Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
ellenbetty
ellenbetty
 
ellenbetty's Avatar
 
Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Stow Ohio
Posts: 182
Extra light bulb in the head light assembly

Any one know what that extra light bulb in the head light assembly is for in the Yaris?
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
90tsi
 
90tsi's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 yaris
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: missouri
Posts: 555
if your talking about the little 194bulb in the corner. some people call them city lights.
90tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?
 
Shroomster's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90tsi View Post
if your talking about the little 194bulb in the corner. some people call them city lights.
some people, as in Toyota and their pamphlets.


they're the Yaris version of parking lights, if anyone uses that term anymore.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
RedRide
 
RedRide's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Middletown, NY
Posts: 1,463
Yes they are patrking lights. Why don't people use that "term any more"?

The pupose of them is for times when you want to have lights on but, not your headlights
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna
 
Kaotic Lazagna's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 9,873
I use "parking lights", but I never use "city lights". But yes, that wedge-bulb is the parking lights on the LB. A lot of people swap them out to bright-white LEDs for a better look.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
RedRide
 
RedRide's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Middletown, NY
Posts: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
I use "parking lights", but I never use "city lights". But yes, that wedge-bulb is the parking lights on the LB. A lot of people swap them out to bright-white LEDs for a better look.
I didn't have my Yaris more the two days before I swapped mine with hyper white "Polarge M4 B1 Hybirds", my favorite 194 bulb. . I just happend to have them on hand because I use them for my other car. They last a very long time (years) shine bright and look fantastic. I also changed the license plate light as it uses the same bulb.

I also have a set of "PIAA H4 Extreme White Plus" HL bulbs that I will install next week to complete the look.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb
 
Yaris Hilton's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA
Posts: 1,593
Smile

The term "parking lights" originated with the Model T Ford. The headlights were run off of the flywheel magneto and only worked with the engine running, meaning while driving. To provide marker lights warning of a stopped car on the side of the road, people installed battery powered "parking lights" that worked with the engine off.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?
 
Shroomster's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,999
sheesh I was only making a joke towards toyota and their attempt at changing the term....

lol
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
Sir A.Y. Atoyot
 
Sir A.Y. Atoyot's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 5-door
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Surrey, BC Canada
Posts: 176
From the WikiPedia article on automotive lighting:

Front position lamps (parking lamps)
Nighttime standing-vehicle conspicuity to the front is provided by front position lamps,[15] known as parking lamps or parking lights in North America,[5] and front sidelights in UK English,[19]. Despite the UK term, these are not the same as the sidemarker lights described below. The front position lamps may emit white or amber light in North America;[5] elsewhere in the world they must emit only white light.[15] Colloquial city light terminology for front position lamps[20] derives from the practice, formerly adhered to in cities like Moscow, London and Paris, of driving at night in built-up areas using these low-intensity lights rather than headlamps.[21] It is now illegal in many countries to drive a vehicle with parking lamps illuminated, unless the headlamps are also illuminated. The UK briefly required Dim-Dip lights, described below, in an attempt to optimize the level of light used at night in built-up areas.


Parking lamps on a Soviet 1974 Volga GAZ-24. In Russia, they are called "podfarniki" ("under-headlights") or "gabarite lights".
Since the late 1960s, front position lamps have been required to remain illuminated even when the headlamps are on, to maintain the visual signature of a dual-track vehicle to oncoming drivers in the event of headlamp burnout. Front position lamps worldwide produce between 4 and 125 candelas.[5][15][22]
In Germany, the StVZO (Road Traffic Licensing Regulations) calls for a different function also known as parking lamps: With the vehicle's ignition switched off, the operator may activate a low-intensity light at the front (white or amber) and rear (red) on either the left or the right side of the car. This function is used when parking in narrow unlit streets to provide parked-vehicle conspicuity to approaching drivers.[23] This function, which is optional under ECE and US regulations, is served passively and without power consumption in North America by the mandatory sidemarker retroreflectors.[5]
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
SailDesign
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: .
Posts: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Yes they are patrking lights. Why don't people use that "term any more"?

The pupose of them is for times when you want to have lights on but, not your headlights
Which is why a lot of people call them "side lights" ,not parking lights....
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!
 
Tamago's Avatar
 
Drives: ZZW30
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,890
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
I use "parking lights", but I never use "city lights". But yes, that wedge-bulb is the parking lights on the LB. A lot of people swap them out to bright-white LEDs for a better look.
dark amber also looks wicked coupled with HID's :)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
mrbond
 
mrbond's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 960
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
^ I can honestly say I've never seen that combination. Have any example pics?
__________________
- HOOOEY! That's one tahny little cawr! What the heck kinda toy is that?
- A Toyota Yaris
- A whut Yaris?
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!
 
Tamago's Avatar
 
Drives: ZZW30
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,890
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbond View Post
^ I can honestly say I've never seen that combination. Have any example pics?
nothing fantastic. let me check my photobucket.

nope, only this. you can kinda see the reflection of them (they're not on obviously)

i'll keep looking

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
mrbond
 
mrbond's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 960
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Right now I've got blue driving lights, but that just makes me look really ricey and kinda not straight. If the dark ambers look as good as you say, I'll start looking for some.
__________________
- HOOOEY! That's one tahny little cawr! What the heck kinda toy is that?
- A Toyota Yaris
- A whut Yaris?
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!
 
Tamago's Avatar
 
Drives: ZZW30
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,890
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbond View Post
Right now I've got blue driving lights, but that just makes me look really ricey and kinda not straight. If the dark ambers look as good as you say, I'll start looking for some.
they're in every auto parts store :) amber 194 bulbs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #16
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!
 
Tamago's Avatar
 
Drives: ZZW30
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South FL
Posts: 4,890
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
headlight on in broad daylight, taken with my cellphone camera. doesn't do the look justice, sorry

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #17
mrbond
 
mrbond's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 960
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
I think I get the idea though. I'm going to go to autozone after work and pick these up. I'll try uploading a pic or two, including one with the blue lights (blech).
__________________
- HOOOEY! That's one tahny little cawr! What the heck kinda toy is that?
- A Toyota Yaris
- A whut Yaris?
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #18
TheRealEnth
Beast
 
TheRealEnth's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,365
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
well these little useless lights you guys so speak of, have lots of purpose's. One main one is to have them on in parking garages. No lights, its too dark. Lights on, you blind people easily due to the going up and down part (i hate those bastards) and then we have the parking garage lights... made to do what they do perfectly, they don't have to be white though. They just need to be a dim light. I wanna see how amber and blue look
__________________

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bulb Replacement Guide (led Sizes) theFEVA Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior) 113 02-28-2017 01:02 PM
DIY (08' USDM Liftback): ESUSE Fog Light Install v2.0 goku87 DIY / Maintenance / Service 125 08-23-2015 10:12 PM
How many forum posters does it take to change a light bulb? silver_echo Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions 25 06-27-2011 02:50 AM
The right fog light bulb exploded and cracked the lense vacantj DIY / Maintenance / Service 1 08-01-2007 05:07 AM
Help: Water/Moisture Entered Fog Light Assembly bigsky2 DIY / Maintenance / Service 10 12-19-2006 01:10 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:02 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.