Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Mounting a CB radio somewhere

Blah, I'm out of idea's and just wanted to bounce them off you guys and see if someone could come up with a better idea maybe.

Dilemma: Wanting to mount a CB radio in my Yaris somewhere.

Idea #1:
Somehow shoehorn a Midland 1001Z or Uniden Pro 520XL into the mini glovebox by the drivers knee. Will need to cut it pu to make it fit -- if it can fit at all. The Uniden is shorter, height and length wise.

Idea #2:
Hack a big hole in the center console, where the cubby is next to the emergency brake. I figure I could fit a more full featured CB radio there like a Galaxy DX 919 or something.

Idea #3:
Get a Cobra 75 WX ST. Yuck, stupid piece of junk. No features.

Idea #4:
Mount any CB radio on the dash with some 3M mega tape. But too much of a risk of theft.

Idea #5:
Mount any smaller radio underneath the temperature control knobs in that little cubby area. Space may be very limited though. Some preliminary measurements don't look very promising.

Idea #6:
Get a Cobra 18 WX ST II and put it in the dash. Pretty crappy radio though, however, it is the only CB out there that is very very close to a true DIN size. There is the Uniden Pro 538W, great radio, but it is 9 inches long + antenna connection in rear and wouldn't fit.

Idea #7:
Get the super slim Radioshack CB, and try to mount it above the rearview mirror. Should fit, but again, it's a really crappy radio with no features. Would also probably interfere with the cabin lights.

Idea #8:
Get a handheld CB radio? I don't even want to consider it, but just for the sake of exhausting all possible ideas, I'll put it up.

I just want a decent radio that I can fit somewhere with as little cutting as possible. Things I refuse to settle on: need to have RF gain and squelch. Bonuses that sweeten the deal: PA capability, NOAA weather stations, SSB, Mic gain, etc.

I'm tapped. I can't think anymore. I think the best option so far is to try and hack up my driver's side mitten box thing by my knee. If I destroy it, it can't be that expensive to replace... otherwise I'll just have instant access to my fuse panel. *shrug*

Anyone else have a better idea to suggest?
Old 03-06-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
My suggestion. Buy a cell phone :) j/k

My real suggestion. Go to a wrecker or wait till someone is parting out a wrecked Yaris on here and buy another center console and cut that up to put your cb in.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote