Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2006, 08:59 PM   #19
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell
How is the sound quality using the stock HU and a 4 channel amp using a high level converter? I have a Blaupunkt PA4100 that comes with its own converter. I know I will lose my fader control, but I'm more concerned about sound quality. Anyone know?
Actually... if you use Hi-Level inputs on an equipped 4-channel amp, I don't beleive you'll lose your fade control, I've never had that problem, anyway.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:58 PM   #20
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
^ He's right
using high level inputs you keep the ability to fade F~R and R~L
Old 10-19-2006, 02:55 AM   #21
mhero

Drives: Yaris 5Dr.
Personally, I recommend replacing "speakers" first
then HU ... my Yaris got 5-ch amp, 2 pairs of new speakers
and a subwoofer speaker

Guess what? the quality of sound got way better but not yet
impressive 'coz of the HU

So, afterall, HU needs to be replaced to rock the system!!

http://www.yarismaniac.com/index.php?showtopic=282
mhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:51 AM   #22
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Damn right, the HU will make a dramatic improvement.

Higher voltage preouts for the win, and make sure your deck is enabled with a function to turn OFF the INTERNAL amplifier to push out more power to the RCAs.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #23
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
Damn right, the HU will make a dramatic improvement.

Higher voltage preouts for the win, and make sure your deck is enabled with a function to turn OFF the INTERNAL amplifier to push out more power to the RCAs.

uhhh.. turning off internal amp doesn't give more power to the pre-out RCA's.....
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #24
ajae

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5-door hatch
Better sound and flexibility on a budget

Here's what I did

Start with
4 channel Kenwood amp (I had a used one that I've owned for years)
12" sub in homemade box (I used MDF to keep it solid. It fits behind the rear seat on the liftback by sliding the seat forward about 1/2 and inch; I have the 60/40 split rear seat)
4X6 pioneer speakers mounted to lift-back rear deck (whatever you call it!)

Tap off the existing rear speaker wires as high level inputs into the amp off the stock deck. Run the right channel to the Right 'A' input and the left channel to 'B' input. Connect 'A' input to 4X6 speakers (yes you only get the right channel but bear with me, it gets even hokier). Then the left channel as a bridge/mono connection to the sub-woofer. Keep the stock rear speakers hooked up and the fronts the same. Use the low-pass filter on the 'B' input to keep the low frequencies to the sub and then the high pass filter for the little 4X6's on the rear deck.

Result: I've got small kids that don't like the thump of a sub (neither does my wife, so using the Fade control on the stock deck, I am able to remove the sub completely and still have music in the front while driving). Separating the channels allows me to have low-pass and high-pass from a single amp which fits under the front passenger seat. I have quick connectors for the rear deck speakers and the sub, so I can remove them in case I need to transport anything large and use the cargo area.

Now, that you've picked yourself off the floor from laughing so hard; remember, it's a low-budget job.

Love my Yaris.
Love my toys!
ajae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #25
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX
uhhh.. turning off internal amp doesn't give more power to the pre-out RCA's.....
uhhh.. Yes it does.

It doesn't give a significant amount of power to the preouts. But it pushes cleaner and more stable power to the pre-outs than if your internal amplifier remained ON.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp preout.bmp (205.6 KB, 102 views)
Old 10-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #26
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
If I go with a new HU, I will get the Panasonic CQ-VD6503U (DTS, Dolby Digital, 6.5" screen double-din). Speakers will be Panasonic CJ-DVD177. The Amp is a Blaupunkt PA4100 Digital Amp (Tripath) at 4X100W.
I think this system should be adequate. Tight is the word.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:05 PM   #27
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Nice equipment nsmitchell.

Or shall I say, TIGHT?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:06 PM   #28
Yaris-TJ

Drives: Yaris Sedan ST Barcelona Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhero
Personally, I recommend replacing "speakers" first
then HU ... my Yaris got 5-ch amp, 2 pairs of new speakers
and a subwoofer speaker

Guess what? the quality of sound got way better but not yet
impressive 'coz of the HU

So, afterall, HU needs to be replaced to rock the system!!

http://www.yarismaniac.com/index.php?showtopic=282
I think this is the way to go if you don't want to lose the stock unit, and look.

2 new front + 2 new rear + low signal converter + 1-4 channel Amp.

This will give an improvement, still mantaining the stock HU, which I personally like, and proly keep for some months...

IMO, i don't plan to spend thousands of bucks on car audio, but I'd start with 100 for a fairly decent couple of 6x9 that I can get at Circuit city..I won't tell my wife! like a mexican saying " it's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission"
Yaris-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:28 AM   #29
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I like the Panny stuff. That HU I have my eye on (CQ-VD6503U) is about $500.00. I like it for the obvious reasons, but it also plays DVD-Rs with MP3s on them. I guess that's about 1700 songs at 5mb each, on a dual-layer DVD-R.
I hope nobody steals my system. I hate alarms! I might need a faux radio cover or something... also that unit can take modules like bluetooth, NAV and iPod and actually control the iPod from the HU. Supersweet for around 500 beans.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:32 PM   #30
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
uhhh.. Yes it does.

It doesn't give a significant amount of power to the preouts. But it pushes cleaner and more stable power to the pre-outs than if your internal amplifier remained ON.

it's the heat and interference from the built in amp that create distortions. you still will not get more power through the pre-outs if you disable the internal amp.

a 4v pre-out will still be a 4v pre-out weither your built-in amp is on or off. to provide accurate lines, many manufacturers use DC-DC converters. see alpine or eclipse.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #31
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX
it's the heat and interference from the built in amp that create distortions. you still will not get more power through the pre-outs if you disable the internal amp.

a 4v pre-out will still be a 4v pre-out weither your built-in amp is on or off. to provide accurate lines, many manufacturers use DC-DC converters. see alpine or eclipse.
Not necessarily.

As I've repeated before, turning off the internal amp does provide more power to the preout but not a significant amount.

I am not saying that a 4v preout will operate at 5v after turning off the internal amp.

What I am trying to say is that the preout will operate at its optimal levels closest to its highest maximum output, say 4v, when the internal amplifier is off.

Use a multimeter and see this for yourself. The rca preout will never operate a constant stable 4V or whatever it is specified to be. There will always be fluctuations with the output. When the internal amp is off, it will operate near the maximum output at a better rate. This is what I mean when I said that it would push out more power to the RCAs, not generate a higher preout.

So instead of operating at 3.4~3.6v, the preout will operate at 3.7~3.8v.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:08 PM   #32
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

I know about DC-DC converters as I own an Eclipse amp myself

DC-DC Converters are used to provide higher rail-to-rail voltage to generate much higher output power for the amplifier. Typically a car battery only provides 12~13.5v which is not nearly enough to power 4 speakers running at 100w rms each. The solution is to step up the voltage from the battery to something higher, usually balanced pos/neg rails for the amplifier itself.

This has nothing to do with the head unit's preouts, as the head unit's preouts have a supply current of their own.