best power/handling mod in general besides sticky tires.
Its more work that just taking out the transmission but afaik it does not require a complete rebuild. Since the differential is located in the transmission, you'd have to crack the case open to get the lsd installed.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
Its more work that just taking out the transmission but afaik it does not require a complete rebuild. Since the differential is located in the transmission, you'd have to crack the case open to get the lsd installed.
ah ok, see i thought it was a full tear down. Thats good to know!

i was spoiled by the 240, dropping the rear end and putting the diff in was so easy. unfortunately, where i am at now in charleston, i dont have a place to work on the car. i was intending on going home and putting it in over a weekend, but school is just way to hectic. :(
Old 04-14-2009, 01:33 AM   #9
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
That's not just the 240, it's anything that's not transaxle based. 944, despite being front-engine rear-wheel-drive, have the same complexity our cars do to install an LSD because the rear end has the transmission wrapped around it.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:45 AM   #10
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
ah ok, see i thought it was a full tear down. Thats good to know!

i was spoiled by the 240, dropping the rear end and putting the diff in was so easy. unfortunately, where i am at now in charleston, i dont have a place to work on the car. i was intending on going home and putting it in over a weekend, but school is just way to hectic. :(
I remember my E30. 99% of RWDs out there are easy as heck.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:31 AM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I wonder if this will fit an xB
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #12
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

sale pending...
Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Sold!
Old 04-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
darn :P
Old 04-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbond View Post
darn :P
i hope he does a write up, i wanna see how it changes the handling...
Old 04-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #16
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
shouldn't "change" the handling just the amount of wheel spin when exiting corners :)
Old 04-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
shouldn't "change" the handling just the amount of wheel spin when exiting corners :)
the Helical diff i put on my 240 drastically changed the handling aspects of the car. The way you can apply the throttle changes, the way the wheels have power partitioned to them entering the corner changes, which all effect weight transfer and tire loading.

Do you watch F1? The drivers are constantly adjusting the electronics controlling the diff to alter the handling of the car. It is one of the few areas they can adjust on the fly and is tinkered with sometimes several times a lap. Watch the race sunday morning at 7, you will fall in love :D Toyota is having a decent start this year too...
Old 04-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #18
Mavix

Drives: '91 Hilux, '91 Cervo Mode
Oh don't worry, it'll get a full work out at the track.

Just need to get some documentation of the installation process or find someone who's done it before.
Closed Thread